Football32player32

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Okay, so this is my first build and I am semi-knowledgeable, meaning I will understand some of the lingo and try my best to take any good advice! The goal here is to make a computer I can play just about anything I want to with 50+ fps on ultimate settings, as well as be able to use it for everything else I want to do on it such as every day use (I wont be doing video or photo editing/rendering or anything like that). So here is what I have wrote down as my parts list so far on my original $600 budget that I see is closer to $800 and would like to (don't have to) get back to $700:

Intel Core i5 3570k processor ~ $205 ~ Amazon
Asrock z77 extreme4 motherboard ~ $110 ~ Amazon
1TB 3.5" internal hard drive ~ $50 ~ Ebay
Rosewill CHALLENGER black gaming ATX Mid Tower ~ $45 ~ Newegg
Kingston 1x8GB DDR3 1600 mhz PC3 12800 Ram ~ $45 ~ Ebay
SLI Nvidia Geforce 560 ti video cards ~ $200 ($100 ea) ~ from a friend who decided he wants to go 660's instead of using these
Wireless adapter (not sure which yet, suggestions?) ~ $20 ~ Amazon
LG DVD Writer ~ $20 ~ Newegg
Logitech Keyboard (already have a unifying logitech mouse) ~ $20 ~ Amazon
Power Supply (thinking 850w, but idk for sure and which one particularly, need advice) ~ $? ~ ?

P.S. I plan on overclocking the 3570k to its max potential (supposedly 4.9 ghz), as well as the graphics cards. Advice needed on this is if the case I have listed is sufficient cooling (check it out, has fans in it), if not then what else do i need, and cost and everything, need all suggestions and be specific please! Also accepting advice on anything you can think to add! thanks!

Football32player32

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

Thanks for the advice, was thinking about the ssd! And the 4.9 is really just a personal goal to say I hit approx 5 ghz haha

Football32player32

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

Why would I want to do that?! Sli just isn't comparable to a single card! Thanks for the advice though! Can you add some reason begin it please?! Thanks to both of you and everyone that comments in the future!

I am not a fan of using sli when a single good card will do the job.
That said, since you have two GTX560ti cards, you might as well try them.
After all, if your friend was truly pleased, he would have kept them.
If it does not work out, they sell for more than the $100 you paid for them on ebay.

You will need a quality 700w psu with 4 pcie 6 pin leads.
My short list of quality units would include Seasonic, Corsair, PC P&C, Antec, and XFX.
Here is a PC P&C silencer 750 silver rated unit for $ 90 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703027

On the ram, you want 8gb in a 2 stick kit of 2 x 4gb. Otherwise, you will run only in single channel mode. DDR3 1600 is all the speed that is worthwhile. It seems to me that such a kit is cheaper on newegg than ebay.

For a wireless adapter, don't use a cheap usb dongle.
It will have weak signal strength.
You want an add in card with an antenna. PCI or pcie is ok.

You may never get to 4.9, even with the best $80 cooler. Noctua nh-d14 or phanteks.
4.3 is sufficient, and a $30 cm hyper212 will do that.
Your gaming will be determined by the graphics cards, that is the weak point of your build.

SSD prices are down, and any build with your budget deserves one. It makes everything you do feel so much quicker. I suggest you at least defer on a hard drive in favor of a ssd.
A 120gb ssd will hold the os and half a dozen games. If you buy a 180 or 240gb ssd, you may never need a hard drive.

sli shows up well in benchmarks of games that support it. Not all games do.
Another issue is microstuttering. It is an annoying effect when the two cards can not render their halves in sync. It is more apparent with lower strength cards. Ask your friend if he experienced it.
Read more about it here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

Football32player32

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

there is no problem with my friends 560's! he has a $3200 build and is always just into having the best of the best so he is upgrading to 660's! , thanks for the advice on the ram, another person told me that newegg is giving 2x4 stick with the purchase of a z77 extreme 4 for free! so that works, thanks for the advice on the adapter too! and btw my friend could and can play or do anything he wants! no issues at all that you spoke of!

Football32player32

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
okay, so updated build so far (subject to change):

1TB 3.5" internal hard drive
Rosewill Challenger case(advice?)
intel core i5 3570k processor
asrock x77 extreme4 (w/ 2x4GB DDR3 1600mhz PC3 12800 ram)
Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 ti SLI video cards
internal wireless adapter
SSD (size to be determined, advice?)
Some sort of coolant system, advice?)
Power supply (still to be specifically determined, advice?)
KEEP IN MIND EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE MAXED OVERCLOCKED

For your coolant system, you either want dedicated water cooling or one of the higher-end air coolers. If you go with water cooling, you'll probably be able to hit 5GHz.

Personally, I don't care for that case - I'd go with the NZXT Gamma Classic. Same reference design, but slightly better cooling and looks.

I'm with the other guys on SLI - it makes NO sense to spend $230 on a CPU and $100 on graphics cards. The rule of thumb is to spend twice on the GPU what you do on the CPU. The other thing is that SLI works in AAA games, and that's basically it. On most other games, you'll be running a single 560ti... which makes no sense.

Do yourself a favor, sell the 560s for a profit, and get a GOOD 6-- or 7--- series card; it's more than worth it.

As an SSD, the minimum I'd recommend is 120/128 GB. That's enough for an OS and a handful of the games that take the longest to load.

Football32player32

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

so you're saying i should water cool if i want to hit 5 ghz, still spend the 215 or w/e on the 3570k, not use my 2 560's that are 100 ea ($200 for the pair), and spend $430 on a power supply?...... can you elaborate on what a AAA game is, and would using a Rosewill THOR V2 be good enough so that i wouldnt require water cooling? to get upper 4's? and would you recommend a nvidia geforce gtx 660 ti if i did decide to run a single card, or what? BTW im putting windows 8 ultimate on it, as i got it for free (& its not even out for 10 more days lol). ~perks of my job~