TurboDave

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Which category if appropriate for my purpose? High end gaming probably has overkill graphics. Is multithreading offered by the new i7 relevant? I know I need a fast HDD system like RAID 0. Meanshile, something tells me to go ahead and build to the max to get multipurpose longivity in the design. Memory is cheap now, so load up. I just don't want to overkill my budget with some lopsided design that is not fit to purpose. Riding the bleeding edge is not very cost effective.

I have built several machines using the MS OS and AMD CPU with ASUS MBD, but nothing recently. I have a box with PSU and all the peripherals. Just need CPU, MBD, Video, memory and HDD.

Thanks.

p55ibexpeak

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
There's no category for computers or anything if money is no object. What's your budget?

I'd lean very much towards i7 920 cuz it got 8 threads & 3 channel memory. The i7 860 got 8 threads, but 2 channel memory. It can make a difference in terms of video encoding time or any other time-consuming tasks like compressing/decompressing a large archive.

i7 920
X58
3 X 2 GB DDR3 or more

TurboDave

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
X58 refers to Mobo architecture; rather than P55, right? Need to read up on that. Also rumor is that the i9 may use same socket as i7, 1156 or something?

Meanwhile, tnx fer info.

p55ibexpeak

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
X58 is chipset, so is P55. Each chipset supports a set of features. And one of them is cpu support. That's why they support different cpus. For LGA 775, there's been like 10 chipsets, thanks to Intel. Or no thanks. Not all LGA 775 chipsets support the 45nm quads, for example. So my point is you can't future proof anything. Rumors are just that.