Sign in with
Your question

Windows upgrade Question

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
February 3, 2010 11:02:17 PM

I was wondering if I had windows Vista and upgraded to Windows 7 with the upgrade disc, could I use that windows 7 Upgrade and do a complete reinstall of the operating system on my harddrive without having to go all the way back to Vista?
February 8, 2010 1:35:00 PM

If I understand your question correctly, yes. Windows 7 Upgrade edition doesn't even require an active OS, nor an active product key. It comes with a product key and you can install it on a fresh build with no other OS in place.
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
February 8, 2010 1:42:07 PM

What Babachoo said is slightly confusing (and partly wrong), so I'm going to clarify.

The upgrade version DOES require an OS to be installed to work. So you can't just install it without having a previous version in place. However, you can reinstall Windows 7 once it has been upgraded.

You can also start with a "fresh" install by doing a clean installation, but you might need a second HDD or external to copy all of the data to before you start.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
February 8, 2010 1:44:03 PM

babachoo said:
If I understand your question correctly, yes. Windows 7 Upgrade edition doesn't even require an active OS, nor an active product key. It comes with a product key and you can install it on a fresh build with no other OS in place.

That's not exactly true. The upgrade version does scan your system for the existence of a previous OS. There are ways to do a fresh install from an upgrade disk, but you'll have to do a Google search for something like "Windows 7 upgrade fresh install".
m
l
February 8, 2010 1:50:03 PM

Well call me wrong all you want. All I did was build a new system, put in the disc and installed Win7 Home Premium Upgrade edition. No key needed other than what was provided in the box, and no existing OS was needed. I didn't have to google jack squat, and I didn't have to follow someone else's special instructions on how to install Win7 Upgrade without an OS.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
February 8, 2010 1:53:50 PM

If you say so... I'm guessing you had an old HD installed or something. The upgrade disk does scan for an existing OS, but it doesn't have to be on the same disk you're installing to. I had an old HD with Vista installed on it and that's what allowed me to do a fresh install of Windows 7 with an upgrade disk.

OP - do you already have the upgrade disk? If not, it's best to just get the OEM version so you don't have to worry about it.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM $104.99
m
l
February 8, 2010 1:54:34 PM

If you reused a mobo that had Windows XP or Vista on it, that could be the case. Or you didn't actually use the upgrade version...
m
l
February 8, 2010 1:58:01 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
If you say so... I'm guessing you had an old HD installed or something. The upgrade disk does scan for an existing OS, but it doesn't have to be on the same disk you're installing to. I had an old HD with Vista installed on it and that's what allowed me to do a fresh install of Windows 7 with an upgrade disk.

OP - do you already have the upgrade disk? If not, it's best to just get the OEM version so you don't have to worry about it.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM $104.99

Then you guess wrong. Brand new HDD as well as everything else in the PC.
And if anyone is wrong, it would be you for recommending an OS that you can only install on ONE motherboard. If he ever wanted to build a new system or had to replace his mobo, he would have to buy a brand new copy of Win7. The upgrade edition is the same price, but you can install it on a different mobo, if you ever needed to. System Builders editions are a ripoff.
m
l
February 8, 2010 1:58:49 PM

MadAdmiral said:
If you reused a mobo that had Windows XP or Vista on it, that could be the case. Or you didn't actually use the upgrade version...

I could show you screenshots of my receipts and such if that would help convince you that I'm a man of my word. I'm not here to deceive, rather to enlighten.
m
l
February 8, 2010 2:07:27 PM

I'm not saying you're intentionally deciving anyone, just that your experience (or whatever you want to call it) isn't the norm and shouldn't be expected. The way the upgrade disc is designed, you cannot install it on brand new hardware without performing an act that is prohibited by Microsoft...

While the OEM version does only work on one motherboard, that's all you really need. As it's cheaper than both the upgrade (by $10 or more if you use combos) and full retail (by $100) versions, it's a good deal. You just have to be aware of what you're buying (you know the old saying "buyer beware")...

And actually, if you have to replace your motherboard, you can call Microsoft to have them reactivate the install key as long as it's the same exact motherboard. This isn't a sure thing, but they have done it in the past. And since the OEM version is about 1/2 the price of the full version, you can buy it twice (hence 2 computers) before it's more expensive. So you actually get 2 uses out of the same amount of money instead of just one. I fail to see the ripoff.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
February 8, 2010 2:11:27 PM

I've even replaced a motherboard with a completely different model/manufacturer. All you have to do is call Microsoft and explain that you had a hardware failure. They're not required to re-activate the OS, but I've never had them refuse. I generally always use OEM software. The only reason I got the upgrade version for my own computer is because I got in on the pre-order deal where I got it for $50.
m
l
February 8, 2010 2:19:34 PM

babachoo said:
Well call me wrong all you want. All I did was build a new system, put in the disc and installed Win7 Home Premium Upgrade edition. No key needed other than what was provided in the box, and no existing OS was needed. I didn't have to google jack squat, and I didn't have to follow someone else's special instructions on how to install Win7 Upgrade without an OS.

Was it the Windows 7 Upgrade student disc? The $29 deal? Because you are right on that....that is how it works. However the retail versions are "supposed" to scan for an existing OS installation. Just check out the windows 7 section of the forum for multiple threads on this topic.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 8, 2010 2:21:45 PM

I've had the exact same experience as shortstuff_mt, I've called Microsoft at least once, possibly twice after hardware failures and they haven't turned down my reactivation request.
m
l
February 8, 2010 2:21:54 PM

MadAdmiral said:
I'm not saying you're intentionally deciving anyone, just that your experience (or whatever you want to call it) isn't the norm and shouldn't be expected. The way the upgrade disc is designed, you cannot install it on brand new hardware without performing an act that is prohibited by Microsoft...

What act are you talking about that is prohibited by Microsoft? I want to make sure I didn't accidentally do something to make my software illegal.
m
l
February 8, 2010 2:25:21 PM

There's a way to use the Upgrade disc to install it on a system without a previous version of Windows. I don't know the specifics, but you could Google it...

You don't have anything to worry about. It's not like MS has a way to track you down, or would spend the money to do so. It won't prevent you from getting updates and won't have any other negative affects.
m
l
February 8, 2010 2:35:36 PM

MadAdmiral said:
There's a way to use the Upgrade disc to install it on a system without a previous version of Windows. I don't know the specifics, but you could Google it...

You don't have anything to worry about. It's not like MS has a way to track you down, or would spend the money to do so. It won't prevent you from getting updates and won't have any other negative affects.

So I assume it has to do with something complicated and intentional and could not be accidentally done. I'm just confused because my Upgrade version installed on a clean OS just by inserting the disc and clicking the mouse a couple of times, but you act like I did some criminal act to pirate my software or something. And as for "tracking", do you really not think MS has a way to track me down? If you think they would have any trouble at all inspecting every nook and cranny of your PC without having to pay anything, are you sure we're talking about the same MS here? :D 

And if you think MS is bad, that search engine that starts with a G makes MS look like Gandhi.

m
l
February 8, 2010 2:43:28 PM

I don't particularly think it's a criminal act. Just that it would be against the forum rules to discuss how to do it here...

As far as tracking, that's what the key is for. Techincally, MS could possibly track you through that, but I don't they could.

And I'm not of the opinion that MS is particularly evil.

Anyway, we've gotten pretty far off topic as it is...
m
l
!