Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I need to disable standby on all the workstations in my network. all XP Pro
sp1 machines. I'm trying to find out where this info is held in the
registry, it seems that it should be under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control
Panel\PowerCfg If I just try to change the CurrentPowerPolicy key to 3
"Always on" It will change the monitor and hard drive settings, but not
affect standby or hibernate in the power options dialog box. I've tried to
snapshot the registry during the change and this is the only place I see
anything changing, yet if I replicate teh changes on an other machine (like
the whole branch of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control
Panel\PowerCfg\PowerPolicies\3) it still doesn;t change the standby
settings. What am I missing here? This is a serious problem as standby is
breaking my legacy database app.

- Anthony

Anthony wrote:
> I need to disable standby on all the workstations in my network. all
> XP Pro sp1 machines. I'm trying to find out where this info is held
> in the registry, it seems that it should be under
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg If I just try to change the
> CurrentPowerPolicy key to 3 "Always on" It will change the monitor
> and hard drive settings, but not affect standby or hibernate in the
> power options dialog box. I've tried to snapshot the registry during
> the change and this is the only place I see anything changing, yet if
> I replicate teh changes on an other machine (like the whole branch of
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg\PowerPolicies\3) it still
> doesn;t change the standby settings. What am I missing here? This
> is a serious problem as standby is breaking my legacy database app.
>
> - Anthony

Anthony

MVP Kelly has a fix for this. Go to the following website and scroll to line
137, right side. There are 2 .vbs files there, one to disable Standby for a
user and one to disable Standby for the system. You can right click the file
and select Edit to view the registry changes that will be made.

Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP:

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User