Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Cooling
  • RAM
  • Processors
Last response: in Overclocking
October 15, 2012 5:15:30 PM

I have a i3-2120 with 8GB RAM and 4GB VRAM.Should I overclock my processor ?If yes suggest a cooling system too

More about : overclock

a c 103 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 15, 2012 5:33:19 PM

You can only overclock it via the BCLK. Since so much runs off the BCLK there's very little room to scale. An increase of 2-4% is almost erring on the optimistic side, and that sort of improvement is too small to notice. I suggest you stick to the stock clocks.
m
l
a c 110 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 15, 2012 5:35:36 PM

...your RAM and VRAM doesn't matter at all... what does is your motherboard.

Secondly... why do you have 4GB VRAM? Pretty much any video card I can imagine with 4gigs is going to be bottlenecked by an i3.

Third... you can't overclock an i3. So you're SOL anyways.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 15, 2012 5:47:30 PM

Sakkura said:
You can only overclock it via the BCLK. Since so much runs off the BCLK there's very little room to scale. An increase of 2-4% is almost erring on the optimistic side, and that sort of improvement is too small to notice. I suggest you stick to the stock clocks.

I don't think this is entirely correct, this is a misconception that "non unlocked means locked" . I think non-unlocked" sandy/ivy bridges still have limited unlock (first 2 responders, google "intel limited unlock" and read up)
Which you should be able to just change your multiplier by up to +4 or so.
I am not sure of your specific chip. If you can on this chip, I would go ahead and do just the multiplier overclocking (if you can) and get your +400mhz or whatever it allows you to do.

I wouldn't overclock with your bclk, because this will require you to mess about with your ram. For this type of overclock, I agree with the 2 guys above. This will require you to mess about with ram settings too, and higher chances for instability.

Edit:
Looked it up. above guys are right. I am wrong. apologies. i3 is locked. if you had at least an i5 you'd have at least limited unlock
m
l
a c 238 à CPUs
a c 106 K Overclocking
October 15, 2012 5:53:29 PM

^ Sakkura is correct. You can not change the multiplier on an i3 at all. Non "K" model i5 and i7 processors can be overclocked up to 4 bins over stock via the Turbo Boost function. This does not apply to an i3.

You do not really want to overclock a Sandy or Ivy Bridge processor via the BCLK. It overclocks the entire board including things not meant to overclock.

So if you want to overclock buy an unlocked "K" model i5 or i7 processor.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
October 15, 2012 9:58:34 PM

BLCK if you want....not recommended though. Say goodbye to dem USB and SATA ports.
m
l
October 16, 2012 8:06:57 AM

DarkSable said:

Secondly... why do you have 4GB VRAM? Pretty much any video card I can imagine with 4gigs is going to be bottlenecked by an i3.

I can exchange by 4GB VRAM with my cousin,he has a 2GB VRAM.Will 2GB be ok for my i3 ?
m
l
October 16, 2012 8:07:38 AM

DarkSable said:

I can exchange by 4GB VRAM with my cousin,he has a 2GB VRAM.Will 2GB be ok for my i3 ?
m
l
a c 238 à CPUs
a c 106 K Overclocking
October 16, 2012 5:11:16 PM

The amount of VRAM on your graphics card matters less than what the actual GPU is. What video cards?
m
l
October 16, 2012 7:08:28 PM

anort3 said:
The amount of VRAM on your graphics card matters less than what the actual GPU is. What video cards?

I have a Forsa NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 4 GB SDDR3
Graphics Card.
m
l
a c 238 à CPUs
a c 106 K Overclocking
October 16, 2012 7:41:17 PM

A GT 430 is not powerful enough to use 4GB of VRAM. You have to move up to a top of the line card to be able to use 4GB. The only way 4GB helps is in running multiple monitors. It will not help gaming at all. A GT 430 is actually pretty low end and I really doubt it can use more than 512MB.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
October 17, 2012 5:25:15 AM

Are you sure you aren't talking about system memory?
m
l
!