Sign in with
Your question

Catalyst 10.1 probably out today

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 27, 2010 4:57:05 PM

Hi guys, just want to inform you that we may see catalyst 10.1 today :) 

http://twitter.com/catalystmaker

More about : catalyst today

January 27, 2010 5:42:56 PM

Got 'em installed... But the CCC About window reports build string 2009.1211.1547.28237. '2009.1211' would seem to indicate December 11th, 2009, which is the same date on the Device Manager driver. Do I have the right thing installed?
Related resources
January 27, 2010 5:44:38 PM

very strange, i have no idea. after i installed them it says that the catalyst version is 9.10 in the information center :S
January 27, 2010 6:14:02 PM

Hm... And my information center reports Catalyst version 9.12! Does anyone more familiar with ATI graphics software know if this is what should be displayed for Catalyst 10.1 drivers?
January 27, 2010 6:15:56 PM

Do I just download and run to upgrade? Do I need to do anything else?
January 27, 2010 6:38:54 PM

well i did it this way:

1. Uninstalled 9.12 via controlpanel
2. Rebooted
3. Installed 10.1
4. Rebooted :) 
January 27, 2010 6:59:04 PM

The correct 10.1 is up, the issue is that the version number just shows up as 9.12 - just use them as normal
5 minutes ago from TweetDeck
http://twitter.com/CatalystMaker
January 27, 2010 7:00:59 PM

Grrr wheres that delete button heheh
January 27, 2010 7:02:15 PM

Has anyone seen the release notes for this set? i can't seem to find them, and in their monthly column, they don't advertise hardly any new features (though they say plenty of fun stuff is coming in the near future).
January 27, 2010 7:08:46 PM

Thanks, from what I've seen on their forums (so take with quite a bit of salt) these drivers seem to mess up more than they add. So for now, since everything works for me, I think I'll pass.
January 27, 2010 7:15:42 PM

Not much being added here. Cat maker stated 10.2 and 10.3 will be big... If I didn't OCD about not having the latest drivers I'd probably pass on these.. lol
January 27, 2010 11:31:47 PM

[*** the rule "if it ain't broke , don't fix it!"
January 27, 2010 11:32:47 PM

daedalus685 said:
Not much being added here. Cat maker stated 10.2 and 10.3 will be big... If I didn't OCD about not having the latest drivers I'd probably pass on these.. lol

I'm with ya!
January 28, 2010 2:01:49 AM

Anyone else having issues with their monitor not waking up? I told the OS to turn it off after 15 minutes of inactivity. It worked until I upgraded today... With driver version 8.690, jiggling the mouse and pressing keyboard buttons wouldn't re-activate the monitor. However, pressing the monitor's power button twice to turn it all the way off and then back on would wake it up. Weird.
I reverted to driver version 8.681 (but still using Catalyst Control Center 10.1), and the problem disappeared. I guess I'll have to join the wait-for-10.2-or-10.3 crowd for new drivers. Hopefully this bug will be gone by then.
January 28, 2010 4:30:30 AM

Just installed the 10.1s. Rubbish.

Where's the crossfire support for Eyefinity? Probably have to PRAY (like many others) that future drivers (aka "CAT 10.2 and 10.3 will be big")will be better I suppose.

Yes, it is new technology. Yes, thats what you get for buying the latest and "greatest", BUT imagine if ATI were to sell cars and had to constantly recall them for software glithches in their engine management systems? Like the monkey installing the video card on their advertisement, maybe they get monkeys to write their software as well.

Way to go ATI-giving false hope to the masses.
January 28, 2010 5:27:58 AM

any improvement in performance with 4xxx series???
January 28, 2010 11:54:11 AM

hunuok said:
Just installed the 10.1s. Rubbish.

Where's the crossfire support for Eyefinity? Probably have to PRAY (like many others) that future drivers (aka "CAT 10.2 and 10.3 will be big")will be better I suppose.

Yes, it is new technology. Yes, thats what you get for buying the latest and "greatest", BUT imagine if ATI were to sell cars and had to constantly recall them for software glithches in their engine management systems? Like the monkey installing the video card on their advertisement, maybe they get monkeys to write their software as well.

Way to go ATI-giving false hope to the masses.

I agree that 10.1 was a mistake... (See the bug I encountered almost immediately in my previous post.) But, if you look at CatalystMaker's Twitter page, he says that 10.1 is just a bug fix release (ha!), and that 10.2 and 10.3 will introduce major new features. Remember, all the rumors about profiles, Eyefinity, updated Hybrid Crossifre, etc. were only rumors, and never confirmed by ATI. My personal opinion is that they delayed introducing some of the new features (like updated Hybrid Crossfire) in order to wait for the 5450/5570 releases in early-mid February. I don't have a clue why they delayed the rest...
January 28, 2010 1:39:51 PM

Yeah, I really don't get why 10.1 was released at all (except to keep their monthly driver release record going), as it was obvious someone just realized the had forgotten about the January driver set and rushed one out (forgetting to change the stupid date and number is pretty telling). And as for bug fixes, from what I've heard it adds several that were fixed back in and doesn't correct many (if any) new ones.
January 28, 2010 1:39:52 PM

Bolbi said:
I agree that 10.1 was a mistake... (See the bug I encountered almost immediately in my previous post.) But, if you look at CatalystMaker's Twitter page, he says that 10.1 is just a bug fix release (ha!), and that 10.2 and 10.3 will introduce major new features. Remember, all the rumors about profiles, Eyefinity, updated Hybrid Crossifre, etc. were only rumors, and never confirmed by ATI. My personal opinion is that they delayed introducing some of the new features (like updated Hybrid Crossfire) in order to wait for the 5450/5570 releases in early-mid February. I don't have a clue why they delayed the rest...

@Bolbi

Thank you for your thoughts.

My point being-Why trump up Eyefinity etc if ATI cant develop the software to go with it?

Its like they produced a supercar with a lawnmower engine in it.

If I'm not mistaken Formula 1 racing technology is developed so then it can be passed on to mass production. Not the other way around.

My point being-Shouldnt Eyefinity and other technologies be introduced in the 5970/5870/5850 series first?

Just my two cents. :sarcastic: 
January 28, 2010 1:56:57 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about the first driver set of the year. I imagine the parties from the holidays just ran over a bit and before they knew it the month was up and they had no drivers to show for it. If by 10.3 they still have made no progress, then I'd be very disappointed.
January 28, 2010 1:57:19 PM

Well, AMD/ATI claims they are developing it. And Eyefinity has at least some support starting with Catalyst 9.10. (Supposedly; I don't have a supported card or more than one monitor hooked up to a single PC, so I can't comment on how much of it works so far.) But yes, I think you're right they should have had it completed and introduced it along with the 57xx/58xx/59xx cards.
January 28, 2010 2:35:08 PM

hunuok said:
@Bolbi

My point being-Why trump up Eyefinity etc if ATI cant develop the software to go with it?

Its like they produced a supercar with a lawnmower engine in it.

If I'm not mistaken Formula 1 racing technology is developed so then it can be passed on to mass production. Not the other way around.

My point being-Shouldnt Eyefinity and other technologies be introduced in the 5970/5870/5850 series first?

Just my two cents. :sarcastic: 

Eyefinity works fine, it is the crossfire implementation that does not. Since release they have stated that it won't be implemented until 2010. We were lucky to even get a hot fix for it in 09.
January 28, 2010 3:05:15 PM

daedalus685 said:
Eyefinity works fine, it is the crossfire implementation that does not. Since release they have stated that it won't be implemented until 2010. We were lucky to even get a hot fix for it in 09.

Thanks for your input.

Crossfire/Crossfirex was introduced a long time ago now with mixed results (eg poor scaling). With ATI blaming the game developers and vice versa, isnt the end user disadvantaged?

Eyefinity does work, but you would think that with the number of crossfire users+LCD monitor affordability, ATI would work on crossfire+eyefinity working together NOW not several drivers down the track.

IMO the 9.12 hotfix drivers NEVER supported crossfire+eyefinity.
January 28, 2010 7:15:45 PM

It did help somewhat on the 5970, which is Crossfire (somewhat), I think. I don't really know though as I don't have a 5970 or enough monitors for EyeF.
January 28, 2010 7:26:43 PM

hunuok said:
Thanks for your input.

Crossfire/Crossfirex was introduced a long time ago now with mixed results (eg poor scaling). With ATI blaming the game developers and vice versa, isnt the end user disadvantaged?

Eyefinity does work, but you would think that with the number of crossfire users+LCD monitor affordability, ATI would work on crossfire+eyefinity working together NOW not several drivers down the track.

IMO the 9.12 hotfix drivers NEVER supported crossfire+eyefinity.

Eyefinity had basic functionality on 9.12 hotfix, not complete.

I don't understand why you are so freaky about this.. They stated well before the things were released that eyefinity only works on single GPU mode, with a driver to support it on crossfire coming in 2010...

What does this have to do with crossfire growing pains and other BS? Crossfire and SLI work fine now (in some respects), new features take time to migrate over to them... what seems to be the problem?

By the way, crossfire/sli have always had terrible quad scaling.. that will more than likely always be the case.. I am not aware of a single case where this scaling was blamed on a game developer from ATI or Nvidia.. it is simply a fundamental limitation of the technology. ATI did blame game devs for the funny stretching in eyefinity, but that has do do with how the games respond to strange resolutions, there is nothing ATI can do about it until the games support them better. If you bought the pair of 5970's for eyefinity then it surely sucks.. but everyone was well aware that the eyefinity functionality would be poor at best for them.. with true crossfire eyefinity not expected until about now (and yes, we are still waiting, but we only have one driver in 2010 so far.. if its not here by 10.3 you can legitimately be pissed, as it is you will have to be patient like the rest of us)
January 28, 2010 8:24:57 PM

Installed them. I will be going back to 9.12 or whatever it was. My 5870 seems to crash now at the overclocked settings I had.
January 29, 2010 3:38:51 AM

Quote:
They stated well before the things were released that eyefinity only works on single GPU mode, with a driver to support it on crossfire coming in 2010...

OR until the 6000 series is released?

Quote:
Crossfire and SLI work fine now (in some respects), new features take time to migrate over to them... what seems to be the problem?

Why advertise/produce a V8 engine that will only run on 4 cylinders until they "fix" the problem?

Quote:
with true crossfire eyefinity not expected until about now (and yes, we are still waiting, but we only have one driver in 2010 so far.. if its not here by 10.3 you can legitimately be pissed, as it is you will have to be patient like the rest of us)

It's ALWAYS "wait for the next driver release" or "Cat 10.2 and 10.3 are going to be BIG"! I waited patiently for drivers for my 3870 crossfire (Cat 8.1 on), 4970x2 quadfire (Cat 9.1 on) and now with 5970 quadfire.

How patient do I have to be? It's easy to say "well, dont buy it" but in reality........

Cheers.
January 29, 2010 6:40:29 AM

Installed it last night and Dirt 2 has increased in performance!
January 29, 2010 1:18:59 PM

hunuok said:

Quote:

It's ALWAYS "wait for the next driver release" or "Cat 10.2 and 10.3 are going to be BIG"! I waited patiently for drivers for my 3870 crossfire (Cat 8.1 on), 4970x2 quadfire (Cat 9.1 on) and now with 5970 quadfire.

How patient do I have to be? It's easy to say "well, dont buy it" but in reality........

Cheers.
Quote:

you have FOUR 5970's???
January 29, 2010 1:25:53 PM

Twp gpus per card * two cards = quadfire.
January 29, 2010 1:42:19 PM

hunuok said:

Cheers.

Are you not aware that of the mantras that states "Future drivers will bring performance increases" and "They will only get better as drivers mature"?
January 29, 2010 1:48:35 PM

hunuok said:

OR until the 6000 series is released?

Why advertise/produce a V8 engine that will only run on 4 cylinders until they "fix" the problem?

Cheers.

I think you understand my point... But they didn't sell you a half powered V8, they sold you a V8 with clear and defined limitations with eyefinity. What you bought was a powerful GPU set up that works as well as a quad GPU set up could be expected to on a single monitor (scaling is not a driver issue, it is a limitation of the current technology across all vendors), and that could power an eyefinity set up with only single GPU reliably (though it should have had rough support for basic eyefinity out of the box for a single card).

There is no problem for them to "fix" just a feature they should add. Don't get me wrong.. they damn well better add it as I can't see a use for eyefinity unless I can do it on a high end crossfire set up. But it was never part of the deal.
January 29, 2010 2:52:01 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Are you not aware that of the mantras that states "Future drivers will bring performance increases" and "They will only get better as drivers mature"?

Hey there,

So why is it that people are rolling BACK to 9.12 hotfix drivers?

To quote somebody from another forum:

Catalyst driver team mantra= Will be fixed in the next release

Catalyst user mantra= Why is this still broken?

Cheers. :hello: 
January 29, 2010 2:54:27 PM

daedalus685 said:
I think you understand my point... But they didn't sell you a half powered V8, they sold you a V8 with clear and defined limitations with eyefinity. What you bought was a powerful GPU set up that works as well as a quad GPU set up could be expected to on a single monitor (scaling is not a driver issue, it is a limitation of the current technology across all vendors), and that could power an eyefinity set up with only single GPU reliably (though it should have had rough support for basic eyefinity out of the box for a single card).

There is no problem for them to "fix" just a feature they should add. Don't get me wrong.. they damn well better add it as I can't see a use for eyefinity unless I can do it on a high end crossfire set up. But it was never part of the deal.

Duly noted!
January 29, 2010 3:02:25 PM

hunuok said:
Hey there,

So why is it that people are rolling BACK to 9.12 hotfix drivers?

To quote somebody from another forum:

Catalyst driver team mantra= Will be fixed in the next release

Catalyst user mantra= Why is this still broken?

Cheers. :hello: 

:ange:  I'm not allowed to, nor would I say such things because as an Nvidia user (8800GT's in Sli [:mousemonkey:4] :finger: ) I have not experienced these things. :whistle: 
January 29, 2010 3:48:34 PM

Mousemonkey said:
:ange:  I'm not allowed to, nor would I say such things because as an Nvidia user (8800GT's in Sli [:mousemonkey:4] :finger: ) I have not experienced these things. :whistle: 

:cry:  Why you little.......!
January 29, 2010 3:59:28 PM

hunuok said:
:cry:  Why you little.......!

If it's any consolation I run at the lowly resolution of 1920 x 1080 which normally results in frame rates in the low triple figure range, so it's not all sweetness and sunshine. :whistle: 
January 29, 2010 5:04:09 PM

Mousemonkey said:
If it's any consolation I run at the lowly resolution of 1920 x 1080 which normally results in frame rates in the low triple figure range, so it's not all sweetness and sunshine. :whistle: 

Cheers.
January 29, 2010 5:10:30 PM

hunuok said:

Cheers.

You're most welcome, I hope it helps you to make the correct purchase in the future. :p 
!