joe777

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
I use my Rybka chess program everyday.I have an HP Quadcore(AMD Phenom X4 9750).I keep reading in many chess forums that turning OFF the hyperthreads associated with that game program is a must for optimum performance,speed ect.
First of all,is this true when using gaming programs like a chess program and using all 4 cores,that switching off hyperthreading is a good thing to do?Yes,no?
If so,am I switching off all hyperthreading or just the hyperthreading associated with my particular Ryb chess program?
And exactly how do I do this?
I know how to get into reading the CPU graphs....ctrl+alt+del then click on task manager,but after that i'm lost.
Any pro's out there that can help?

You'd need to go into the BIOS to disable/enable it, but your AMD Phenom X4 9750 doesn't have/support HyperThreading... no AMD processors do, it's an Intel technology, and only the Pentium 4 HT, Atom, Core i3, Core i5 600 and Core i7s have HT...

joe777

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
Perhaps i should leave it on.But are you a gaming expert that is aware of the advantages of turning off HT in a chess game program for example?In the Rybka forums,quite a few programming experts claim that the strength of the chess program definitely increases.Many claim that is is actually BAD for the Hthreads to be active.I just wanted some 2nd party opinions,some confirmation of this and then exactly how to do it.

AMD never has had HT, although they may be developing something similar in the future.
As for the 837 threads, I'm supposing those are all individual processes currently running on your computer, but I'm not really sure.

HyperThreading, IIRC, is running multiple (two) threads per core, doubling the amount of cores there are, but the performance boost is only measurable in some applications like video editing etc, but it does slow down games a lot not sure why exactly, but that's the reason why the Phenom II X4 965 beats the Core i7 920 in a few games like H.A.W.X.

joe777

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010

under applications and windows internet explorer(in task manager) it states:
"hyperthreading on" with my chess program.

It appears that you must be incorrect in regards to my AMD Phenom X4 9750 quadcore.
If it didn't have "hyperthreading",then it would not say this.

popatim

Titan
Thats telling you how many threads are running. Think of a thread as a small individual program thats part of a larger program.

Hyperthreading is an intel technology that simulates cpu 2 cores from 1 actual core. Some programs benefit from this as there is often plenty of real cpu time left to do this. other programs are so intensive that it slows them down. For example, a call to the harddrive for a file might take 10 ms, in that same time the cpu could process a few hundred thousand more instructions. Hyperthreading helps keep the core loaded by having a special area to very quickly switch between the 'running' threads.

No Amd doesnot have hyperthreading but they did forget to mention that the atom processor does have several models with it.

joe777

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
well,you guys know alot more than me...i'm a novice,but then why would it use the words "hyperthreading on"in my task application?Something very strange there......see my point?