CPUHS incomparability issue

Ziai

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Hello. I have an issue here.
I have build my pc recently. Unfortunately I dont get to use my CPUHS I've bought.
Let me continue with my build:
MoBo: g1.snyper 3
CPU: i7 3770k
RAM: babies from samsung
GPU: 2x GTX 670 EVGA 4GB
! CPUHS: ZALMAN CNPS12X

I am using x16 slots for GPUs so its the one next to CPU and another two slots down.

So I need your opinion on my next steps.
Dont wanna use Inter stock HS any more.

I already have backplate stuck on my mother board, and "unstucking" it seems to be a tricky task.
So I am wondering what options do I have?
1) using angle grinder to shrink 2-3mm of heatsink of CPUHS so it fits RAM and GPU
2)placing it in an angle so that GPU is blocking the airflow into/out of CPUHS.
3)moving my GPUs to x8 slots :((((
4)buying another CPUHS so that it will fit that backplate of zalman cnpsx12 which is already on my MoBo

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
It's unlikely that you will saturate your X8 slots but, I still recommend a different cooler. The one you have is simply the wrong tool for your particular application.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
They all have the same mounting points, but there could be compatability issues with the "elevation" of the mounting points off the motherboard, and the thread pitch of the screws used.

But I would expect that aftermarket heat sinks are more likely to be compatable with each other's backplates than not.

Ziai

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
do you think I have any chance to sell my ZALMAN CNPS12X without backplate on any market... if you you guys know any forums etc where people would be more interested in that?

Ziai

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
I've tried putting GPUs to x8 slots. but I ended up in x16 and x8 slots (the middle ones)
because the x16 slot which is close to the edge of motherboard has all those cmos, reset, hhd light etc etc + usb connections.. and the are too tall for a gpu to go on top of them.
SO
atm there is no gap between GPUs and it makes one of them to run on higher temps but nothing critical, I have reached only 45 degrees and I have lots of headroom on fan spinning speed.
I am not in a trouble leaving it like that, right?

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
I would prefer a gap for cool air to get into the fan, but do some load testing and see just how hot things get.

I prefer to stay below 70C max, but you are probably okay up to 80C. (some of these cards are rated up near 100C, but I would expect those temps to shorten lifespan)