My new build with pictures

yannickhk

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Hello everyone,

I just finished my first build ever, and everything is working. I am posting this pictures to thank you all, here at tom's Hardware for the great help, from choosing my components to closing my case. You are all amazing.

Here we go

P1170034.jpg

My case, thermaltake armor+ 6000 with nothing but the PSU, ANTEC quattro 850, mounted in it. At this point, I jumped started the PSU to test my pump, a Koolance RP-1000BK. I did it when the reservoir was empty (oops!!). Luckily, I didn't burn the pump.
As you can see, my desk was really messy at this point, I didn't know where to start and man was I anxious about screwing up lol

P1170036.jpg

Some of my tools and the CPU cooling block, a Koolance CPU-350AC. I didn't really know which bracket to use, the block came with a manual in Chinese :ouch: But well, I live in China so I should have expected it. Anyway, I figured it out.

P1170038.jpg

Here are my two Sapphire HD5850 mounted in their cooling blocks, 2 VID-AR587 from Koolance. I got worried while installing those blocks. After screwing the card onto them, I realized that one of the card got bent a little because I had forgotten a stop-screw (don't know how to call it in English, sorry). But no harm done. I didn't use those crappy plastic things to fix the PCI cards from Thermaltake. I used screws instead.

I really like the removable MB panel from the case, it makes it really easy for n00bs like me to install all the cards and the motherboards onto it and gives plenty of space to install the liquid cooling system without having to worry about spilling cooling liquid onto your components ...

P1170039.jpg

A really good look on my motherboard which really kicks ass. It is the 790FXTA UD5 from GIGABYTE and is by far my favorite component. It seems very solid, the BIOS is very well done, easy to overclock (even for n00bs). As you can see, at this point my CPU, an AMD PII X4 965BE 125W, and my memory sticks, 4 X 2GB DDR3 1600 RIPJAW from G-SKILL are already installed. Didn't have any problems.
This motherboard really looks great ... (but i am biased :sol: )

The HDD is installed in the bracket too, a WD RE3 1TB 7200RPM. I didn't make a picture of it. I am planning on upgrading with 3 more of those for a RAID10 or 0+1 array very soon. Maybe even going to add to those 3, 2 SSD INTEL X-25M 160GB in a RAID0 .... we'll see. The SSD are still really expensive....

P1170041.jpg

The messiest desk ever :eek:

P1170043.jpg

Back to the case without the motherboard tray. Just cables, and cables and cables :cry: :pt1cable: At this stage, i am preparing myself for the installation of the liquid cooling ...

P1170044.jpg

And so it starts :) You can see the back of my koolance RP-1000 and the first one fan radiator. I have mounted a 120mm fan with a blue LED on it. I didn't fix anything to the case, it is just lying there on top of the HDD rack. It doesn't move though, the tubes hold it in place. No vibrations or such. The CPU cooling block is in the loop.

P1170047.jpg

Another picture where you can see where I put the radiator a little better. Nothing fancy.

P1170048.jpg

The liquid cooling system is installed. I have the first radiator (1 fan) that gets the water first then goes to the CPU, then goes into the 2 fans radiator with powerful fans cooling it and to finish the loop, goes to the two video cards. It is starting to take shape. And I am getting quite handy with my screw driver lol (first time that I hold one of these)

P1180050.jpg

Time to jump-start my pump with the cooling liquid (feser one green .... obviously lol). Works like a charm. I let it pump for 10 minutes to remove the bubbles. I am starting to be really proud of myself :sol:

Solution
for now i say keep your hard drives in raid 0. yes ssd is very fast and good but too me they are just way too overpriced. about 400+ for each intel $800 for 2 on raid 0 will be awesomely fast but for gaming it only boots it faster and you will not see a fps change at all! i say save ur money and ithink people were telling me raptors are the best for desktops.

yannickhk

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Continued

P1180056.jpg

Time to connect the MB and the other components to the PSU. Cable management really ain't my forte, and I didn't want to screw too much around with the liquid cooling running .... So I left it like you can see on this picture.

P1180061.jpg

This is the computer, up and running while installing windows 7 64bit. And I am really happy with it. I am playing Mass effect 2, dirt2 at max setting without a glitch.
Idle CPU 21, LOAD 41 max (@ at 3.9Ghz). The temperature of the GPU never exceeds 45C, even under heavy load (crysis) with the fans at 4 out of 9 on the koolance settings. They are barely audible.

SO, that's it. I wanted to thank all of you but more specifically the users who have answered all of my (stupid) questions. I cannot sadly cite you by name as I don't remember them (sorry about that), but you will recognize yourselves).

I really wanted to post this because of all the n00bs out there like me, hesitating to build their first computer because of their lack of knowledge. Go for it boys (and girls), the users of tom's hardware will guide you all the way (except for the CPU ... it is better to make up your own mind as any question about AMD and INTEL always ends in a brawl between fan boys :non: ). I had never held a screwdriver in my life, even less opened the side panel of a computer, but I made it. It is quite an adventure, it took me two days to finish the build but man was it fun and enjoyable.

Thanks you guys (and girls) :hello: wish I could buy a beer to yall lol

Nick

PS: I know that this is not the place to ask, but my front panel LED are not working (no lights), none of them (power, HDD activity ...) Is there any way to open that part of the case to check out what's wrong? I thought that maybe I forgot to connect something, which is still possible, but I just couldn't find anything ... If only i could open the damn thing lol

stephen0983

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
wow that's a great first time build. jeesh my first build was an AMD K6-2, that was a while ago. i built it with paper route money lol.

umm for your LEDs, those should plug from the case to your motherboard, check the mobo manual for where to put them exactly. They are labelled.

yannickhk

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

Yes, I did that. But is there a 4, 3 or 2 pin connector for power?? Couldn't find any. Thanks for the 'great build' BTW.

Nice looking build!

Thanks

BTW, any advice on this would really be appreciated. What should I do?

The HDD is installed in the bracket too, a WD RE3 1TB 7200RPM. I didn't make a picture of it. I am planning on upgrading with 3 more of those for a RAID10 or 0+1 array very soon. Maybe even 2 SSD INTEL X-25M 160GB in a RAID0 more .... we'll see. The SSD are still really expensive....

Tremec

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
According to the case manual on page 11 it shows the 4 connectors for the front panel, with these there is a negative and a positive, if you have these plugged in already try reversing them on the pins as from what I can see in the manual they did not put the + or - on the plugs.
The motherboard manual can be downloaded in multiple languages.
This is a clip from page 27 showing the connections and the polarity (+ / -)
18037_295631849456_667309456_3380040_5440673_n.jpg

Good luck!

yannickhk

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

Thanks

According to the case manual on page 11 it shows the 4 connectors for the front panel, with these there is a negative and a positive, if you have these plugged in already try reversing them on the pins as from what I can see in the manual they did not put the + or - on the plugs.
The motherboard manual can be downloaded in multiple languages.
This is a clip from page 27 showing the connections and the polarity (+ / -)
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot [...] 0673_n.jpg
Good luck!

Ok, I will try that later today. I will let you know how it works out.

Any advice regarding the HDD upgrades?

yannickhk

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

Thank you very. It turned out that I had installed all connectors upside down .... Everything is working great now.

I am adding two pictures. One of the computer and one of the 24' monitor

05022010.jpg

05022010001.jpg

yannickhk

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

You made your notebook yourself??? Wow, I didn't even know that it was possible. Gotta try that too. But later, I have spent way too mush money into this desktop lol

Besides, I'd like to upgrade my HDD first.

yannickhk

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

Nice. Is it more complicated than to build a desktop??

Just out of curiosity, do you think that it would be possible to build a MacBook pro?

yannickhk

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

Darn, and here I was hoping to build my own macbook at 600 bucks lol. Those laptops are really very nice but way overpriced....

About my eventual HDD upgrade, do you have any advice? Would 3 more WD RE3 in a RAID 10 or 0+1 be enough, or should I go for 2 SSD intelX25-m 160GB in RAID0 as well? I really hesitate regarding the SSD. It's very expensive and I am not certain that the tech is ready yet. But maybe you can shed some light on this.

Espada

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
for now i say keep your hard drives in raid 0. yes ssd is very fast and good but too me they are just way too overpriced. about 400+ for each intel $800 for 2 on raid 0 will be awesomely fast but for gaming it only boots it faster and you will not see a fps change at all! i say save ur money and ithink people were telling me raptors are the best for desktops.

Solution

yannickhk

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

Yeah, the SSD are really expensive. I am going buy 3 more WD RE3 for a RAID 10 array. Those are not the velociraptors though. The drive that I have is the western digital RE3 7200 1TB, you can find it here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136313&cm_re=western_digital_re3-_-22-136-313-_-Product .

I wanted to buy the new Samsung spinpoint F3 drive but couldn't find it in Hong Kong or China for that matter.

yannickhk

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

This mobo is perfect in my opinion. I really didn't find any cons ...

mrcountry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
You are saying that you are running (4 X 2GB DDR3 1600 RIPJAW ) on the Gigabyte 790FXTA UD5. I think thats wonderful. I just called gigabyte tech and they told me that I could only run ( ddr3 1600 ) & Up in 3 & 4 only. Did they lie to me and will the ( DDR3 1600 RIPJAW ) work in all for banks. I'm just trying to get everything ordered for my first build. What I have so far is listed below. Thanks so much for any help.

HAF 932 AMD Edition
Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5
AMD x4 965 Black Edition
Cooler Master RS850 PSU
WD 1 TB SATA 3 6GB Hard Drive