Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Please help in building a rig : Urgent

Last response: in Systems
February 3, 2010 10:09:20 PM

Hi,
I'm trying to build an energy efficient, stable and decent computer. I don't want to do another upgrade any time soon, so the rig should be able to last at least 3-5 years. I do not require a keyboard,mouse,speakers,monitor for the time being. I don't want to overclock because I've read that it decreases the length of life of a component over time. No plans to SLI or Crossfire my setup. (I just don't have that kind of money...)
I also do not want a power hog of a rig. Power bills... :( 

I thought of getting :
PROCESSOR : Core i5 750 2.66GHz @ Rs. 9.9k - 216$
MOTHERBOARD : Asus P7P55D-PRO @ Rs. 12.4k - 268$
GRAPHIC CARD : PowerColour HD5770 1GB GDDR5 V2 @ Rs. 9.9k - 216$ OR MSI GTX 275 Twin Frozr OC 896MB GDDR3 @ Rs. 12.8K
PSU : Corsair hx620 OEM @ Rs. 6.4k - 150$ (have been recommended trying to get a 550 W but I want to be safe just incase)
ATX : CM(COOLER MASTER) 690 (no idea about the price. But heard a lot of good things about this case. If there are better alternative mid-tower ATX cases, please do tell. I'd prefer them to be roomy and well wentilated. Not too flashy with LEDs and all, something simple in design but awesome in function and durability.)

I'd love to have atleast 4 GB DDR 3 RAM for this rig.
So, is this rig any good and is (for a lack of a better term) "future-proof" for atleast 3-5 years, and power efficient? If you have better recommendations, please do tell but remember it should be power efficient. My power bills should not kill me. :lol: 

I've also read that the Phenom II processors are good,cheaper alternatives to the i5. But I do not know much about its power consumption... Can someone recommend good Phenom II processors that are power efficient? And the I'm able to buy the Core i7 9xx series processors, but read it has high power consumption. Is this true? Or should I stick with the i5. The good thing about the Asus P7P55D-E Pro is that it has a LGA 1336 socket, so it should do if I upgrade in the near future.

Also, quite important : how much would you rate this setup out of 10?

Thanks.

P.S : I'm very sorry for the long post. :sweat:  Appreciate any help.

More about : building rig urgent

February 3, 2010 10:24:36 PM

I'm not sure what the prices are in India at the moment, but the i5 750 is probably a safe bet. If you are very concerned with power usage, you should get a more efficient PSU... a bronze rated unit at least:
http://techshop.in/store/product_info.php?cPath=320_194...

The Seasonic X650 would be ideal if you can find one, but that might be hard.
February 3, 2010 10:33:32 PM

The Core i7 i920 D0 2.66GHz is only 4000 Rs (87$) from the the i5 750. Its not too bad. Coupling the Asus P7P55D-E Pro and either an i7 or i5 will only have around a 4000 Rupees difference.

The Seasonic X650 is hard to find. Is the Corsair hx620 a bad PSU? It had awesome reviews and comes with a 5 year warranty. And I also read Seasonic does the main manufacturing of the PSU and Corsair adds some of its "unique" touches to finish it up.

The Asus P7P55D-E Pro should be a decent mobo right?

Thanks for the reply Proximon :) 

EDIT : The Seasonic bronze PSU you linked me to has a total efficiency of 87. And the Corsair hx620 has a total efficiency of 80+ according to this link : http://www.*****/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/2562-corsair-hx620-620w-power-supply-review.html

The ***** are : h a r d w a r e c a n u c ks.com without the spaces.

EDIT 2: I totally forgot about the power consumption of the i7 series... and the i7 860 is priced higher than the i7 9xx series here despite being having the older 1156 socket. So, looks like the i5 750 for me. If the 1156 socket does last for another 2-5 years, then I think this is more than enough for me. The mobo and processor will be more than enough.
Related resources
February 3, 2010 11:43:19 PM

No the HX620 is a fine PSU, but you seemed to place a premium on power usage and the extra efficiency of the X650 I thought would be good.

You could easily use an Antec TP-550, which is Bronze rated and modular also. Nothing on your list will draw much power, really.

You can always consult the actual 80Plus website for efficiency... Just be warned that they do not test at warmer temps and that can make a big difference in efficiency.

http://www.80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_join.aspx

On the CPU, yes the CPU itself is not so expensive but you would need an LGA 1366 motherboard for it, and triple-channel memory.

Your other choice on a P55 board would be the i7 860
http://techshop.in/store/product_info.php?cPath=320_22_...

Yes both i7, but different sockets... confusing I know.

February 4, 2010 12:15:50 AM

I checked out the i7 series. The 8xx,7xx etc are of LGA 1156 whereas the i7 9xx series are all 1336. Since, I'm looking for a power efficient card, the i5 should be more than enough right? And I only plan on playing games and applications like browsing and movies.

So i5 or i7, which is the better buy in terms of power consumption and power : performance ratio?
I am leaning more to the i5... I won't be doing any video editing/encoding at all.

The Asus P7P55D-E PRO - should I stick with it? (it supports USB 3.0)
February 4, 2010 12:24:45 AM

I think the board and CPU (i5 750) combo are fine. The video cards you have will probably fall behind in a year or two, if you are gaming at 1680x1050 or higher. That's to be expected though. I haven't had more than 2 years out of a GPU ever, I think. Maybe that old TNT2 Ultra ;) 

Games will be using more cores in the future so the quad should last well. You should be able to upgrade it also for 2-3 years.

February 4, 2010 12:35:48 AM

Thank you so much Proximon! Since I'm not planning on overclocking, the LGA 1156 Foxconn problems should not be an issue right? Link : http://www.overclockersclub.com/news/25803/

If not, then I'm finalizing the Asus P7P55D-E PRO and the i5 750 2.66 GHZ :D 

Also, I thought of going with the Corsair hx620 mostly because, if I do upgrade in the near future, I don't have to spend money on a new PSU. The hx620 should be more than enough then right?

Again, thanks a lot Proximon :D 

EDIT : The Corsair TX 650 is just 400 rupees more than the hx620. Should I go with this or the X650 you recommended ?(the X650 costs 8.5k while the hx620 costs 6.4k and the TX 650 costs 6.8l) :)  Though, if it isn't available, I'd have to revert to the hx 620...
February 4, 2010 5:43:23 AM

No, the Foxconn socket won't be a big issue. However, the newer P7P55D-E might suit you better. It's actually a newer board and generally costs a bit less. Uses a Lotes Socket.

The HX 620 and the TX650 are fairly similar I think. Minor revisions (and modularity) for the HX.

The X650 is very much superior to anything else you might buy at that power range. Its only competitor would be the Antec SG650 and maybe one of the newer Enermax units. Worth it for someone like me, probably worth it for you if power is expensive. It's a very new design and Seasonic is very serious about their warranties.

Here is a serious review of the X-650. Note the full load testing and hotbox tests:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
February 4, 2010 6:39:47 AM

So you are saying I should get the ASUS P7P55D-E and not the E-PRO?
And just incase : if I don't come across the E series, should I just stick with the standard P7PP5D PRO? (its much more better in terms of layout than the normal P7PP5D)

And OMG at the statistics of the X650!!! It costs about 8000-8500k here when compared to the Corsairs which are about 6.4 - 6.8k. Am I right in saying, in terms of electricity bills, the X650 is better for the long run? If so, I'll hunt down this PSU. Though, if it isn't available, I may have to choose another alternative...

Thanks again Proximon :) 
February 4, 2010 7:19:22 AM

It may be there was an older -E model, but I think not. This newer one comes with a Lotes socket and came out in December. Here is a newegg link to it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can at least judge if the layout will meet your needs. As I think I said, the socket is not going to be a big issue for you, but it's best to buy a board that is robust as possible, and that includes the socket.

Given that the X-650 will draw less power at idle or at load compared to the Corsairs, and will produce less heat and be quieter, and will put less strain on your parts due to exceptional ripple suppression and voltage control... Yes, I think it's a good buy for anyone, if they can fit it into the budget.

Off the cuff, given a 300W draw at peak (about right for you), you would save about 20-30W during peak gaming. Around 10W at idle. Compared to the TX650.
February 4, 2010 7:26:45 AM

Thanks.

What about the PSU?
February 4, 2010 7:32:18 AM

I made an edit ;) 
February 4, 2010 8:10:00 AM

Thanks.

I got one major problem. My current budget is going to exceed well over Rs. 50k (1080 $).
After checking for more alternatives, I came across substitutes for the i5 and the P7P55D-E :

Athlon II X4 620 2.6GHz @ 4.9k OR Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz @ 5.2k
ECS A785GM-M @ @ 4.8k

for a total of about 217$.

If I choose this setup, its more cheaper and plus, I can invest more in a better GPU...
I am so confused... Is this more power efficient than the i5 and P55 combo?
Which is the better value for money?
February 4, 2010 9:14:37 AM

The Phenom II X4 925 2.8GHz is only 1000 rupees more than the Phenom II X3 720BE. Which should I choose from this?

And between the Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H and the Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2 Motherboard you recommended, which would be the better? The former is about Rs. 500 more than the latter.

Is this a good enough mobo and processor for gaming? If it is, I'm in your debt for a long time :D 

MAJOR EDIT : Due to a lot of help, I finally came up with this rig.
Full specs are :

Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz B.E. C3 @ 8.9k
MSI 790GX-G65 AM3 @ 7.1k
PowerColour HD5770 1GB GDDR5 V2 @ 9.9k
Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600MHz C9 Titanium @ 5.8k
GlacialPower 650W AA @ 4.6k PSU
Cooler Master Centurion 590 @ 3.8k

Is this setup good? How much would you rate it out of ten? I thought of swapping the PSU with the x650...Thanks for all the help Proximon :) 

February 4, 2010 1:04:29 PM

If you're not interested at all in even mild overclocking (which will not affect component life), then the X4 925 is a good deal. The 720BE overclocks so easily though, that it probably isn't really worth it. If you buy an AM3 mobo, then if you need to in the next year or so you'll be able to buy a X6 CPU.
On everything else, +1 @ Proximon; I probably didn't need to stick my oar in at all...
February 4, 2010 1:30:28 PM

Thanks for the link :) 

I think I should for the GlacialPower PSU. Its much cheaper than the x650 (x650 costs 8.5k ouch) and with its 90% + efficiency, sounds like a great deal.

jtt283 : My rig should be okay for future gaming right? I mean for a single GPU, it should be sufficient right? I don't mind lowering some of the graphics (HDR, shadows etc) at higher resolutions. I would love to use this rig to play MGS Rising,Splinter Cell Conviction,Max Payne 3,Crysis 2,Deus ex 3,Assassin's Creed 2 etc with decent FPS and graphics :) 
February 4, 2010 4:14:18 PM

Sorry for the double post. In other forums, I was recommended to get the GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AMD 785G motherboard( http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2471 ) instead of the MSI 790GX-G65 AM3 as it is more cheaper.

Should I go with the Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H?
February 4, 2010 10:13:54 PM

Generally speaking, you'll find the majority opinion is that Gigabyte is higher quality than MSI.

And I appreciate the help jtt, I don't live in front of my computers, although sometimes it seems like it ;) 

I had absolutely no idea about the GlacialPower. Missed that review. Seems like a good budget choice.
February 5, 2010 4:10:37 AM

I'm kinda confused - people told me to go for the i5. But since the i9 is supposed to come out, won't (Intel is know for changing architecture drastically) most of their products have lesser support? Won't they be out-tdated? AMD is known to support their stuff for a decent amount of time without making drastic alterations like Intel. I couldn't help agreeing with that.

What should I do? That AMD rig of mine was almost finalized :( 

And I can get a HD 5850 1GB instead of the 5770. Is this a good choice? Which brand of 5850 should I get?

EDIT : The power consumption of the i5 is much better than the X4 965 B.E... The power consumption is an important thing for me because my family has made it very clear that the electricity bills should be bearable.

I'm upgrading from a Pentium 4 511 processor to a Quad core AMD or Intel i5. So, the power consumption should be bearable. Since the i5 is more expensive but better in the long run, should I go for it?

The thing is both the AMD Phenom II X4 965 B.E - Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H and Core i5 750 2.66 Ghz - Intel DP55WB are almost the same price here.

The electricity rates here are high so please understand.
February 5, 2010 6:26:56 AM

I would expect both platforms to have similar longevity... meaning you can probably upgrade the CPUs for about the same amount of time in the future.

The i5 is the better performer, but not in any drastic way as far as gaming goes. I would expect it to be a longer lasting and cooler CPU however.

Plus, look at where each processor fits into it's series. You cannot currently buy a stronger AMD processor. The i5 750 has a few stronger siblings that will fit in the same socket.
February 5, 2010 6:33:06 AM

So, is this rig good to go? :

Core i5 750 2.66 Ghz @ 10k

Intel DP55WB @ 6.3k

Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB @ 2.2k

PowerColour HD5770 1GB GDDR5 V2 @ 9.9k OR PowerColour HD5850 1GB GDDR5 @ 16.4k

Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600MHz C9 Titanium @ 5.8k

GlacialPower 650W AA @ 4.6k PSU

Cooler Master Centurion 590 @ 3.8k

Best solution

February 5, 2010 9:08:56 AM

I think that will be fine. On the GPU, you are getting what you are paying for. Obviously though the 5770 will consume much less power. My info says 28W difference under typical 3D loads. Not any real difference at idle though. ;) 
February 5, 2010 9:18:01 AM

Best answer selected by hitoshura.
February 5, 2010 9:20:28 AM

Thanks Proximon for being very patient with me and jtt283 for the GlacialPower PSU review :D 

Happy gaming at budget and low electricity bills FTW!

Thanks once again.

~ hitoshura
!