Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

What's the problem of i5-750?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 11, 2010 9:08:40 AM

First, english is not my native language sorry if my grammar is hard to understand.

I have been using Pentium 4 2.4Ghz with socket 478 for a long time, then recently I realized that I can't watch HD video smoothly and even game like Warcraft III lag me out if too many units load together.

So I decided to buy a new CPU, here's the specs that got my attention:

Motherboard - Asus P7P55D-E PRO
Processor - Quad Core i5-750
Graphic - ATI Radeon HD 4850 x 2 (Crossfire)
RAM - Kingston HyperX DDR3 1333MHz 2GB x 2
HDD - Seagate 7200RPM Sata 3.0 500GB
Power Supply - Need help :( 
Windows - Need help :( 


Here's what I thought, Asus P7P55D-E PRO a LGA1156 motherboard that supports i5-750, dual channel DDR3 momory, and crossfire.
Pretty much what I want, but from online reviews I saw that Asus P7P55D-E Pro and i5-750 only support "2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single at x16 or dual at x8 / x8 mode)" which mean even you got crossfire, it won't on full performance due to both Graphic cards get x8 bandwidth only.

Btw, what windows should I get? I don't play high-end games, just sometimes LAN game to Warcraft III, and watch HD video. Windows XP should be my choice?
Another point I don't want windows 7 or 64 bits because I'm a busy working guy, I'd rather stick with 32 bits the stability and save my times.
But someone said windows 7 works better with multicore, I'm little confuse please shed some light...

My problems are.. how to get crossfire on full performance with i5-750?
What windows suit me better?
and what's the correct watts of power supply should I get?
Also, please do share if you have better specs in mind for Quad Core i5-750.

Thanks in advance for helps! :lol: 

More about : problem 750

Best solution

a b à CPUs
April 11, 2010 9:14:03 AM

x8 crossfire doesn even start to affect anything under a 5770 and is only like a 4% loss on crossfire 5870's

and a good 600+watts will work fine but get a 750 for future compatibility

corsair hx/tx750
antec ea/tp750
xfx 750

all good choices
Share
April 11, 2010 9:57:30 AM

obsidian86 said:
x8 crossfire doesn even start to affect anything under a 5770 and is only like a 4% loss on crossfire 5870's

and a good 600+watts will work fine but get a 750 for future compatibility

corsair hx/tx750
antec ea/tp750
xfx 750

all good choices


Thanks for the fast reply, it means any crossfire under 5770 will be full performance on these specs? It will be better if you link me some reviews. Appreciate!
m
0
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2010 11:16:04 AM

triplebug said:
First, english is not my native language sorry if my grammar is hard to understand.

I have been using Pentium 4 2.4Ghz with socket 478 for a long time, then recently I realized that I can't watch HD video smoothly and even game like Warcraft III lag me out if too many units load together.

So I decided to buy a new CPU, here's the specs that got my attention:

Motherboard - Asus P7P55D-E PRO
Processor - Quad Core i5-750
Graphic - ATI Radeon HD 4850 x 2 (Crossfire)
RAM - Kingston HyperX DDR3 1333MHz 2GB x 2
HDD - Seagate 7200RPM Sata 3.0 500GB
Power Supply - Need help :( 
Windows - Need help :( 


Here's what I thought, Asus P7P55D-E PRO a LGA1156 motherboard that supports i5-750, dual channel DDR3 momory, and crossfire.
Pretty much what I want, but from online reviews I saw that Asus P7P55D-E Pro and i5-750 only support "2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single at x16 or dual at x8 / x8 mode)" which mean even you got crossfire, it won't on full performance due to both Graphic cards get x8 bandwidth only.

Btw, what windows should I get? I don't play high-end games, just sometimes LAN game to Warcraft III, and watch HD video. Windows XP should be my choice?
Another point I don't want windows 7 or 64 bits because I'm a busy working guy, I'd rather stick with 32 bits the stability and save my times.
But someone said windows 7 works better with multicore, I'm little confuse please shed some light...

My problems are.. how to get crossfire on full performance with i5-750?
What windows suit me better?
and what's the correct watts of power supply should I get?
Also, please do share if you have better specs in mind for Quad Core i5-750.

Thanks in advance for helps! :lol: 




Do not crossfire the 4850, you'd be better off cross firing the 5750 or 5770 as they support DX11 plus they run cooler. In all honesty it might be cheaper to buy a single 5850.

Also, you'd need to move to vista or windows 7 realistically, most software developers are reducing their support for windows XP. I'd recommend a 64 bit version of vista or 7, its not like the old days the software is fully supported and is way more stable than XP.

I would recommend any power supply unit between 550-600watts from a respected brand like Thermaltake, Antec, CoolerMaster, OCZ, Corsair etc.



m
0
l
April 11, 2010 12:05:23 PM

Definitely go for Windows 7. Don't be afraid of getting the x64 version. It sounds like you haven't used a x64 Windows OS in a long time. The driver support has vastly improved over the past few years.

Also keep in mind that the x86 versions only support up to ~3.5GB of RAM (I forgot exactly how much).
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2010 2:56:12 PM

(1) Concur a 550 -> 650 W corsair would be a good choice with a pair of 5770s
Question, is WOW more dependent on CPU, or GPU as the two reviews do not include WOW. Check the performance charts to see if you need xfire.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2856
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_radeon_5770_575...

(2) Concur on going with the ATI 5770. While the 4850 and 5770 are close in performance, You get DX 11 support (More toward future) and it draws less power and therefor helps keep case cooler. (See above links). Recommend getting one, If Happy with performance then you have saved some money. You can ALWAYS buy a 2nd and if that point is a year from now, the price will be lower - and again you have saved money.

(3) I would go with Win 7. On 32 bit vs 64 Bit. While there has been improvement in drivers (I've not had problems with software), some companies are NOT releasing 64 Bit vista/win 7 drivers/software as a way to boost profits by FORCING people to buy unneeded upgrade hardware. Cannon scanner 35 - a driver would be very simple to release, BUT they will not.. On the memory issue. If you plan on going above 4 gigs of RAM, then 64 Bit is a must. With 4 gigs, closer to a toss-up. With 32 Bit, windows 7 will use/see all four gigs, But only about 3.2 -> 3.5 gigs will be avalible to operating system/programs - NOT a really biggy. I have 4 gigs on three destops (Vista 32 Bit, Win 7 32 bit, and win 7 64 Bit) and two laptops (Upgraded both to Win 7 32 Bit). Only One has 64 Bit and that was in case I wanted to go above 4 gigs
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2010 3:53:16 PM

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P
Processor - Quad Core i5-750
Graphic - ATI Radeon HD 5770/5750 x 2 (Crossfire)
RAM - G.Skill eco(low voltage) 1600MHz CL7/8
HDD - WD Black 1TB/640GB
Power Supply - Corsair HX650
Windows - Windows Seven
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2010 5:41:34 PM

Andy, Very Good Build, Andy Almost mimics mine. I have the Non "A" MB, Ripjaw 1.60 V CL7 Ram and A 80 Gig Intel G2 SSD.

Still question the need for 5770 in xfire, I think one would be pretty good.
Total system Power under load is approx 390 Watts with a pair of 5770s in xfire leaving the corsair 650 an excellent choice as a Corsair 550 would run the system.

A system with a single 5770 is about 260 W, inwich the 550 would be the best choice, will still leaving room to ad the 2nd card if he really needed it.

Added: On the "low voltage" G-skill ram. Is that the 1.35 Volt version if so I bought that and paired it with gigabyte H55 MB. Although it works it is not truely supported in that you can set the vlotage to 1.3 (1.28 Real Life), or 1.4 V (1.44 V) which is what profile1 selects. Not sure How well you can set the voltage with the P55A, or what profile one would set it to. Knowing this I would have gotten the 1.5 V Version for the H55 MB.
m
0
l
a c 83 à CPUs
April 11, 2010 6:16:57 PM

I would highly recommend a 64bit OS, especially for a crossfire set up. In 32bit, if you crossfire 2 cards with 512mb Vram you'll only have access to about 2.8Gb out of the 4Gb of system ram you install. If your video cards each have 1Gb Vram, than cut that down to about 1.8Gb of useable system ram.
m
0
l
April 11, 2010 7:34:58 PM

Thanks for all the help, I have better understanding 32 bits' disadvantage now.

About the motherboard that andy5174 suggest, Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P.
I saw an article here that state it can't have both USB 3.0 & Sata 3.0 on maximum bandwidth, and worsen when crossfire.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-3.0-sata-6gb,25...

Is Asus P7P55D-E PRO sharing the same problem?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2010 7:49:14 PM

That was the reason I went with the Non "A" board. I figured I would get an add on card when I developed a need for Usb 3. Not concerned about sata6 so much as HDDs can not bottle neck sata3. Have to go with a Pair of SSDs in a Raid0 configuration before running into a problem.

The memory subtraction in Xfire is the same as for one card (You do not add the memory - Could be wrong, but seems I've seen that a couple of times.)
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2010 8:34:29 PM

triplebug said:
Thanks for all the help, I have better understanding 32 bits' disadvantage now.

About the motherboard that andy5174 suggest, Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P.
I saw an article here that state it can't have both USB 3.0 & Sata 3.0 on maximum bandwidth, and worsen when crossfire.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-3.0-sata-6gb,25...

Is Asus P7P55D-E PRO sharing the same problem?


When dual graphics cards are used in 1st and 2nd PCIex16 slots, SATA3 / USB 3.0 (Marvell 9128 /NEC USB 3.0 Controllers) will work at normal mode (SATA II and USB 2.0).
Hence, you lose nothing by going for the A series Gigabyte MB.

Quote:
source: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-3.0-sata-6gb,25...

This and the SATA 3.0 controller are routed through a PCI Express pathway selector switch, allowing the two components to draw connectivity from the processor's second-gen links or the PCH's second-gen links (handicapped by Intel to first-gen throughput). You're either limiting graphics performance/connectivity or SATA/USB throughput. That's a tough choice to make either way.


The reason why I suggested A series is that it comes with improved socket bracket that provide even pressure on the socket. The none-A series however come with the old socket bracket that could/might cause socket burn.

As for the ASUS MB, they use exactly the same controllers(Marvell & NEC) for SATA 3 and USB 3.0 and so this should also apply to ASUS MB.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2010 8:40:34 PM

If you look around you can get the 4850's very cheap (I recently got a 1GB version for under £70) which may be a reason to get this over a 5770. But a single better card is the way to go 5850 etc...

m
0
l
April 13, 2010 2:13:58 PM

Best answer selected by triplebug.
m
0
l
April 13, 2010 2:17:16 PM

Thanks everyone and especially obsidian86 & Lmeow for your accurate info.

My only problem left is graphic card that suits me, I will move to other section.
m
0
l
!