Q9550 temperature issue?

gaurav0110

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Hi again to all gamers....

My gaming rig has been a rock steady machine and takes everything so easily since I upgraded (Nov 2010) using advices in this forum.

Specifications:

Asus P5Q-VM Motherboard (G45 Chipset)
Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9550 (12M Cache, 2.83 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB) CPU
Intel stock Heat Sink and CPU fan
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1024MB GPU
Corsair TX 750W PSU
6 GB Kingston 800MHz DDR2 RAM (2*2GB, 2*1GB)
500 GB + 250 GB 7200 RPM Western Digital SATA HDD
Samsung DVD R/W
Cooler Master Blade Master 80mm Case fan
iBall Grabit Cabinet
Dell E228WFP 22" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor
Razer BlackWidow Keyboard
Razer DeathAdder Mouse
Razer Goliathus Mouse Pad
Microsoft XBOX controller for Windows
Creative 2.1 Speakers
Belkin WiFi Router
Microtek UPS

Please note that I currently don't overclock CPU/GPU and run them at stock speeds.

I recently completed Dead Space 2, Assassin's creed 2 and BulletStorm. I played these games and almost all other with the settings as High for all options, 1680 * 1050 Resolution and 2X antialiasing. These settings keep the game running at >50 fps which is my preferred fps.

now, time for queries.
I recently installed a software CPU-Z to track my CPU temperature. I am at Delhi, India, the current outside temperature is 30 C and I don't have an air conditioner at my room as of now :( . According to CPU-Z,my system starts at 40 C temperature. On normal usage except gaming, it tops up to 48 C. However, while playing the above games on those settings, the temperature tops upto 77 C . As per the intel website Tcase temperature for Q9550 should be 71.4 C atleast on stock speeds I believe.

Is the temperature for my Q9550 77 C ok or a reason to worry?
My GPU GTX 460 also tops to 70 C, is that fine?
If the CPU temp as 77 C, please suggest a good air cooling solution. Should I change the stock intel fan/heat sink which came with the CPU. If so, which are the good ones? Also, currently, the GPU, PSU fan, extra case fan, all throw air out of my case. Should I install a fan on the side of my cabinet to suck air inside?

majin ssj eric

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
An intake fan in front or the side may help but your high room temps are probably going to make it tough to cool that cpu with the stock HSF. Considering the warm nature of your computer's surroundings, you probably should install a good aftermarket cooler. It will definitely lower your temps....

gaurav0110

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Hey guys...I really appreciate your responses....

firstly, sorry for the mistake in my last post. the software I use to monitor my CPU temperature is Core Temp. just thought of mentioning this as it might be of some difference to you guys...

the Hyper 212 Plus looks really awesome. I want to install it on my CPU since i checked it out. However, was wondering if it is the best available air cooler in the market. Please suggest the best air coolers as I am not at all aware of these things. I would like to stick to air cooling as I have heard liquid cooling gets really complicated, and I am new to this stuff so... Also, please advice a couple of other options as well (budget is not a problem)

Please answer my other questions:
My GPU GTX 460 also tops to 70 C, is that fine?
My case currently doesn't have a fan grill in the front/top/bottom :fou: . I plan to get a HAF-X in future but currently can I install a 80 mm fan sucking air in at the left side of my case as currently, the GPU, PSU fan, extra case fan, all throw air out of my case from back.

Also, I have another query: I realized that I have upgraded and took care of almost every component in my rig except the UPS. I am still using the old MicroTek UPS which is no good. Infact, when ever a switch happens between main power and generator at my home, there is a gap of 10 sec, in which my system goes pooof if I am gaming. the UPS gives backup if I am watching a movie or at normal load, but it is not able to provide the wattage when gaming. Please suggest if any alteration is possible or any good new UPS which will suit my rig.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
Yes, sucking air into the case from the side is a good idea, as it will help lower the CPU temperatures, but your case must provide for that.

The Hyper 212 plus is a great CPU cooler that doesn't cost much. There are other high-end coolers, but since you don't overclock, don't bother about them.

Considering that yo are in Delhi, 70 C max for a GTX 460 is nothing to worry about.

gaurav0110

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
hey guys....
thanx a ton for the valuable inputs. I have decided to buy a Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced Chasis with a Cooler Master N620 cpu air cooler. Also, I am getting the Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers along.....

Hope the new chasis will make my pc components feel good. The only confusion right now is 912 Advanced comes with a front red LED fan but the cooler N620 has blue LED fans. I am no sure if it will look good? only way to know will to buy and find out...

gaurav0110

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Thanks guys for so many valuable advices.... as suggested I cleaned the old thermal paste properly and used a good thermal paste to fit in the N620 cooler. Got the HAF 912 Advanced case also.... Just completed Crysis 2 on my new rig n it came out awesome

Crysis 2
earlier max CPU temp: 80 C
now max CPU temp: 56 C
earlier max GPU temp: 77 C
now max GPU temp: 65 C

& my rig now looks awesome!!!!!