Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Thief preview

Tags:
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 8:35:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

At gamespy, and it sounds like the guy actually played it -

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/thief-deadly-shadows/509321p1....

--

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes !
They got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses !
And what's with all the carrots ?
What do they need such good eyesight for anyway ?
Bunnies ! Bunnies ! It must be BUNNIES !

More about : thief preview

Anonymous
April 28, 2004 2:43:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:35:19 +0100, Mark Morrison amazed us all by typing:

> At gamespy, and it sounds like the guy actually played it -
>
> http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/thief-deadly-shadows/509321p1....

Well its about time someone said something positive.. TBH I'm going to
ignore the Thief forums and here until its out and I've had a chance to
play it. The negative stuff is just getting out of hand these days (not
particularly here though).

Plus you start hearing in-game stuff you wished you had saw for yourself
first!
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 3:57:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:43:28 GMT, RichGK <foo@fup.fip> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:35:19 +0100, Mark Morrison amazed us all by typing:
>
>> At gamespy, and it sounds like the guy actually played it -
>>
>> http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/thief-deadly-shadows/509321p1....
>
>Well its about time someone said something positive.. TBH I'm going to
>ignore the Thief forums and here until its out and I've had a chance to
>play it. The negative stuff is just getting out of hand these days (not
>particularly here though).
>
>Plus you start hearing in-game stuff you wished you had saw for yourself
>first!

I want a demo.

The great thing about the Thief games, is that they're perfect for
demos. The practice level and the first full level would do me.



--

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes !
They got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses !
And what's with all the carrots ?
What do they need such good eyesight for anyway ?
Bunnies ! Bunnies ! It must be BUNNIES !
Related resources
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 5:18:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Mark Morrison wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:43:28 GMT, RichGK <foo@fup.fip> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:35:19 +0100, Mark Morrison amazed us all by typing:
> >
> >> At gamespy, and it sounds like the guy actually played it -
> >>
> >> http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/thief-deadly-shadows/509321p1....
> >
> >Well its about time someone said something positive.. TBH I'm going to
> >ignore the Thief forums and here until its out and I've had a chance to
> >play it. The negative stuff is just getting out of hand these days (not
> >particularly here though).
> >
> >Plus you start hearing in-game stuff you wished you had saw for yourself
> >first!
>
> I want a demo.
>
> The great thing about the Thief games, is that they're perfect for
> demos. The practice level and the first full level would do me.

I would be happy to hear the system requirements of it first.
Albert
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 1:42:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Albert R. Conklin wrote:

> I would be happy to hear the system requirements of it first.

Posted on http://www.thief-thecircle.com/ today:

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:
WINDOWS 2000/XP (ADMIN RIGHTS REQUIRED)(95/98/ME/NT NOT SUPPORTED!)
INTEL PENTIUM® IV 1.5GHz (AMD ATHLON XP™ EQUIVALENT)
256MB SYSTEM MEMORY
100% DIRECTX 9 COMPATIBLE SOUND CARD
3GB FREE HARD DISC SPACE
MOUSE AND KEYBOARD
CD-ROM DRIVE REQUIRED
EAX Advanced HD Supported - requires SoundBlaster Audigy range of
soundcards.

****LAPTOPS ARE NOT SUPPORTED!****

SUPPORTED GRAPHICS CHIPSETS:
ATI RADEON 8500
ATI RADEON 9 SERIES
(9000,9200,9500,9600,9700,9800)
NVIDIA GEFORCE 3TI SERIES
NVIDIA GEFORCE 4TI SERIES
NVIDIA GEFORCE FX SERIES
NVIDIA GEFORCE 6 SERIES
GRAPHICS CARD MUST SUPPORT PIXEL
SHADER 1.1!

UNSUPPORTED GRAPHICS CHIPSETS:
NVIDIA GEFORCE 4MX (460, 440 & 420)
NVIDIA GEFORCE 4 GO
NVIDIA QUADRO FX GO
NVIDIA GEFORCE NFORCE2 & NFORCE3

Note that although it is not specifically stated for the specs, the
game will not run on any current on-board video chips, such as 'Intel
Extreme Graphics' and whatnot. Just so you know.

--
Chris Herborth chrish@cryptocard.com
Documentation Overlord, CRYPTOCard Corp. http://www.cryptocard.com/
Never send a monster to do the work of an evil scientist.
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis.
April 28, 2004 2:33:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

It does sound as if the game has been played, and I'm a bit more encouraged
by what was being said. I'm also glad that the game seems more
"configurable"
than previous. Hopefully if there is an editor, it may at least provide a
way around
any shortcomings.
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 3:08:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 01:18:25 GMT, "Albert R. Conklin"
<aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote: <SNIP>
> I would be happy to hear the system requirements of it first.
>Albert

Me too. I read somewhere (on Ion Storm's forums I think) that it
would only be revealed on the box when launched which is
ludicrous. If there is any kind of demo before then, then we'll
know. The only concrete info I've heard from someone actually
using it is not too helpful but the report at

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/ t...ew_6094319.html includes
the following...

"Moreover, the game seems to handle well on a high-end PC with a
2.4GHz processor, 512MB RAM, and a GeForce FX5950 video card."

Now the FX5950 is a high end (£300/$400 range) card so you'd
expect it to work. But at least one can see that it works on a
2.4GHz/512Mb RAM machine so anyone with that need only worry
about their graphics card.

Ion Storm/Eidos must have some idea by now of what specs will be
needed but they just have such a dreadful PR/Marketing
department they say very little.
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 3:26:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Hang on! Just got this from a thread at ttlg. Not sure where he
got it from but I think it is for real but to be sure I'm just
going to have a scout around......

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS FOR THIEF 3:

WINDOWS 2000/XP (ADMIN RIGHTS REQUIRED)(95/98/ME/NT NOT
SUPPORTED!)
INTEL PENTIUM® IV 1.5GHZ (AMD ATHLON XP™ EQUIVALENT)
256MB SYSTEM MEMORY
100% DIRECTX 9 COMPATIBLE SOUND CARD
3GB FREE HARD DISC SPACE
MOUSE AND KEYBOARD
CD-ROM DRIVE REQUIRED
EAX Advanced HD Supported - requires SoundBlaster Audigy range
of soundcards.

****LAPTOPS ARE NOT SUPPORTED!****

SUPPORTED GRAPHICS CHIPSETS:
ATI RADEON 8500
ATI RADEON 9 SERIES (9000,9200,9600,9700,9800)
NVIDIA GEFORCE 3TI SERIES
NVIDIA GEFORCE 4TI SERIES
NVIDIA GEFORCE FX SERIES
NVIDIA GEFORCE 6 SERIES
GRAPHICS CARD MUST SUPPORT PIXEL SHADER 1.1!

UNSUPPORTED GRAPHICS CHIPSETS:
NVIDIA GEFORCE 4MX (460, 440 & 420)
NVIDIA GEFORCE 4 GO
NVIDIA QUADRO FX GO
NVIDIA GEFORCE NFORCE2 & NFORCE3
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 4:09:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Fidcal wrote:

> OK, at last I found the original official announcement. It was
> on the Eidos forum at.....
>
> http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=e8ddd2b0e...

Thanks Fidcal. But what does it mean by WINDOWS 2000/XP (ADMIN RIGHTS REQUIRED)?
Albert
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 4:09:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Albert R. Conklin wrote:

> Fidcal wrote:
>
>
>>OK, at last I found the original official announcement. It was
>>on the Eidos forum at.....
>>
>>http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=e8ddd2b0e...
>
>
> Thanks Fidcal. But what does it mean by WINDOWS 2000/XP (ADMIN RIGHTS REQUIRED)?

You need to have Windows 2000 or Windows XP, and the account you use to
install/run the game needs to be part of the "Local Administrators" group
("Power Users" _might_ work). This is, unfortunately, a common requirement
for games under these operating systems.

By default, the user account you get when you install 2000 or XP is part of
the "Local Administrators" group.

--
Chris Herborth chrish@cryptocard.com
Documentation Overlord, CRYPTOCard Corp. http://www.cryptocard.com/
Never send a monster to do the work of an evil scientist.
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis.
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 4:55:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:26:09 +0100, Fidcal
<trashcan@fidcal.screaming.net> wrote:

>Hang on! Just got this from a thread at ttlg. Not sure where he
>got it from but I think it is for real but to be sure I'm just
>going to have a scout around......
>
>TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS FOR THIEF 3:
>
>WINDOWS 2000/XP (ADMIN RIGHTS REQUIRED)(95/98/ME/NT NOT
>SUPPORTED!)
>INTEL PENTIUM® IV 1.5GHZ (AMD ATHLON XP™ EQUIVALENT)
>256MB SYSTEM MEMORY
>100% DIRECTX 9 COMPATIBLE SOUND CARD
>3GB FREE HARD DISC SPACE
>MOUSE AND KEYBOARD
>CD-ROM DRIVE REQUIRED
>EAX Advanced HD Supported - requires SoundBlaster Audigy range
>of soundcards.

Great,

So Thief 3 is going to cost me about $1K!!!

Griffin
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 5:38:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:47:25 GMT, "Albert R. Conklin"
<aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote:

>Fidcal wrote:
>
>> OK, at last I found the original official announcement. It was
>> on the Eidos forum at.....
>>
>> http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=e8ddd2b0e...
>
> Thanks Fidcal. But what does it mean by WINDOWS 2000/XP (ADMIN RIGHTS REQUIRED)?
>Albert

You need admin rights to install the game - only a factor on a work's
computer, where it's coonfigured to stop employees installing their
own software.

Or at home, to stop kids.

--

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes !
They got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses !
And what's with all the carrots ?
What do they need such good eyesight for anyway ?
Bunnies ! Bunnies ! It must be BUNNIES !
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 12:43:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:42:24 -0400, Chris Herborth
<chrish@cryptocard.com> wrote:

<snip>

Silly question - will the game run any faster or slower when switching
between first and third person ?

I would imagine that 3rd person would be slower, as there's an extra
figure on screen to have shadows for, but I'm not certain.

If someone decided to stay purely in 1st person, could they get away
with a slightly slower specced PC ?

Anyone ?

--

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes !
They got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses !
And what's with all the carrots ?
What do they need such good eyesight for anyway ?
Bunnies ! Bunnies ! It must be BUNNIES !
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 2:03:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:43:21 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:42:24 -0400, Chris Herborth
><chrish@cryptocard.com> wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>Silly question - will the game run any faster or slower when switching
>between first and third person ?
>
>I would imagine that 3rd person would be slower, as there's an extra
>figure on screen to have shadows for, but I'm not certain.
>
>If someone decided to stay purely in 1st person, could they get away
>with a slightly slower specced PC ?
>
>Anyone ?

You still have 'body awareness' - ie your shadow's still being
rendered - in 1st person, so your argument doesn't really apply. Even
if it did, I don't think it'd be noticeable, regardless of your
computer specs. Garrett's body's just a drop in the ocean of rendered
objects.

--
______________________________________________

What's up Chuck?


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 2:21:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 22:03:32 +0200, Greger Hoel
<gregerh@spamblock.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:43:21 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:42:24 -0400, Chris Herborth
>><chrish@cryptocard.com> wrote:
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>Silly question - will the game run any faster or slower when switching
>>between first and third person ?
>>
>>I would imagine that 3rd person would be slower, as there's an extra
>>figure on screen to have shadows for, but I'm not certain.
>>
>>If someone decided to stay purely in 1st person, could they get away
>>with a slightly slower specced PC ?
>>
>>Anyone ?
>
>You still have 'body awareness' - ie your shadow's still being
>rendered - in 1st person, so your argument doesn't really apply. Even
>if it did, I don't think it'd be noticeable, regardless of your
>computer specs. Garrett's body's just a drop in the ocean of rendered
>objects.

I thoough tthat might be the case, after remembering the 1st person
screen shot where Garrett is about to blackjack someone, and his
shadow can be seen on the wall behind the guard.

Thanks anyway.

--

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes !
They got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses !
And what's with all the carrots ?
What do they need such good eyesight for anyway ?
Bunnies ! Bunnies ! It must be BUNNIES !
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 11:42:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On the 28 Apr 2004, Fidcal <trashcan@fidcal.screaming.net> wrote:

> Hang on! Just got this from a thread at ttlg. Not sure where he
> got it from but I think it is for real but to be sure I'm just
> going to have a scout around......
>
> TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS FOR THIEF 3:
>
> WINDOWS 2000/XP (ADMIN RIGHTS REQUIRED)(95/98/ME/NT NOT
> SUPPORTED!)

Check.

> INTEL PENTIUM® IV 1.5GHZ (AMD ATHLON XP™ EQUIVALENT)

Check. Athlon XP 1.8GHz, IIRC. Should be enough.

> 256MB SYSTEM MEMORY

Check. 512MB (to make Champ Manager go faster).

> 100% DIRECTX 9 COMPATIBLE SOUND CARD

Wibble. Sound's built in to the board (a Gigabyte GA-7DX+) so I'm not
sure.

> 3GB FREE HARD DISC SPACE

THREE GIG?! BLOODY HELL! That's just taking the piss! I think I've got
abut 20GB spare ATM.

> MOUSE AND KEYBOARD

Why do they still put this on system requirements?

> CD-ROM DRIVE REQUIRED

Check. Does anyone have a PC without one?

> EAX Advanced HD Supported - requires SoundBlaster Audigy range
> of soundcards.
>
> ****LAPTOPS ARE NOT SUPPORTED!****
>
> SUPPORTED GRAPHICS CHIPSETS:
> ATI RADEON 8500
> ATI RADEON 9 SERIES (9000,9200,9600,9700,9800)
> NVIDIA GEFORCE 3TI SERIES
> NVIDIA GEFORCE 4TI SERIES
> NVIDIA GEFORCE FX SERIES
> NVIDIA GEFORCE 6 SERIES
> GRAPHICS CARD MUST SUPPORT PIXEL SHADER 1.1!

I take it that the GeForce 256 doesn't then?

Time for a new graphics card, then. Thief 3 can wait, it's not like I
don't have enough games to play. I might even get round to finishing
Thief 2!

--
Jades' First Encounters Site - http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm
The best Frontier: First Encounters site on the Web.

NOSPAM@jades.org /is/ a real email address!
Anonymous
May 1, 2004 12:20:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Graham Thurlwell wrote:

> (snip)

> > MOUSE AND KEYBOARD
>
> Why do they still put this on system requirements?

(snip)

Maybe someday all games will be voice activated. No need for mouse or
keyboard.
Albert
!