Sign in with
Your question

Good inexpensive cooling for 3570k in Haf 912?

Last response: in Overclocking
October 15, 2012 4:59:03 AM

Hello, I am completely new to overclocking was looking for a good, quality and inexpensive cooling solution(fan system and cpu heat-sink) for my first home-build(Has been in operation since July 2012).(I am unsure if I need additional cooling for my graphics card if I aggressively overclock it.)

CPU: Intel Core I-5 3570K
MOBO: MSI Z77A G-43
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 2TB 64MB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) 1866mhz
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 600w
GPU: MSI Twin Frozr 7870 OC Edition
BD-ROM: LG Black 14X BD-R...
Case: Cooler Master Haf 912
(coming soon: samsung 840 pro 128gb ssd)

(All the components are currently running on stock settings and stock cooling is present throughout the entire system.)

I wish to provide an effective cooling solution for my machine so that there would be good airflow for all parts giving priority to cpu and graphics. The highest I would go with the 3570k would be roughly 4.5ghz, but that would not be for a while as this system should have plenty of cpu for a while at stock speeds for my needs.

There is roughly a $50 budget on the system.($75 absolute maximum for everything, but would like to keep by $50.)

I have looked and asked around and have found these fans in the forums used on another Cooler Master Haf 912:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The front two and side positions will be intake and the top two and back will be outflow.

I am a little more concerned about cpu heat-sink as the ivy bridge runs hot by design and the Haf 912 is not a particularly big case. I was recommended this heat-sink before, but am completely clueless on how to approach this situation. I have heard good thermal paste helps to improve performance and am pretty clueless there too.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am fairly unsure about the 7870 if I need after-market cooling to overclock it.

I also live in the country in a high dust environment and the computer is 3 feet above carpet. I use the computer primarily for Skyrim(heavily modded), Bf3, and minecraft(sometimes as server while playing Bf3 or Skyrim).
a c 150 K Overclocking
October 15, 2012 7:33:50 AM

Hyper 212 EVO.

Use the stock paste, AS5 doesn't make that much of a difference.
Related resources
October 15, 2012 8:17:08 AM

Thank you, but does the evo hold up and clean well in a high dust environment, and will it affect airflow inside the case? I have not heard much on these subjects. Perhaps I am just too concerned about dust affecting the components.
a c 150 K Overclocking
October 15, 2012 8:26:29 AM

You are too concerned.

Right now, don't worry. The point is to assemble the system and let it go. Not, tinker with it every single day.
a c 90 K Overclocking
October 15, 2012 8:42:41 AM

combine1237 said:
Thank you, but does the evo hold up and clean well in a high dust environment, and will it affect airflow inside the case? I have not heard much on these subjects. Perhaps I am just too concerned about dust affecting the components.

The 212 EVO will hold up as well as any other cooling device (even water) in a dusty environment. The key will be mantainance - a schedule of cleaning will go far to keep your system in it's highest performance but then, that's a given...
The EVO itself can be set up in push, pull or even push/pull configurations - it should only help airflow within the case
a b K Overclocking
October 15, 2012 12:21:02 PM

combine1237 said:
I also live in the country in a high dust environment and the computer is 3 feet above carpet.

A way to protect your system from dust is to place organza, a thin, plain weave, sheer fabric traditionally made from silk, outside the case in all intake fans, in your Haf 912. You can fix it with simple adhesive tape.

It will not look good at all, so if you are concern with aesthetics, then forget this idea. But if prevent dust is your main concern, then ask to your mother, sister, wife where to get organza -- I have done it myself -- it worked properly.

As for the your OC of 4.5 GHz get the Hyper 212 EVO as anyone is recommending you -- it will do the job! :) 

October 16, 2012 1:06:16 AM

Thanks everyone, I just wasn't sure about the Hyper 212 Evo. It seems good for a budget build like mine, and it cools fairly adequately. Something just came up so I won't be able to begin this and the ssd until the 19th of November. I will have more time to explore dust solutions in the meantime thanks.
a b K Overclocking
October 16, 2012 1:27:56 AM

As a 912and 212Evo owner I can reccomend the set up. Also bought the 4 pack of fans.
Im run folding 24/7 with a 6coreAMD@3.4 and 2 GTX460s Temps are 62c and 70c for the GPUs and 49c for the CPU.
GOOD budget case and heatsink/fan choices.
October 16, 2012 2:04:54 AM

amuffin said:
You are too concerned.

Right now, don't worry. The point is to assemble the system and let it go. Not, tinker with it every single day.

System was actually built 2 months ago.
October 16, 2012 2:06:55 AM

Think this discussion is wrapped up. Thanks again. Will delete soon.
!