Thief preview

At gamespy, and it sounds like the guy actually played it -

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/thief-deadly-shadows/509321p1.html?fromint=1

And what's with all the carrots ?
More about thief preview
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:35:19 +0100, Mark Morrison amazed us all by typing:

    > At gamespy, and it sounds like the guy actually played it -
    >
    > http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/thief-deadly-shadows/509321p1.html?fromint=1

    Well its about time someone said something positive.. TBH I'm going to
    ignore the Thief forums and here until its out and I've had a chance to
    play it. The negative stuff is just getting out of hand these days (not
    particularly here though).

    Plus you start hearing in-game stuff you wished you had saw for yourself
    first!
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:43:28 GMT, RichGK <foo@fup.fip> wrote:

    >On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:35:19 +0100, Mark Morrison amazed us all by typing:
    >
    >> At gamespy, and it sounds like the guy actually played it -
    >>
    >> http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/thief-deadly-shadows/509321p1.html?fromint=1
    >
    >Well its about time someone said something positive.. TBH I'm going to
    >ignore the Thief forums and here until its out and I've had a chance to
    >play it. The negative stuff is just getting out of hand these days (not
    >particularly here though).
    >
    >Plus you start hearing in-game stuff you wished you had saw for yourself
    >first!

    I want a demo.

    The great thing about the Thief games, is that they're perfect for
    demos. The practice level and the first full level would do me.

    And what's with all the carrots ?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Mark Morrison wrote:

    > On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:43:28 GMT, RichGK <foo@fup.fip> wrote:
    >
    > >On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:35:19 +0100, Mark Morrison amazed us all by typing:
    > >
    > >> At gamespy, and it sounds like the guy actually played it -
    > >>
    > >> http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/thief-deadly-shadows/509321p1.html?fromint=1
    > >
    > >Well its about time someone said something positive.. TBH I'm going to
    > >ignore the Thief forums and here until its out and I've had a chance to
    > >play it. The negative stuff is just getting out of hand these days (not
    > >particularly here though).
    > >
    > >Plus you start hearing in-game stuff you wished you had saw for yourself
    > >first!
    >
    > I want a demo.
    >
    > The great thing about the Thief games, is that they're perfect for
    > demos. The practice level and the first full level would do me.

    I would be happy to hear the system requirements of it first.
    Albert
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Albert R. Conklin wrote:

    > I would be happy to hear the system requirements of it first.

    Posted on http://www.thief-thecircle.com/ today:

    TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:
    WINDOWS 2000/XP (ADMIN RIGHTS REQUIRED)(95/98/ME/NT NOT SUPPORTED!)
    INTEL PENTIUM® IV 1.5GHz (AMD ATHLON XP™ EQUIVALENT)
    256MB SYSTEM MEMORY
    100% DIRECTX 9 COMPATIBLE SOUND CARD
    3GB FREE HARD DISC SPACE
    MOUSE AND KEYBOARD
    CD-ROM DRIVE REQUIRED
    EAX Advanced HD Supported - requires SoundBlaster Audigy range of
    soundcards.

    ****LAPTOPS ARE NOT SUPPORTED!****

    SUPPORTED GRAPHICS CHIPSETS:
    ATI RADEON 8500
    ATI RADEON 9 SERIES
    (9000,9200,9500,9600,9700,9800)
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 3TI SERIES
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 4TI SERIES
    NVIDIA GEFORCE FX SERIES
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 6 SERIES
    GRAPHICS CARD MUST SUPPORT PIXEL
    SHADER 1.1!

    UNSUPPORTED GRAPHICS CHIPSETS:
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 4MX (460, 440 & 420)
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 4 GO
    NVIDIA QUADRO FX GO
    NVIDIA GEFORCE NFORCE2 & NFORCE3

    Note that although it is not specifically stated for the specs, the
    game will not run on any current on-board video chips, such as 'Intel
    Extreme Graphics' and whatnot. Just so you know.

    --
    Chris Herborth chrish@cryptocard.com
    Documentation Overlord, CRYPTOCard Corp. http://www.cryptocard.com/

    It does sound as if the game has been played, and I'm a bit more encouraged
    by what was being said. I'm also glad that the game seems more
    "configurable"
    than previous. Hopefully if there is an editor, it may at least provide a
    way around
    any shortcomings.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 01:18:25 GMT, "Albert R. Conklin"
    <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote: <SNIP>
    > I would be happy to hear the system requirements of it first.
    >Albert

    Me too. I read somewhere (on Ion Storm's forums I think) that it
    would only be revealed on the box when launched which is
    ludicrous. If there is any kind of demo before then, then we'll
    know. The only concrete info I've heard from someone actually
    using it is not too helpful but the report at

    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/ t...ew_6094319.html includes
    the following...

    "Moreover, the game seems to handle well on a high-end PC with a
    2.4GHz processor, 512MB RAM, and a GeForce FX5950 video card."

    Now the FX5950 is a high end (£300/$400 range) card so you'd
    expect it to work. But at least one can see that it works on a
    2.4GHz/512Mb RAM machine so anyone with that need only worry
    about their graphics card.

    Ion Storm/Eidos must have some idea by now of what specs will be
    needed but they just have such a dreadful PR/Marketing
    department they say very little.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Hang on! Just got this from a thread at ttlg. Not sure where he
    got it from but I think it is for real but to be sure I'm just
    going to have a scout around......

    TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS FOR THIEF 3:

    WINDOWS 2000/XP (ADMIN RIGHTS REQUIRED)(95/98/ME/NT NOT
    SUPPORTED!)
    INTEL PENTIUM® IV 1.5GHZ (AMD ATHLON XP™ EQUIVALENT)
    256MB SYSTEM MEMORY
    100% DIRECTX 9 COMPATIBLE SOUND CARD
    3GB FREE HARD DISC SPACE
    MOUSE AND KEYBOARD
    CD-ROM DRIVE REQUIRED
    EAX Advanced HD Supported - requires SoundBlaster Audigy range
    of soundcards.

    ****LAPTOPS ARE NOT SUPPORTED!****

    SUPPORTED GRAPHICS CHIPSETS:
    ATI RADEON 8500
    ATI RADEON 9 SERIES (9000,9200,9600,9700,9800)
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 3TI SERIES
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 4TI SERIES
    NVIDIA GEFORCE FX SERIES
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 6 SERIES
    GRAPHICS CARD MUST SUPPORT PIXEL SHADER 1.1!

    UNSUPPORTED GRAPHICS CHIPSETS:
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 4MX (460, 440 & 420)
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 4 GO
    NVIDIA QUADRO FX GO
    NVIDIA GEFORCE NFORCE2 & NFORCE3
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    OK, at last I found the original official announcement. It was
    on the Eidos forum at.....

    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=e8ddd2b0e7b04fb74ecc308dc8791777&threadid=37032
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Fidcal wrote:

    > OK, at last I found the original official announcement. It was
    > on the Eidos forum at.....
    >
    > http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=e8ddd2b0e7b04fb74ecc308dc8791777&threadid=37032

    Thanks Fidcal. But what does it mean by WINDOWS 2000/XP (ADMIN RIGHTS REQUIRED)?
    Albert
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Albert R. Conklin wrote:

    > Fidcal wrote:
    >

    >>OK, at last I found the original official announcement. It was
    >>on the Eidos forum at.....
    >>
    >>http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=e8ddd2b0e7b04fb74ecc308dc8791777&threadid=37032
    >

    > Thanks Fidcal. But what does it mean by WINDOWS 2000/XP (ADMIN RIGHTS REQUIRED)?

    You need to have Windows 2000 or Windows XP, and the account you use to
    install/run the game needs to be part of the "Local Administrators" group
    ("Power Users" _might_ work). This is, unfortunately, a common requirement
    for games under these operating systems.

    By default, the user account you get when you install 2000 or XP is part of
    the "Local Administrators" group.

    --
    Chris Herborth chrish@cryptocard.com
    Documentation Overlord, CRYPTOCard Corp. http://www.cryptocard.com/
    Never send a monster to do the work of an evil scientist.
    Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:26:09 +0100, Fidcal
    <trashcan@fidcal.screaming.net> wrote:

    >Hang on! Just got this from a thread at ttlg. Not sure where he
    >got it from but I think it is for real but to be sure I'm just
    >going to have a scout around......
    >
    >TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS FOR THIEF 3:
    >
    >WINDOWS 2000/XP (ADMIN RIGHTS REQUIRED)(95/98/ME/NT NOT
    >SUPPORTED!)
    >INTEL PENTIUM® IV 1.5GHZ (AMD ATHLON XP™ EQUIVALENT)
    >256MB SYSTEM MEMORY
    >100% DIRECTX 9 COMPATIBLE SOUND CARD
    >3GB FREE HARD DISC SPACE
    >MOUSE AND KEYBOARD
    >CD-ROM DRIVE REQUIRED
    >EAX Advanced HD Supported - requires SoundBlaster Audigy range
    >of soundcards.

    Great,

    So Thief 3 is going to cost me about $1K!!!

    Griffin
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:47:25 GMT, "Albert R. Conklin"
    <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote:

    >Fidcal wrote:
    >
    >> OK, at last I found the original official announcement. It was
    >> on the Eidos forum at.....
    >>
    >> http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=e8ddd2b0e7b04fb74ecc308dc8791777&threadid=37032
    >
    > Thanks Fidcal. But what does it mean by WINDOWS 2000/XP (ADMIN RIGHTS REQUIRED)?
    >Albert

    You need admin rights to install the game - only a factor on a work's
    computer, where it's coonfigured to stop employees installing their
    own software.

    Or at home, to stop kids.

    And what's with all the carrots ?
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:42:24 -0400, Chris Herborth
    <chrish@cryptocard.com> wrote:

    <snip>

    Silly question - will the game run any faster or slower when switching
    between first and third person ?

    I would imagine that 3rd person would be slower, as there's an extra
    figure on screen to have shadows for, but I'm not certain.

    If someone decided to stay purely in 1st person, could they get away
    with a slightly slower specced PC ?

    Anyone ?

    And what's with all the carrots ?
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:43:21 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:42:24 -0400, Chris Herborth
    ><chrish@cryptocard.com> wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >Silly question - will the game run any faster or slower when switching
    >between first and third person ?
    >
    >I would imagine that 3rd person would be slower, as there's an extra
    >figure on screen to have shadows for, but I'm not certain.
    >
    >If someone decided to stay purely in 1st person, could they get away
    >with a slightly slower specced PC ?
    >
    >Anyone ?

    You still have 'body awareness' - ie your shadow's still being
    rendered - in 1st person, so your argument doesn't really apply. Even
    if it did, I don't think it'd be noticeable, regardless of your
    computer specs. Garrett's body's just a drop in the ocean of rendered
    objects.

    What's up Chuck?

  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 22:03:32 +0200, Greger Hoel
    <gregerh@spamblock.com> wrote:

    >On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:43:21 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:42:24 -0400, Chris Herborth
    >><chrish@cryptocard.com> wrote:
    >>
    >><snip>
    >>
    >>Silly question - will the game run any faster or slower when switching
    >>between first and third person ?
    >>
    >>I would imagine that 3rd person would be slower, as there's an extra
    >>figure on screen to have shadows for, but I'm not certain.
    >>
    >>If someone decided to stay purely in 1st person, could they get away
    >>with a slightly slower specced PC ?
    >>
    >>Anyone ?
    >
    >You still have 'body awareness' - ie your shadow's still being
    >rendered - in 1st person, so your argument doesn't really apply. Even
    >if it did, I don't think it'd be noticeable, regardless of your
    >computer specs. Garrett's body's just a drop in the ocean of rendered
    >objects.

    I thoough tthat might be the case, after remembering the 1st person
    screen shot where Garrett is about to blackjack someone, and his
    shadow can be seen on the wall behind the guard.

    Thanks anyway.

    And what's with all the carrots ?
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On the 28 Apr 2004, Fidcal <trashcan@fidcal.screaming.net> wrote:

    > Hang on! Just got this from a thread at ttlg. Not sure where he
    > got it from but I think it is for real but to be sure I'm just
    > going to have a scout around......
    >
    > TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS FOR THIEF 3:
    >
    > WINDOWS 2000/XP (ADMIN RIGHTS REQUIRED)(95/98/ME/NT NOT
    > SUPPORTED!)

    Check.

    > INTEL PENTIUM® IV 1.5GHZ (AMD ATHLON XP™ EQUIVALENT)

    Check. Athlon XP 1.8GHz, IIRC. Should be enough.

    > 256MB SYSTEM MEMORY

    Check. 512MB (to make Champ Manager go faster).

    > 100% DIRECTX 9 COMPATIBLE SOUND CARD

    Wibble. Sound's built in to the board (a Gigabyte GA-7DX+) so I'm not
    sure.

    > 3GB FREE HARD DISC SPACE

    THREE GIG?! BLOODY HELL! That's just taking the piss! I think I've got
    abut 20GB spare ATM.

    > MOUSE AND KEYBOARD

    Why do they still put this on system requirements?

    > CD-ROM DRIVE REQUIRED

    Check. Does anyone have a PC without one?

    > EAX Advanced HD Supported - requires SoundBlaster Audigy range
    > of soundcards.
    >
    > ****LAPTOPS ARE NOT SUPPORTED!****
    >
    > SUPPORTED GRAPHICS CHIPSETS:
    > ATI RADEON 8500
    > ATI RADEON 9 SERIES (9000,9200,9600,9700,9800)
    > NVIDIA GEFORCE 3TI SERIES
    > NVIDIA GEFORCE 4TI SERIES
    > NVIDIA GEFORCE FX SERIES
    > NVIDIA GEFORCE 6 SERIES
    > GRAPHICS CARD MUST SUPPORT PIXEL SHADER 1.1!

    I take it that the GeForce 256 doesn't then?

    Time for a new graphics card, then. Thief 3 can wait, it's not like I
    don't have enough games to play. I might even get round to finishing
    Thief 2!

    --
    Jades' First Encounters Site - http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm
    The best Frontier: First Encounters site on the Web.

    NOSPAM@jades.org /is/ a real email address!
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Graham Thurlwell wrote:

    > (snip)

    > > MOUSE AND KEYBOARD
    >
    > Why do they still put this on system requirements?

    (snip)

    Maybe someday all games will be voice activated. No need for mouse or
    keyboard.
    Albert

Games Video Games