Sign in with
Your question

Gaming SolarPC

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
February 4, 2010 12:07:20 AM

I have an off-grid home and have been wondering about a decent gaming PC using DC power so I don't have to buy a bigger inverter. We generate power via wind, solar, and generator, which is stored in a large 24v battery bank made up of 2v telecommunication backup batteries. The power supply is the main issue as the only ones I have been able to find were designed for carpc's and have a maximum rating of around 250w which is to low for a decent gaming PC (I think?). Could I just use two PSUs; one for the cpu & gpu, and the other for peripherals? Would these units accept 48v if I were to switch my battery configuration at some future date?

More about : gaming solarpc

February 9, 2010 4:59:40 AM

So you use your multiple sources to charge deep cell batteries? Then from the deep cell batteries you run your electrical appliances? Since you are running 12 2v batteries in series (giving you 24 volts), why not run 2 banks of 6 in series (for 12 v) and then join them in parallel. This will give you a 12v outcome but the same storage capacity.

It has been awhile since I have done any electrical theory, but if I remember correctly very few non-military items even use 24 volt systems.
I would look for an intel I3-I5 setup for the low power consumption. That would be a good start.

The multiple power supplies would work in theory. As smart as computers think they are, they feed on electricity, regardless of the source. However, if the hands are plugged in without the brain, who knows what they would do, so you would need to put both supplies together on a shared circuit, so that all components get power at the same time. As long as each device, be it video card, cpu, mobo, get the right voltage and amperage, it should not matter "how" the power gets to them.

May 18, 2011 8:34:40 PM

Quote:
I have an off-grid home and have been wondering about a decent gaming PC using DC power so I don't have to buy a bigger inverter. We generate power via wind, solar, and generator, which is stored in a large 24v battery bank made up of 2v telecommunication backup batteries. The power supply is the main issue as the only ones I have been able to find were designed for carpc's and have a maximum rating of around 250w which is to low for a decent gaming PC (I think?). Could I just use two PSUs; one for the cpu & gpu, and the other for peripherals? Would these units accept 48v if I were to switch my battery configuration at some future date?

Check out shuttle's amd am3 .. put a quad core processor in it... ssd and.. a gentle video upgrade.. you can even up the power to 300w.. Off grid here in the mountainous southwest...
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
May 18, 2011 10:40:14 PM

there was a point in the early 2000s where 250W PSUS that were 'GPU Only' supplies that mounted in a 5.25 drive slot existed, so getting a pair of supplies to do the job isn't impossible.
!