Rundll32.exe Unable to Locate Compnent, CSCDLL.dll was not found?

toicy4ya

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Hello all,

When I try to access the "desktop" tab in "display properties" i get the following error;

rundll32.exe - Unable to Locate Component
This application has failed to start because CSCDLL.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.​

Can anyone assist me with this?

Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop
Windows XP

toicy4ya

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
I followed the link. the first method recommened that i download something called Topckit system analizer which appeared kinda suspect to me. Additionally, once it scanned my laptop it came up with nearly 400 errors and of course indicated that i needed to purchase the program to clean the errors. i cancelled it.

Any other suggestions?

toicy4ya

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
I fixed the issue but it didn't fix the problem i thought it would fix. My desktop has drop shadows that i cannot disable for the life of me.

I tried accessing system properties -> advanced tab -> settings and unchecked use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop. Nothing happened. i tried unchecking and rechecking "Use visual styles on windows and buttons", still nothing. I also tried accessing display properties, desktop tab (this is where i was having the CSCDLL.dll issue that you just fixed)clicking on color but still nothing. Any idea how i can fix this?