Core i7 920 running at 1 core only?

jjc715

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Hi,

my specs: Core i7 920; ASUS P6T Deluxe V2; Win7 x64; 6GB OCZ PC 1600;
When I ran msconfig > Boot > Adv Options, I see only 1 processors under "number of processors" pull down window.
CPUZ shows 1 core, and HW monitor will only show temp for core #0

Can some one tell me what's going on? New at this.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Hi
Well this is strange but the first thing that i will ask u to do is to reinstall windows and if that doesnt help then update the bios. i think your problem will be solved after these two things.

jjc715

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
OK, I made an image of what I have now with R-Drive Image v4.6, and then re-installed Win7x64 enterprise ed. Without installing any programs, I went into Task Manager and lo0and behold, 4 panels under CPU Usage History. Went to msconfig and under No. of Processors there was the choice of 4, launched CPUZ but temp readings for Core#0 & 1 are there. It also said I have 2 processors.

I then reinstalled the old configuration from the image, expecting to see the defective results, but now there are also 4 panels under CPU Usage History; msconfig No. of Processors also showed 4, and CPUZ shows 2 processors and temp readings for Core#0 & 1.....just like the clean install.

What's going on? I am totally at a lost. Any help is surely appreciated.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

just to check, is hyperthreading on? if not then when you on it then your processor count will show 8 cores else 4 cores.

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
are you sure u have checked ur mobo bios? Check whethr u have enabled the no of processors to 4. Also make sure that hyper-threading is turned ON in the bios.
If this doesn't work, try flashing the bios & updating it with the latest patches from the ASUS website. Then perform a clean install of the OS.
If none of this works, then congrats, u have a binned processor. Get it replaced

jjc715

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I solved the mystery of the missing cores.

It all started "one dark and stormy night", when I read that to speed up the booting process, the # of processors and Maximum Memory should be checked. It is all well and good, except whoever it was that wrote that neglected to mention that before checking the # of processors, one needs to specify the number of cores pertaining to the CPU in the system. If you have checked 4 because the Core i7 is a quad core processor, you would be wrong.

There are 2 threads to a core and therefore 8 threads. Windows 7 does not know the difference between threads and cores, apparently, or the software engineer used the wrong labelling. The # of processors should have been "# of threads". If you chose 4, that represents 2 cores. That explains why I saw only Core #0 & Core #1 in CPUZ, and temp readings for the same cores only in HW Monitor. By specifying 4, you told the comoputer to ignore the rest of the remaining cores. The proper number should have been eight.

To remedy the situation, you need to uncheck # of processors, reboot and check it again, but this time specify 8. Worked for me.

micon

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011

micon

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
HI JJC715, can you please help i have the same problem you described only 1 core 2 threads in core temp + other monitoring programs i have the same MB and CPU as you, i am using W7 64 bit ultimate, i have only just bought this MB and CPU (pre used) the problem is i dont know my way around a computor very well so i dont know where to make the changes you mentioned, if you could tell me where and how it would be a great help. many thanks.

My god..... they don't need us anymore, it's the Newcomers and Apprentices who seem to be solving each others problems, but, guys, before you post a question it's imperative that you read or search the forum to see if your problem has already been solved. And the processor and cores and threads not showing up in the OS have been solved at least a 100 times before. Suggestion to the moderator, pls close the thread, as the geek solved his own problem.

And for Micon, just type MSconfig in the run tab, open the Advanced option under the Boot tab, click in the Box which says number of processors and get it to the max allowed.

And don't forget to reboot and then check.