Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Crash
  • Computer
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 28, 2010 2:10:51 AM

Help me tom's. My computer just recently started crashing whenever I open a game. Whenever i turn on any sort of graphically-intensive process, my computer's screen starts blacking out and coming back on again, in a loop (similar to when you switch between inputs on your TV) until it BSOD's. I am wondering whether this is a software malfunction, or a graphics card malfunction? the crash in itself looks very similar to a graphics card crash, however I checked the vista crash log, and this is what is says about the crash:

"The last sleep transition was unsuccessful. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, failed, or lost power during the sleep transition."

So i presume my computer is going to sleep and waking up again, over and over rapidly enough that it trips over itself and BSOD's, which would be caused by a software malfunction. so wtf is going on???

EDIT: also note that I completely cleaned all installed graphics card drivers, and reinstalled the latest one.. no luck. I'm starting to worry that my GPU just collapsed from accumulated stress (before I cleared massive amounts of dust out of its heat sink, it was getting up to 100C :o  )

More about : question

a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2010 2:23:04 AM

Turn off sleep mode in your power saving options, and see if you get anymore BSODs. Report back.
m
l
a c 190 U Graphics card
January 28, 2010 2:52:47 AM

yup, many people face problem with sleep mode, try as JofaMang said above... :) 
m
l
Related resources
January 28, 2010 3:07:07 AM

JofaMang said:
Turn off sleep mode in your power saving options, and see if you get anymore BSODs. Report back.

Reporting back: nope. sleep was already off in power saving options. Does anyone know how to turn off sleep via cmd? i cant find it on google for my life.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2010 6:47:14 AM

Now, was that the sleep mode for the monitor or the computer that is currently off? Because iirc, they are seperate entities and functions.

I have experienced what you described on rare occassions that my drivers were corrupted in a way that made switching resolutions trigger exactly what you said, flipping between black and blue, monitor getting mixed signals and eventually ending with a BSOD or me hitting reset.(desktop at 1920x1080p, coming out of a game at at 1440x900 for example). The few times this has happened, it didn't repeat itself. I don't know if that was because it was a driver issue and I would Driver Sweep and reinstall after an event like that, or if I was just experiencing a rare fault that ls hard to replicate. Since you had already done the driver dance, it is probably not related, but I think worth noting.

Of greater concern to me is the 100c heat. These cards are supposed to have a higher meldown point than that (110c+ apparently), but extended use at those temps could cause premature failure, as it is relatively close to grenade temps. If you could borrow another card to test for the same failures, or install your card in another system with adequite PSU power to try replicate the issue, you might be pointed at your card being toast.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2010 6:50:10 AM

The Sleep mode error might just be a false positive, as the problems your card is having might emulate some of the key conditions for a display to enter into sleep mode. Since sleep mode may not be enabled at all, a false positive seems likely.
m
l
January 28, 2010 3:36:23 PM

Sounds like it might be a heat or power issue. What card and what power supply are you using. What temps are you getting after you cleaned the card?
m
l
January 28, 2010 7:05:07 PM

scudst0rm said:
Sounds like it might be a heat or power issue. What card and what power supply are you using. What temps are you getting after you cleaned the card?

Oh sorry, forgot to mention lol. Using a Gateway FX 7026, out-of-box arrangement. (i know its noobish to have gotten a preset computer, but the price was unbelievable, relative to the ingredients.) my specs are: EVGA GeForce 8800 GT, factory overclocked to 650/925 (core/mem), Q9300 CPU @ 2.5 ghz, 4G generic DDR2 RAM.

since i cleaned the card, ive been getting around 55 idle, and 75 under load. MUCH more managable.
m
l
January 28, 2010 7:08:54 PM

JofaMang said:
Now, was that the sleep mode for the monitor or the computer that is currently off? Because iirc, they are seperate entities and functions.

I have experienced what you described on rare occassions that my drivers were corrupted in a way that made switching resolutions trigger exactly what you said, flipping between black and blue, monitor getting mixed signals and eventually ending with a BSOD or me hitting reset.(desktop at 1920x1080p, coming out of a game at at 1440x900 for example). The few times this has happened, it didn't repeat itself. I don't know if that was because it was a driver issue and I would Driver Sweep and reinstall after an event like that, or if I was just experiencing a rare fault that ls hard to replicate. Since you had already done the driver dance, it is probably not related, but I think worth noting.

Of greater concern to me is the 100c heat. These cards are supposed to have a higher meldown point than that (110c+ apparently), but extended use at those temps could cause premature failure, as it is relatively close to grenade temps. If you could borrow another card to test for the same failures, or install your card in another system with adequite PSU power to try replicate the issue, you might be pointed at your card being toast.

True. But it doesn't have to do with the resolution, rather with the load put on the card, since it does this even if the game is windowed. Also, i run all of my games at native resolution anyway (1680x1050).

I agree with the heat comment, but i dont see how a problem like BSOD under load could stay dormant for this long (seeing as i cleaned the dust out of the card about 2 months ago)

also, just randomly, in EVGA Precision, it will show my core and mem clocks, but not my shader clock. and when i try to change anything and hit apply, it will just revert back to factory settings. just fyi, dunno if it means anything, or if its just a bad mix between the new driver and EVGA Precision.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2010 7:25:48 PM

A card under great heat is under great stress. Even though it hasn't experienced great heat since you cleaned the sinks, the time it spent under that duress will greatly limit it's total lifespan. Think of how 25 year old heroin addicts look like a hard life 40.

The time under that great heat may have brought it close to failure, and running since at more normal temps may have just chipped away at the remaining life left in the card.
m
l
January 28, 2010 8:11:26 PM

JofaMang said:
A card under great heat is under great stress. Even though it hasn't experienced great heat since you cleaned the sinks, the time it spent under that duress will greatly limit it's total lifespan. Think of how 25 year old heroin addicts look like a hard life 40.

The time under that great heat may have brought it close to failure, and running since at more normal temps may have just chipped away at the remaining life left in the card.

cool, so you're saying that it's probably that the card's trashed. shitty, but good considering i was already thinking getting a new card anyway.

also, as a last-stand sort of thing, whenever it crashes, it says "display driver has stopped working and recovered", or something along those lines. are we absolutely sure its the card itself? though the card itself crashing would also cause that.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2010 8:55:07 PM

I am responding to your queries with possible problems. Not saying for sure that the card is trashed, just providing a rational, logical reason as to why, even months after cleaning the heatsink and maintaining lower temps, a card might die before its time. If you were planning on a new card anyway, and are prepared to fix whatever might else might be wrong, should there be another issue besides the card, then go ahead and buy the card, but there are other things you can try to eliminate other possible problems.

Display driver failure can be from any number of issues, from a burnt out card to power supply issues. The driver might also get corrupted during one of these events, so proper driver cleaning and reinstallation needs to be part of the process of elimination between tests.

If you have another PCI-E slot, even if it is slower, you should try it. If the problem is with the PCI-E slot power supply, running it on another PCI-E slot might diagnose it. Even if the other slot is slower (and might cripple the card) it will at least operate without the same faults.
m
l
January 28, 2010 9:15:20 PM

JofaMang said:
I am responding to your queries with possible problems. Not saying for sure that the card is trashed, just providing a rational, logical reason as to why, even months after cleaning the heatsink and maintaining lower temps, a card might die before its time. If you were planning on a new card anyway, and are prepared to fix whatever might else might be wrong, should there be another issue besides the card, then go ahead and buy the card, but there are other things you can try to eliminate other possible problems.

Display driver failure can be from any number of issues, from a burnt out card to power supply issues. The driver might also get corrupted during one of these events, so proper driver cleaning and reinstallation needs to be part of the process of elimination between tests.

If you have another PCI-E slot, even if it is slower, you should try it. If the problem is with the PCI-E slot power supply, running it on another PCI-E slot might diagnose it. Even if the other slot is slower (and might cripple the card) it will at least operate without the same faults.

i see. my reasoning is that if i can't fix the problem, i'll get a shiny new card. If i can fix the problem, ill just get another 8800 GT for like 25 bucks, then SLI them lol

also, my computer doesn't have another PCI-E slot...? idk if im just being a n00b, but it doesnt appear to.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2010 9:22:44 PM

More than 1 PCI-E slot is not a standard, but an extra feature on motherboards, so it's not surprising that you might not have one. If you can tell us your motherboard brand/model we can be sure of it, unless you are 100% sure you only have one, then that diagnostic is unavailable.

My point was, if it is the PCI-E slot that is having issue, a new card may not fix anything, and a new motherboard might be needed as well, leaving you with a new card you didn't really need, although if you were planning on getting it anyway, no big loss. Just making you aware of the possibilities that come to mind, not being able to get hands on with the box, heh.
January 29, 2010 7:42:17 PM

JofaMang said:
More than 1 PCI-E slot is not a standard, but an extra feature on motherboards, so it's not surprising that you might not have one. If you can tell us your motherboard brand/model we can be sure of it, unless you are 100% sure you only have one, then that diagnostic is unavailable.

My point was, if it is the PCI-E slot that is having issue, a new card may not fix anything, and a new motherboard might be needed as well, leaving you with a new card you didn't really need, although if you were planning on getting it anyway, no big loss. Just making you aware of the possibilities that come to mind, not being able to get hands on with the box, heh.

lol. like i said, its an FX 7026 out-of-box. as in, the first time i opened the case was a month ago (it still had the "void if removed" sticker on it, lols)

but k, ive settled it. Its almost definitely with the card, with respect to the *** its been through, so im getting a new card (a sapphire HD 5750 1GB Vapor-X to be precise). Thanks for your guys' help!
m
l
January 30, 2010 1:14:39 AM

Best answer selected by 8800GTocWOOT.
m
l
!