Apr 4, 2009
ASUS P7P55D-E EVO
Core i7 860
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 8GB (4x2) CL9
Gainward GeForce 9800GT 512MB
WD Caviar Black 1TB 3.5"
Corsair HX850W PSU
Samsung DVD RW burner, SH-S223C

My problem is that I can't boot from a windows 7 dvd (legitimate copy of home premium 64bit)
I was having a little trouble with the bios for a while - it wasn't seeing the hard drive or DVD drive. I've since set everything to AHCI compatible (otherwise with IDE or SATA I can't see the drives from the bios). Now I can see the devices and I have the DVD drive as the first choice for booting. However upon posting I get an error saying that the dvd drive is not ATAPI compatible and to press F1 to continue.

At this point I can hear the dvd spinning and trying to run but after half a minute I get a prompt saying to insert bootable media in the selected device and press any key to continue. At this stage I was able to get ubuntu 9.10 (32 bit burnt onto a CD-RW) to boot and install to the hard drive. I was also able to overwrite that ubuntu installation with a 64 bit copy of Win 7 RC (the official microsoft version) that was burnt onto a DVD RW. This also installed without a hitch to the hard drive.

At this point I thought it was a problem with the Win 7 home premium installation disc. However I was able to boot my laptop with the very same disc. So basically I can boot CDs and DVDs, windows and linux, 32 and 64 bit, on my new computer but not the perfectly good win 7 installation dvd. I don't know what to make of it. Help greatly appreciated. Also I don't have many spare peripherals lying around from old builds since this was my first build. Things I have are a few DVD RW and CD RW and an external USB hard drive (1 TB).

Micropat

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
Thanks for reading my above post.

I think I found the solution. I'll have to make a bootable USB partition, copy the dvd to it and install from USB.

Your new DVD drive could simply have defective error handling. Generally, optical drives have built-in error handling because there are always some errors.... a very poor drive will stumble so bad that it cannot recover, over minor issues.
This used to be very apparent when you tried to watch rented DVDs on a computer, many years ago. Many of the drives out at that time could not deal with a minor scratch or other flaw and could totally lock up the machine trying.... modern drives seem to be more fault-tolerant.

Sorry, I just find the subject interesting.

It's either that or some specific format issue... either way I'm pretty confident your new drive is at fault.

Biggles2010

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
I have just been suffering the same problem as micropat, trying to install Win 7 64 bit on an almost identical new build. The Samsung SH223C shows in the Bios but would not run the Win 7 install disk, although it would run the Asus motherboard support DVD when I tried that as a test.

At first I suspected a SATA problem. I eventually gave up and used an old LG drive with an ide interface to install the system.

I have since found numerous comments on the internet about this problem with the SH223C. It appears that this Samsung DVD drive does not like the type of DVD used by Microsoft for Win 7. There are also suggestions that it it may be specific to a particular batch of drives from late 2009.

It does not appear to be a compatibility problem with any particular motherboard, although a number of comments relate to boards with the P55 chipset.