Sign in with
Your question

Second post!! Need Help or advice getting my Amd Fx-8120 To 4.2ghz

Last response: in Overclocking
October 15, 2012 7:20:40 PM

i have it stable at 4.1ghz just on multiplier raise n a few things disable in Bios try to bring to 4.2ghz but on prime95 blend test one of my cpus stops working n gets an error or my pc freezes during prime95 here are my spec

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AMD 990FX AM3+ Motherboard, AMD FX-8120 X8 3100MHZ 16MB 125W AM3+, Sony Optiarc 24X DVDRW SATA OEM, WD Caviar Blue 1TB SATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-6G, Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz 2x4, Thermaltake Overseer RX-I Full Tower Gaming Case, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0, Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler for i5, i7, 775 and AMD, COOLMAX ZP-750B APFC/V2.3/EPS12V/V2.92 80+ BRONZE

a c 78 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
October 16, 2012 2:11:52 AM

More vcore, if you have the headroom.

What's your current vcore?
m
l
October 16, 2012 11:09:24 PM

my thing is i have never mess around with voltage thats why i ask for help i got it to 4.1ghz just on multiplier raise
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
October 16, 2012 11:16:00 PM

Download and run CPU-Z.

See what it says your voltage is while you run a stress test.
m
l
October 16, 2012 11:59:12 PM

i have voltage on stock like i said all i did was raise the multiplier to get it to 4.1ghz n disable a few things in BIOS to fix throttle issue my core voltage now is 1.312v under stress test it hits 1.33v
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
October 17, 2012 12:54:17 AM

Go into the BIOS and set "system voltage control" to "manual".

Then go down to "CPU voltage control" and select a small "+" voltage value.

This will tell your motherboard to add the voltage value you select to it's normal voltage for whatever speed the CPU happens to be running at.

Use the smallest increment and test. (You don't want to add any more vcore than you need.)

Try to keep your vcore below 1.45v. And watch your core temps under full load. The extra voltage will increase your temps.
m
l
October 17, 2012 12:59:24 AM

leave multiplier at what i have it now? right now i think it is at 20.5 to get it to 4.1ghz
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
October 17, 2012 2:10:22 AM

Well you need to change the multiplier to increase speed, of course. But the faster you go the more voltage you will need to stabilize.
m
l
October 17, 2012 10:05:19 PM

ok i am going to raise the multiplier to bring it to 4.2ghz n raise the voltage one notch like you said n test to see how it goes thanks
m
l
October 22, 2012 11:57:37 PM

ok i got it now to 4.2ghz on multiplier n a little raise on voltage like u told me but when i run prime small fft test it runs stable a little warm but when i run blend test one of my cores still stops n get an error while the other do not i think it is memory but i do not know how to change the timing on it
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 23, 2012 2:56:24 AM

you may want to rise your LLC (load line calibration) this can help when overclocking. I have had my FX-8120 running stable at 4.4ghz at somewhere around 1.335v I think. I did however find that I achieved more stable overclocks with raising the FSB and Multiplier and not just the multiplier. This process takes more time and more tweaking but seems to be a little more successful. Just be mindful of everything a FSB increase will effect, i.e. RAM, HT, CPU, ect. good luck
m
l
November 25, 2012 5:51:25 PM

rage33 said:
you may want to rise your LLC (load line calibration) this can help when overclocking. I have had my FX-8120 running stable at 4.4ghz at somewhere around 1.335v I think. I did however find that I achieved more stable overclocks with raising the FSB and Multiplier and not just the multiplier. This process takes more time and more tweaking but seems to be a little more successful. Just be mindful of everything a FSB increase will effect, i.e. RAM, HT, CPU, ect. good luck

well i think i got it right now i raise the cpu voltage in Bios to 1.36 left multiplyer at 21 n raise the LLC from auto to High did a prime95 blend test for 1 hours n 21 minutes n no errors n all cores work fine the highest temps i got on hwmonitor was 57 cpu temp n core temp was 47
m
l
November 26, 2012 5:45:22 PM

now its time to take the ram to 1800mhz or so, that will show a clear boost in performance. get a fan mounted over your ram, and raise the voltage as needed. if you oc the ram, and you get a bluescreen, then your ram is undervolted or undercooled. its actually best toi raise your base frequency as high as possible, and lower the multiplier, to achieve the same cpu frequency, cause it overclocks the mobo busses, increasing transfer speeds. when overclocking, i suggeast to max out the mobo frequency first, withthe cpu multipliers lowered to maintain stock speed, and then overclock the ram, and, finally, raise the cpu multipliers and voltage.
m
l
November 26, 2012 8:17:02 PM

DeepDystopia said:
now its time to take the ram to 1800mhz or so, that will show a clear boost in performance. get a fan mounted over your ram, and raise the voltage as needed. if you oc the ram, and you get a bluescreen, then your ram is undervolted or undercooled. its actually best toi raise your base frequency as high as possible, and lower the multiplier, to achieve the same cpu frequency, cause it overclocks the mobo busses, increasing transfer speeds. when overclocking, i suggeast to max out the mobo frequency first, withthe cpu multipliers lowered to maintain stock speed, and then overclock the ram, and, finally, raise the cpu multipliers and voltage.

for now i will leave it like that since i never mess around with ram n timing n ram voltage n all the other stuff u mention but thank u for the advice
m
l
December 17, 2012 12:41:09 AM

rage33 said:

Ok i raise my Cpu voltage in Bios to 1.3375 n LLC TO extreme ran prime95 blend test for 2 hours n it was stable highest temp i saw was 57c cpu temp n 45c on core temp hopefully it will stay stable
m
l
!