XMP Memory?

ntaguitar

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
I am getting an i5 750 with an intel p55kg extreme board. I saw in a review video that in order to get to higher memory speeds I need to get memory with XMP (extreme memory profile).

The memory I am looking at buying is Corsair XMS3 2x2 4g DDR3 class 7. I cannot find anywhere on any specs, even the manufacturer's website mentioning XMP. Does this memory support XMP or do you have any suggestions for similar DDR3 1600 memory?

Solution
You don't need XMP RAM. All you have to do is spend about a minute in the BIOS manually setting the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the RAM's rated values. XMP RAM is for people that aren't capable of performing that simple step.

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I dont believe you need XMP memory if you and the motherboard are capable of manually overclocking your board. XMP allows the novice overclocker a way to easily overclock their system. I do have XMP memory but I do not use the XMP profile - preferring to set the clocks manually.

If they dont mention XMP then they dont have it. I do not have specific knowledge of that RAM. Basically you need to ensure the memory runs at 1.65V, older RAM or incompatible RAM may require 2.2V to meet overclocked timings - something you do not do with i5's/P55.

Hit up Newegg and the ones with XMP will have it listed.

ntaguitar

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

I do not have any experience with overclocking personally, is it easy to pick up on with some research?

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
An i5 750 cannot run RAM at 1600 without OCing. If you turn on XMP, your motherboard will OC your RAM but more than likely give a slight OC to your CPU while taking away settings such as Turbo. As a result, your CPU will actually be running slower than the +1 'free' Turbo the i5 provides, not to mention the additional speed you'll have lost when 1, 2 or 3 of the cores are shutdown.

Moral of the story: If you're not interested in OCing, don't expect to run your RAM at 1600. If you are interested in OCing, do a little research and do it yourself, don't let the motherboard decide how to do it for you or you could lose capabilities you thought you had.

spot50

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
hello if you may have over 1333mhz memory it is xmp like if you got 1600 so go to bios and enable xmp memory it will switch to 1600,if you dont enable xmp it stay at 1333 even if you have 1600mhz

spot50

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
and i got myself an intel board and if you turn on xmp memory dont worry about overclocking because with this new i5 the turbo mode will boost your clock to 3,8 and it's ther same with my new msi p55-gd65,i enable my xmp to 1600 and fly to 3.8 but be sure to have a better cooling for you cpu to keep it stable