Sign in with
Your question
Solved

3tb windows 7 x64 still can't figure it out

Last response: in Storage
February 4, 2012 2:00:00 PM

My system is an ip35proMB. My boot drive is a velociraptor 150. I also have 2 WD250gb caviar drives in RAID as a mirror. 8gb RAM. Q6600....Windows 7 Ultimate x64

So I just added a green WD3tb drive. I am NOT booting from this drive. It only shows as 746gb in windows and 801gb in BIOS. I have switched to GPT to no avail. I read somewhere about possible outdated Intel RST drivers but my MB uses JMICRON drivers. I have also updated these to no avail.

I think the problem is in my BIOS since it only reads 801gb. It is an older version of BIOS. Would that matter? Any other ideas? Thank you

More about : 3tb windows x64 figure

a b $ Windows 7
a c 523 G Storage
February 4, 2012 2:36:39 PM

hunter13in said:
I think the problem is in my BIOS since it only reads 801gb. It is an older version of BIOS. Would that matter?

Correct, the problem is your BIOS. You will have to upgrade to a newer motherboard that supports 3TB drives.

m
l
February 4, 2012 3:09:15 PM

Dereck, thanks for the reply. I have found many people on the internet that have successfully installed 3tb drives in the IP35pro MB. I have not found anything that says the MB itself would be an issue UNLESS I was trying to boot from the drive in which case I would need a UEFI motherboard.

I forgot to mention that the BIOS version is the original version that came on the MB. Could the BIOS version affect this?

Thank you
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a c 317 G Storage
February 4, 2012 3:31:56 PM

Don't know if your motherboard had a bios update to accommodate the 3tb drives, if not you would either need a new motherboard or a pci-e SATA adapter to use on older boards -- for a while WD was including them with their 3tb drives.

The very last bios for your board was actually a beta, and could?? support larger drives, I really don't know for sure. You can get the v18 bios HERE.
m
l
February 4, 2012 3:50:13 PM

Problem has been solved,,,,for now at least.....

I updated the Intel chipset drivers to the new RST drivers from Intel. The link shows the process. I simply installed those new drivers from 8.0xxxx to 10.8.0.1003. I rebooted and now there is 2800gb of unallocated space available. I converted to GPT then formatted and now we're in business.....

Good thing I didn't go get a new MB :sol: 

I appreciate the help, peeps...
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
a c 523 G Storage
February 4, 2012 4:25:05 PM

hunter13in said:
Good thing I didn't go get a new MB :sol: 

True; I would feel bad if I caused you to spend money unnecessarily. :) 

I learned something new. Thanks!
February 4, 2012 4:34:04 PM

No worries, man....thanks for the help!!
m
l
February 4, 2012 4:34:14 PM

Best answer selected by hunter13in.
m
l
!