Sign in with
Your question

Have I forgotten anything?

Last response: in Systems
February 3, 2010 5:42:54 PM

Hi all. Seems my rig went dead, but it's been on it's last legs for awhile (a friend accidentally kicked a usb stick (in the back) tearing much of the I/O wotsits off the mobo).

I'm salvaging my hard drive (1tb) and PSU (antec truepower 430w) and about to order:

Case: Fractal Designs define R2
Mobo: Asus M4A79XTD EVO 790X Socket AM3 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard (wasn't sure what to go for, but I wanted the ability to upgrade to SLI and i'm familiar with asus)
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 955 BE
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Ram: 2x2gb corsair dominator ddr3-1600
GPU: XFX HD 5770

Is there anything that i've forgotten?
Anything that I could get some big increases in performance for a small ammount of money?
Any known conflicts (massive cooler blocking ram, ram not liking mobo etc)?
Is my PSU up to the task?

Thanks muchly :) 
Jonathan

More about : forgotten

February 3, 2010 7:08:34 PM

well the minimun for the 5770 is 500W or higher, i wudnt have anything less than that otherwise u'd risk undervolting your card and killing it. and xfx usually overclocks it a lil bit so i'd get a 550 PSU and breathe easy.
February 3, 2010 7:11:13 PM

i'm nt sure abt the noctua and the AM3 proc,you mite need to look into it - clearance's around cpu+ram
Related resources
February 3, 2010 7:12:23 PM

Actually, the requirement is 450W or higher. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... But I also wouldn't get anything under 550W.

Looks pretty good, but I wouldn't get Corsair Dominator sticks. They're usually really expensive. Look around for some 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 ones.

I would get the Coolermaster Hyper 212 over that Noctua. It's a lot cheaper, and one of the best HSF out there.
February 3, 2010 7:27:42 PM

Good god, now i'm glad I posted first, I had no idea of the power requirements :) 

I based my cooler choice on: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-heatsink,2...

Unfortunately i'm limited by what's available on ebuyer.

If I want to have the option of going crossfire later, should I be going well above 550w?

I see lots of people on the forums here mention G-skill as a choice for ram, is there a reason for that?

Thanks all for the replies!
Jonathan

Edit: Argh only got an hour before I have to put the order in.

As i'm still under budget, I was thinking of going for an i5 750. I've never gone intel before, is there any reason why i'd regret it?

Edit 2:"One very important discovery made during this review is that if you have a high-end video card, the CPU has almost no influence in the system gaming performance. So if you are building a high-end gaming machine, maybe it is better to pick a cheaper processor and invest the price difference on a faster video card." - AMD it is
February 4, 2010 12:24:23 AM

XFire: Yes. If you're planning on adding a second card later, you should get something closer to 700-750W.

G.Skill: It's because they're cheaper in the US for the same specs. In addition, a little known fact is that they recently won a number of overclocking competitions.

Edits: Edit 2 is absolutely correct. Get the biggest GPU you can, even if it means getting a smaller CPU, like the X3 425 or X4 620.
!