Is it better 4*1gb dual channel or 2*2gb dual channel ?

miguelcotaque

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
hi i am building a new pc and i am asking if i buy 2*1gb(kit two of these ) ram having 4gb on dual channel or 2*2gb(kit) at dual channel the main con is that if i wanna upgrade i wont have any more space adn i don´t know if theres an increse on performance thanks

miguelcotaque

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010

OK AND SORRY FOR MAKING 2 THREADS IT WASN'T MY INTENSION WHEN I MAKE THE FIRST ONE IT DIDN'T APPEAR SO I MAKE THE SECOND ONE BUT THEN I NOTICE THE FIRST ONE WAS THERE :s
THANKS

I love ya saint19 but....
Yes you will see an improvement when running RAM in dual-mode and not single-mode.
It's not enough to make you scream and jump but your system will thank you by being more responsive...
Then the other benefits are obvious like the extra slots available and less heat (not enough to mention but hey, why not..)
If you have all the RAM then run test yourself, I have done this myself a few times when upgrading and have seen the difference.
Even though the WEI assessment is kind of bogus, run it with the RAM in single-mode then run it again in dual-mode.

I think you misread the question ! - Either way he is going to be running in dual channel (either 4x1GB. or 2x2 GB) which is why Saint said there would be no performance difference - the only real difference is the fact that the 4x1 fill all of the slots so upgrading later could be a problem (but only if you plan on upgrading later and do not have another use for 2x1GB. modules at that time !) - and the very slight chance that some MOBOs have trouble running with all slots filled without a slight bump up in voltage to the slots ( Vdroop can sometimes cause enough of a loss that you need to bump it up a notch to remain stable with the 4 slots filled which can cause a bit more heat to build up since you're using a bit more voltage)

miguelcotaque

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010

you are write ! it will be on dual channel anyway
also your voltage and heat suggestion seems write to me it will be more voltage need to distribute it to all ram slots or i will say amps so i will go for 2*2gb better i just was curios if i can gain performance that way but this way is better and why not to leave a free space to upgrade later
thanks everyone