Sign in with
Your question

Will this work ?

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
February 3, 2010 5:03:07 PM

Hi all new to building computers and was looking for some feedback on hardware compatibility and also any other better alternatives

Here is my idea, feel free to add!

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Gaming Chassis Case
Processor: Intel Core i7-920 / 2.66GHz / 8MB Cache / LGA1366
Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI LE Intel Mainboard - 6x DDR3 / 6x Sata Raid / Gigabit Lan / LGA 1366
Memory: Corsair DDR3 8GB PC-10600/1333 (4x XMS3 2GB) CMX8GX3M4B1333C9 Ram
PSU: Antec Signature Series 850W ATX Power Supply
GPU: geforce gts 250 (currently own) was thinking of getting a seccond Sli
Heatsink: Xigmatek CPU Cooler Thors Hammer
Hard Drives: (currently own 300gig)

Thank you

More about : work

February 3, 2010 5:14:54 PM

X58 utilizes tri-channel memory, so it would be better and cheaper to get 6GB (3x 2GB) or 12 if for some reason you need that much.
February 3, 2010 7:00:26 PM

To really help you, we need to know what you're planning on doing with the computer and a budget. Follow the guidelines from the link in my signature to make sure we get all the info we need.

Couple of additional thoughts:

Case: The HAF 922 is cheaper and almost as big. It would be a good idea to downgrade slightly to save a little cash.

GPU: Don't buy a second one. The new DirectX 11 cards (ATI's 5xxx series and nVidia's upcoming Fermi) have drastically changed the GPU landscape. Buying anything less is not a good idea. Go ahead and use the one you have until you don't get the performance you need.

HSF: Switch to the Coolermaster Hyper 212. It's more than half the price of the one you picked and is one of the very best.

HDD: It might be worth it to go ahead and buy a new HDD. There have been big changes from older drives, and you will see a noticeable speed increase. They're also very cheap. The best drive right now is the Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that that heatsink doesn't have any fans. You'll need to buy one to make it work. It also weighs almost 2 pounds...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 4, 2010 3:47:38 AM

Sorry im pretty noob to building so thanks for your help so far.
I want to build a good gaming rig my bugget range is open at the moment around $1000 to $1500 not including gpu

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: between 1 week to a month

PREFERRED WEBSITE FOR PARTS: I live in Australia and this is my local shop (centercom so any parts from here would be easyer but i can else where

OVERCLOCKING: Yes / SLI Yes

Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI LE Intel Mainboard - 6x DDR3

CPU: Intel Core i7-920 / 2.66GHz

Case: im kinda set on the Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Gaming Chassis Case the price is fine

GPU: i wont be purchasing a new gpu for a couple of months most likely 2 high end sli cards

Heatsink: Coolermaster Hyper 212

questions with the ram: will this take advantage tri-channel memory, and which one is better? : Corsair DDR3 12GB PC-10600/1333 (6x XMS3 2GB) HX3X12G1333C9 Ram or pay alittle more and get Corsair DDR3 12GB PC-12800/1600 (6x XMS3 2GB) HX3X12G1600C9 Ram
or do you think i should just get 6gig ?

PSU: any advice ?

i hope this additional infomation helps
February 4, 2010 10:27:14 AM

For gaming, you don't need 12 GB. You don't even need 6 GB, but I wouldn't go lower than that for an i7 build.

Now, here's the thing with a gaming build. The i5-750 is just as good as the i7, but the base build is easily $300 (US) less. So I would go with an i5 and buy an awesome GPU. Here's what I recommend:

CPU: i5-750
Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E Pro
RAM: Cheapest 2x2 GB of 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 sticks you can find
PSU: 850W. Stick to Corsair, Antec Earthwatts, FSP and SeaSonic.

That should be fairly cheap. It's usually about $600 US.

A quick note on SLI: Right now, ATI is a much better option for GPU. ATI's new 5xxx line is absolutely destroying nVidia. This will continue at least until nVidia releases Fermi, and I expect it to continue after that. Indications of Fermi's actual performance are non-existent, except that the card runs very hot. To me, that shows that nVidia had to mess around to make the card compete with ATI, which makes ATI more powerful. However, we'll have to see.

Instead of buying 2 older, less powerful nVidia cards, you really should buy 1 awesome ATI card. I believe that you might be able to fit the HD 5970 in your budget. That is the single most powerful card ever made. You should never need to Crossfire it.

The reason I don't recommend a dual card solution is that you lose an upgrade path. Down the line, when the GPUs stop performing to the highest level, your only choice is to shell out a lot of money for a new card. If you go with a single, very powerful card (right now that's the HD 5870 or 5970), you will be able to stick in a cheap card later and get huge performance gains.
February 4, 2010 12:11:08 PM

On that site, two PSUs that are cheaper than the Antec Signature and will still be good enough are the Corsair 850 TX and HX. So if you need to free up some money for other components that would be one area where you could spend less.
I agree with pretty much everything MadAdmiral said.
February 4, 2010 5:23:32 PM

thank you guys so much for your help, I think this is pretty close to what im going to order, can you just check over the components

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 / 2.66GHz / 8MB Cache / LGA1156

Motherboard: Asus P7P55D-E-PRO Intel Mainboard - 4x DDR3

GPU: XFX ATI HD5870 PCI-E 2.0, 1GB, DDR5, 256bit, DVI-DL, HDMI, Fan OR for $20 more is XFX ATI HD5870 xXx Edition PCI-E 2.0, 1GB, DDR5, 256bit, Dual DVI, HDMI, Display Port, DX11, Fan which would you get?

PSU: Corsair HX-850 850W ATX Modular Power Supply

Memory: Corsair DDR3 6GB PC-12800/1600 (3x 2GB XMS3) TR3X6G1600C7 Ram is this fine?

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB.

Heatsink: Coolermaster Hyper 212

Case: Master HAF 932 Full Tower Gaming Chassis

thank you
February 4, 2010 5:30:25 PM

GPU: HD 5870. The XXX edition is just factory overclocked, which you can do yourself with two clicks with ATI's Overdrive software.

RAM: With the i5, you need the dual channel kit. But those are the specs you want (1600 mhz, CAS Latency 7).
!