Sign in with
Your question

How to set up SSD

Last response: in Storage
February 4, 2012 4:35:38 AM

Hey guys. I have a 1TB HDD I would likle to use to store larger files... music, some games that I don't play as much, pictures, movies, etc.

I bought a M4 SSD and I want to Install my OS on it. How do I proceed to set this thing up?

This is what I have in mind can confirm if this is the correct way:

Unplug my HDD which currently has my Windows 7 installed.

Plug in my M4 SSD

Boot into BIOs and change my SSD SATA port to AHCI mode

Reboot to Windows 7 Set up and install win 7 on my SSD

Disconnect my SSD and connect my HDD. Boot with windows 7 disk and erase everything, format/delete the HDD (I don't have anything that I need to transfer..)

Turn off my computer.

Connect BOTH my SSD and HDD. now here's a question How should I set up the boot order? #1 SSD, #2 HDD, #3 CD-rom? or #2 and #3 swapped around

And after that I should be all set to go?

And in the future if I would like to add more SSD space to install programs and other database that I Would like to run FAST how should I set it up? I heard people saying Raid0 Raid1 stuff.. what does that mean does it have to do with adding a new SSD once my current SSD space runs out?

And how much empty space should I leave on my SSD because i know filling it up completely will reduce the performance.. so how much of the SSD should I use % wise or GB wise is ok

THat's all :)  thanks hope someone can help me clear this up!

More about : set ssd

a b G Storage
February 4, 2012 4:49:21 AM

RAID usually refers to RAID 0, which is a method of using two drives to increase transfer speeds. IMO, it's better to have more fast (SSD) space than less still faster (SSD RAID) space.
The boot order doesn't really matter. If you ever want to boot from the DVD you'll be paying enough attention to select it in the BIOS, so the automatic lineup won't do anything.

A couple of SSD tips:
-turn off automatic defragmentation
-turn off indexing on the SSD only, not on the HDD
-turn off hibernate: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enab...
m
l
Related resources
February 4, 2012 4:59:09 AM

where do i go to turn off auto defrag?

and about the RAID thing.

How do I go about setting that up in the future if i want more SSD space. My data is important as well so I can't risk losing it when a SSD blows up... could i have 2x SSD to run all my stuff and have an image back up on my HDD?

wouuld that mean my computer would run slower because it's writing onto my HDD? how does it all work speedwise?

What would be the best option for me if i want to add more SSD space in the future and also want to backup all my stuff as well so incase my SSD blows up I can click a few buttons and have all my settings/files loaded onto my SSD again without much hassel?

and how much SSD space can I use before it starts hindering my SSD performance?

Thanks!
m
l
a b G Storage
February 4, 2012 5:18:36 AM

You should have a spare HDD for backup. Just back up as often as you want: every day, every week, whatever.
I don't think RAID will be useful to you. When you need more space, just get another SSD and plug it in as a separate drive.
I'm not sure about a solid number at which your drive will start to slow down. Just leave a few gigs.
m
l
February 4, 2012 5:42:42 AM

sweet any good programs you recommend that is good at backing up my system image like on daily/weekly basis?

and when I run out of SSD storage just stick another one in as another drive and keep using? like I can install programs/games on that SSD still and it'l be just like my current SSD except seperated into 2 drives and larger space?

Would it hinder my performance if the 2nd SSD i get was a Sata2 ? or would Sata3 one just run at Sata3 speed and Sata2 one run at Sata2 speed and wont effect each other?
m
l
a b G Storage
February 4, 2012 2:01:33 PM

Windows itself has a perfectly good backup tool.

There are certain programs that will only work when installed on your C (system) drive. You should manage your space carefully, installing only the programs (including games) that will benefit from the SSD's speed on it. If there are programs whose launch speed you don't care about, you can often tell them to install on C but keep their files elsewhere. This means that their important registry information will live on C.
m
l
!