What to do revive a notebook playing dead

kcav

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
:bounce:

I have a notebook that when I press Start nothing happens except the electrical power light comes on.

"What If " I plugged a USB cable into it and into a PC that is running might I access the hard disk?

Solution
Don't really need to, unless you have another issue. I can tell by the PIII that you have IDE drives, so no worries there. You can just click best answer if I helped ya, and mark the thread as solved if it is!

kcav

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Did I say it had a SATA, no it has PATA. It's a Seagate, Momentus, 160GB 2.5", 5400RPM PATA hard drive.

The notebook shell was made by Quanta and ASI put an Intel T2400 processor in it.

I have a desktop computer with Pentium 3 processor and 2 Western Digital hard drives. I can not visualize how to install the 2.5" hard drive in the desktop PC after I take it out of the notebook. The notebook has a socket that hard drive plugs into. The desktop uses cables to attach hard drives.

kcav

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007

What online store should I go to?

kcav

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
jack-attack

Thank you. I appreciate your help, I will order the connector today. I believe I have an adjustable rack. Like to tell you more about my desktop PC. Should I open a new topic? How can I give you credit for giving clear answers.

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Don't really need to, unless you have another issue. I can tell by the PIII that you have IDE drives, so no worries there. You can just click best answer if I helped ya, and mark the thread as solved if it is!

Solution

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Thanks. I hope all works out for ya. Newegg is great with shipping usually, so all you'll have to do when you get it is insert your drive into the adapter, insert the PATA adapter into the back of the drive mount it in your case and plug it in. Probably have to set it to boot from there, or you could just leave it as slave as long as they're both NTFS and get your data like that. I'll still try to boot from it for laughs though!

kcav

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007

Hi jack_attack,

I finally got back to working on my old notebook. The notebook worked fine until I tried to install an image file on it. Then it played dead. I asked around and you said, take the drive out of the notebook, plug it into a PATA adapter and plug it into your old desktop.

I purchased the adapter from Newegg, took my Seagate, Momentus 5400.3 out of the notebook and plgged it into the adapter. Then in my desktop computer I removed the cable to Disk 1. The desktop boots from Disk 0. I plugged the PATA with hard drive on one side into the cable where disk 1 had been. Then I booted the desktop PC.

Aftewr Windows XP loaded I ran Add New Hardware. It didn't see the drive. I ran Device Manager. It didn't see the drive. I ran Admin. Tools > Computer Manager > Storage system. No drive there either. What should I do?

kcav

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Thank you for your thought about the BIOS. I'll check the BIOS on the PC where I installed the hard drive.

On thge notebook I can not get to the BIOS to tell it Boot from CD. Isn't there a chip on the motherboard that receives a signal as soon as you press the Start button?

KC

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I'm not certain what you mean by a chip. There's quite a few chips that become active when you power up. You can get into the BIOS, it just might be tricky. Google your model number and BIOS, sometimes it can be F2, or even a combination of keys to get there.