Help! Asus P5Q won't post ( no video detected )

vTz

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Hi there,
I've got an annoying issue with my pc, like the title says.
One day, while running an application my computer went to sleep, and needed a restart. After the restart it would not post, beeping no video detected. I tried clearing the cmos, with and without the battery, that did not work. After a few days i got a friend to bring over his video card and try booting with it, and it worked ( he's got a 9800gt, i've got a 9600gso booth XFX ). I have read somewhere to change something in the bios ( repost video on s3 resume - i changed it to "yes" ) but that didn't help, it still wouldn't post my videocard. I tried again with only one stick of ram, on all slots, still no result.I thought my videocard is toast.
Here's the interesting part, i wanted to make sure it's the videocard , and i took it over to my friend's place and test it in his computer, and there it worked, it booted up fine, so i've learned it's not the videocard :fou: .
I've asked xfx tech support for help, they told me to ask asus.

I've done everything i and my friend could think of, so any wise suggestion is welcomed. ( My pc worked fine for over a year when this 'till this happened, i had only one problem before, with a seagate 500gb hdd )

These are my pc specs:
Asus P5Q motherboard
Intel E8400 CPU
Kingston DDR 2 ( 4x1 gb 1333 running at 1066 )
Samsung 250 gb hdd
XFX 9600 gso 786 ram ddr 2
Thermaltake 470-w PSU

That's all i can think of now, thanks for you attention.

vTz

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
I think that is the psu. It says "w0089: TR2 470W | PFC Function" . Why would it work fine for over a year and then stop ?
I will try tomorrow, to call that friend to bring over his psu, on wich the card worked. Thanks for the hint i hope it will work :)
Also what is PFC ?

PFC = Power Factor Correction. Any quality PSU will have active PFC as well as be at least 80+ certified and put out the majority of its power over the 12v rail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor_correction

A quality PSU is the key to a stable system. A cheap PSU will cause all sorts of problems ranging from system instability to fried components.

A quality 430W PSU will easily power your system for not a lot of money.

Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D Green 430W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail $54.99

vTz

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
I've got it to work ! :bounce:

Thanks to you shortstuff, i took off the psu and gave it a good clean. It still wasn't working so i shorted the 20/24 connector as i read on thermaltake support and the psu turned out to be ok. After that process it didn't beep any error but still i've got nothing, untill i've realised that i forgot to plug the 4/8 connector into the motherboard. Turned it off, plugged the connector, and while i was doing that i realised that my videocard was slightly bent (less than 1mm , but the last 4 or 5 goldenfinger connectors weren't lining up correctly), so i've pushed it upwards untill it was "on the level" ( thought i might aswell give it a go ) :sol:

Unfortunately, now it's very loud and a bit overheated, i think ( i was runing swat4 and riva tunner showed me that it had 80 degrees celsius and as i type it's got 62).
Is that too high ? Any suggestions on that ?
Could anyone tell me how to close this topic? (after i'll get some opinions on my new temp problem :D )

Once again thanks for the support, vTz

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
80degrees is high, but not too high. GPU chips will suffer into the 90s and be fine. A low quality PSU could have been using low quality capacitors, and after enough heat/cool cycles, they degrade eventually burning out. If you cleaned your PSU, might be enough cooling to revive it, but I wouldn't count on it for long. ss has a good PSU linked for you. I'd move on that sooner than later.

You can select ss_mt as best answer and that will let everyone know you have the info you need. The discussion could carry on or request closure from a mod. I've seen that done on request also.

vTz

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
The top temperature was 104 degrees in some demanding games but it ran smoothly. After that it came down to about 70 degees. This morning it was 47 in idle when i turned on the computer. I think it's getting under control.

Skora, you were wright, it wasn't long 'till it happened again :pt1cable: .
After running a game for about 2 or 3 minuter it went to sleep, after a restart, i've tried it again, after another minute it went to sleep, another restart and it wouldn't post. After a while i tried turning it on and it went to sleep while i was in bios, so it's a good thing i've still got my old computer laying around :D .
I will go drop off the PSU at my reseller soon.

Also i don't know how to select him as the best answer. Could a mod do that and also let the discussion carry on ?

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
You can select the best answer by clicking the box in the post you want to select. The post will remain open even after you select it.

vTz

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
I've tried it with two other PSUs, an Antec Earthwats 550W and an older Raidmax 500W, i think booth had active PFC, and it still didn't work. :cry:

I went to my reseller saturday, the guy there said he's going to send it to service, let the tech guys look at it, but he asked for the case's box, wich i didn't bring along :lol: . It's so annoying not knowing what to do to it, or what to replace, it's already been a month since i started using this old computer. Also if i'm going to send it to service i probably won't be seeing it for another month, and i don't know if they're really going to fix it, and i'll have to use this slow pc. Btw, it's so slow that my beard grows faster than i can read an e-mail.

Any other wise suggestions are still welcome :(