Help please - monitor shuts off, keyboard and mouse stop working

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnyd12

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Hey,

I'm having a frustrating problem with my new PC that I just built. While running programs that require a lot of processing power (Call of Duty, installing new programs, etc.) my monitor will suddenly shut off and the keyboard and mouse stop working. The computer stays on, LEDs stay on, and fans keep blowing, but the computer is completely unresponsive. In order to get the computer working again I have to completely restart it.

This started happening as soon as it was built, even before I connected it to the internet, so I don't think it's any sort of virus. I've tried a lot of things to troubleshoot it. I bought new RAM, yet it still happens. I tried updating the BIOS and it didn't help. I also downloaded all the latest drivers. I've run MemTestx86 to ~500% with no errors. I've been on the phone with both the RAM manufacturer and motherboard manufacturer to no avail. After trying all this, I'm starting to think it might be related to the power supply, graphics card, or maybe even a faulty motherboard.

I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Scott

Gigabyte GA P55A UD3 motherboard
Intel Core i5 750 processor
Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB hard drive
Lite-on x24 DVD Burner
Galaxy GeForce 9800 GT 512MB graphics card
G.Skill Ripjaws PC3 12800 4GB DDR3 RAM
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
OCZ Fatal1ty 550W ATX12V power supply

torgga

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I also have the same problem, have no idea what is going on with it. Is your MOBO set up for crossfire or sli if it has more than one PCI-e 2.0 slot?

I have a Biostar MOBO with two Pci-e2.0 slots and it is only set up for crossfire. I have 8gb of ram DDR2 1066, Geforce GTX 260, Phenom II x4 3.2ghz.

News_54

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Wait, so a new GPU will fix the monitor, mouse, and keyboard all shutting off? That doesn't seem like it should work. I've been having this problem for a few weeks now and have tried multiple things as well. Never once thought it was my graphics card though!

Status
Not open for further replies.