Catalyst 10.1 probably out today

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Got 'em installed... But the CCC About window reports build string 2009.1211.1547.28237. '2009.1211' would seem to indicate December 11th, 2009, which is the same date on the Device Manager driver. Do I have the right thing installed?

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Hm... And my information center reports Catalyst version 9.12! Does anyone more familiar with ATI graphics software know if this is what should be displayed for Catalyst 10.1 drivers?

Has anyone seen the release notes for this set? i can't seem to find them, and in their monthly column, they don't advertise hardly any new features (though they say plenty of fun stuff is coming in the near future).

Thanks, from what I've seen on their forums (so take with quite a bit of salt) these drivers seem to mess up more than they add. So for now, since everything works for me, I think I'll pass.

adamh9

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010

I'm with ya!

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Anyone else having issues with their monitor not waking up? I told the OS to turn it off after 15 minutes of inactivity. It worked until I upgraded today... With driver version 8.690, jiggling the mouse and pressing keyboard buttons wouldn't re-activate the monitor. However, pressing the monitor's power button twice to turn it all the way off and then back on would wake it up. Weird.
I reverted to driver version 8.681 (but still using Catalyst Control Center 10.1), and the problem disappeared. I guess I'll have to join the wait-for-10.2-or-10.3 crowd for new drivers. Hopefully this bug will be gone by then.

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Just installed the 10.1s. Rubbish.

Where's the crossfire support for Eyefinity? Probably have to PRAY (like many others) that future drivers (aka "CAT 10.2 and 10.3 will be big")will be better I suppose.

Yes, it is new technology. Yes, thats what you get for buying the latest and "greatest", BUT imagine if ATI were to sell cars and had to constantly recall them for software glithches in their engine management systems? Like the monkey installing the video card on their advertisement, maybe they get monkeys to write their software as well.

Way to go ATI-giving false hope to the masses.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009

I agree that 10.1 was a mistake... (See the bug I encountered almost immediately in my previous post.) But, if you look at CatalystMaker's Twitter page, he says that 10.1 is just a bug fix release (ha!), and that 10.2 and 10.3 will introduce major new features. Remember, all the rumors about profiles, Eyefinity, updated Hybrid Crossifre, etc. were only rumors, and never confirmed by ATI. My personal opinion is that they delayed introducing some of the new features (like updated Hybrid Crossfire) in order to wait for the 5450/5570 releases in early-mid February. I don't have a clue why they delayed the rest...

Yeah, I really don't get why 10.1 was released at all (except to keep their monthly driver release record going), as it was obvious someone just realized the had forgotten about the January driver set and rushed one out (forgetting to change the stupid date and number is pretty telling). And as for bug fixes, from what I've heard it adds several that were fixed back in and doesn't correct many (if any) new ones.

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009

@Bolbi

Thank you for your thoughts.

My point being-Why trump up Eyefinity etc if ATI cant develop the software to go with it?

Its like they produced a supercar with a lawnmower engine in it.

If I'm not mistaken Formula 1 racing technology is developed so then it can be passed on to mass production. Not the other way around.

My point being-Shouldnt Eyefinity and other technologies be introduced in the 5970/5870/5850 series first?

Just my two cents. :sarcastic:

I wouldn't worry too much about the first driver set of the year. I imagine the parties from the holidays just ran over a bit and before they knew it the month was up and they had no drivers to show for it. If by 10.3 they still have made no progress, then I'd be very disappointed.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Well, AMD/ATI claims they are developing it. And Eyefinity has at least some support starting with Catalyst 9.10. (Supposedly; I don't have a supported card or more than one monitor hooked up to a single PC, so I can't comment on how much of it works so far.) But yes, I think you're right they should have had it completed and introduced it along with the 57xx/58xx/59xx cards.