Which one first - drivers or windows updates?

sargent d

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I have just installed XP Pro SP2 OS on my new system build and I am wondering what to install next. I guess I'm looking for advice on the order of the following - should I do drivers-SP3-updates or SP3-updates-drivers or updates-SP3-drivers? I have SP3 on disk so I don't have to log on to the internet to install.

Solution
go with the windows updates first, namely the microsoft .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 & 3.5, then update the drivers, THEN defrag the hard drive...

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
yes it does, if said user is using an ATI video card, he will need to install the .NET Framework applications & updates from Windows to be able to use the CCC (catalyst control center) for ATI video card settings...

Go with the windows updates first, THEN do the drivers, that way, the windows updates don't have a chance to corrupt any driver files as well.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I think the service pack for .NET 3.5 is in Automatic updates, but not sure if .NET 3.5 is included in the actual SP3.

Best bet is to download microsoft .NET framework, all versions, then the auto updater will update them as you go along...