XP Setup Problem

I recently formatted my sons harddrive which had XP on it previously.When I
try to reinstall I get a message that certain files cannot be copied.I have
tried this over and over again with the same results.I have done everything
that the knowledge base says even flashed the bios.I built the system it was
running fine accept for the spyware and popups.Can someone please
help.Thanks in advance.

Rich
2 answers Last reply
More about setup problem

    Probably because you formatted ahead of time. That's unnecessary with XP as
    you can format during XP setup which is where the procedure should be done.

    I don't know what procedure for installation you are using but the following
    are the proper steps:

    Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive, boot with the XP
    CD in the drive. If it isn't or you are not sure, you need to enter the
    system's BIOS. When you boot the system, the first screen usually has
    instructions that if you wish to enter setup press a specific key, when you
    see that, do so. Then you will have to navigate to the boot sequence, if
    the CD-ROM drive is not first line, set it first in the boot sequence. Save
    your settings and exit with the XP CD in the drive. The system will reboot.

    A few screens into the boot process, if you see the message on the boot
    screen to "Press any key in order to boot from the CD," do so.

    After loading drivers and files, you should be taken to a screen with
    the following:

    To Setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
    To Repair a Windows XP Installation using Recovery Console press R.
    To Quit setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

    In your case, press ENTER.

    Agree to the License agreement by pressing F8.

    You will then be taken to a screen with two options.

    To repair the selected Windows XP installation press R.
    To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing,
    press ESC.

    This will bring you to a partition map where you
    can delete, create and format partitions.
    Select the drive you wish to format, delete the partition, then create a new
    partition, format as desired and continue with XP installation.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Richard Balaban" <rbalaban@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >I recently formatted my sons harddrive which had XP on it previously.When
    > try to reinstall I get a message that certain files cannot be copied.I
    > have
    > tried this over and over again with the same results.I have done
    > everything
    > that the knowledge base says even flashed the bios.I built the system it
    > was
    > running fine accept for the spyware and popups.Can someone please
    > help.Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Rich

    Richard, you could try copying the contents of the WinXP CD to the hard
    drive and do the install from there.
    From the WinXP CD choose the New Install Advanced Option. It should
    give you the choice. Also while there you can
    delete and create a new partition and reformat.

    "Richard Balaban" <rbalaban@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >I recently formatted my sons harddrive which had XP on it previously.When
    > try to reinstall I get a message that certain files cannot be copied.I
    > have
    > tried this over and over again with the same results.I have done
    > everything
    > that the knowledge base says even flashed the bios.I built the system it
    > was
    > running fine accept for the spyware and popups.Can someone please
    > help.Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Rich

Configuration Windows XP