Thief I vs. Thief II

I know this is kind of a general question that everyone's answered once in a
while but which of the 2 are better games?

I have only played a little bit of Thief II but I think hands down, Thief I
owns it. You can't beat the creepy atmosphere and who needs "mechanists"
anyways.

Do you think that Thief is one of the best games ever? If so, then why?

> Do you think that Thief is one of the best games ever?

Nope.

I like Thief fine when it actually *is* Thief but this was only about a
third of the time in the original. The bonehoard-style maps, I plain
despised - they were a sellout to the action crowd since the designers
didn't have enough faith in their own stealth concept and they were poorly
designed to boot (Mario-style beam-jumping in an LGS game??)

No way can I give top marks to a title that betrays its own theme for 60% of
the gameplay.

Thief 2 is the game that actually saved my interest in the franchise. Thief
1 was too often about reacting - Thief 2 was about planning and strategy.
Thief 2's designers also put mission design and gameplay over story which is
the right prioritization. Story's important, but gameplay is primary.

Far as I'm concerned, Thief 1 was a beta - Thief 2 was where the designers
took the concept and ran with it.

"Sam...er?" <samasin@sammer.com> wrote in message
> I know this is kind of a general question that everyone's answered once in
> while but which of the 2 are better games?
>
> I have only played a little bit of Thief II but I think hands down, Thief
> owns it. You can't beat the creepy atmosphere and who needs "mechanists"
> anyways.
>
> Do you think that Thief is one of the best games ever? If so, then why?

Thief 1 all the way my man. I found T2 had some overly long and boring
missions and the last one in particular was a complex load of tedium. It
also featured silly robots and, let's be honest, the whole plot was a bit on
the silly side. On the other hand T1 was almost flawless and I consider it
to be one of the world's best games in any genre on any platform.

Juniper

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2003

I liked both Thief and Thief II. However, both had missions that
could have been left out. Thief I could have done without Bonehoard
and the upsidedown manor. I would rather it had left magic/undead out
entirely. Thief 2 could have skipped the missions where you had to
get these three things to make another thing mission and the last
mission was just too boring.

Now Chasing Assassins down a street to a manor and then investigating
the manor those missions rocked. In thief 2 the mission where it was
mostly rooftop work was great, especially the cut scene with the two
sets of archers. The other classic scene was Benny Drunk. Both are
memorable/unforgetable.

Some missions in both were just wonderful. Could have skipped the
whole theme of the Nature God in the first series and the evil
"servant maker" in the second and still made for excellent theiving.

Check out the FAN Missions for some real Thief work.

Juniper

i can't believe everyone hated the Bonehoard, undead was exciting and added
much to the spooky atmosphere. Same with RTC.

Sam...er? wrote:

> i can't believe everyone hated the Bonehoard, undead was exciting and added
> much to the spooky atmosphere. Same with RTC.

When I was _playing_ them, I hated them, but looking back, I had a _lot_ of
being being scared witless in RTC.

--
Chris Herborth chrish@cryptocard.com
Documentation Overlord, CRYPTOCard Corp. http://www.cryptocard.com/

Chris Herborth wrote:
> Sam...er? wrote:
>
>> i can't believe everyone hated the Bonehoard, undead was exciting and
>> added
>> much to the spooky atmosphere. Same with RTC.
>
> When I was _playing_ them, I hated them, but looking back, I had a _lot_
> of being being scared witless in RTC.

That would be "a _lot_ of fun being scared". *sigh*

I really can't decide which one I like more... ask again when I'm done The
Metal Age. ;-)

--

SpammersDie wrote:
>>Do you think that Thief is one of the best games ever?
>

> Nope.
>
> I like Thief fine when it actually *is* Thief but this was only about a
> third of the time in the original. The bonehoard-style maps, I plain
> despised - they were a sellout to the action crowd since the designers
> didn't have enough faith in their own stealth concept and they were poorly
> designed to boot (Mario-style beam-jumping in an LGS game??)
>
> No way can I give top marks to a title that betrays its own theme for 60% of
> the gameplay.

I'm on the Thief 1 (Gold) side of the fence. Thief 1 had a much more
interesting story and more interesting environments. Thief 2 feels
watered down to me. I've got no problem with sneaking past burricks and
haunts -- it's more exciting than sneaking past humans, most of the
time. Robots don't do it for me. They're more of an annoyance than
anything. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe because they're loud (it's
hard to be surprised by one, and I tend to find myself hiding from
robots that are actually nowhere near me) and because they require
wasting precious water arrows to get rid of quietly.

I think Thief 1 has a better balance between human encounters and
non-human encounters (though not perfect). Besides that, it has better
humans and better non-humans.

In my book the only advantages Thief 2 has are that it's prettier, and
has a few good ideas that Thief 1 didn't have, but these are mostly
minor things.

-Kevin

"Sam...er?" <samasin@sammer.com> writes:

> i can't believe everyone hated the Bonehoard, undead was exciting and added
> much to the spooky atmosphere. Same with RTC.

I liked the first parts of the Bonehoard. The last section in the
series of hexagonal rooms was a bit tiresome. Not because it was bad,
but because you couldn't hide well or be stealthy (despite their odor,
zombies seem to have a good sense of smell). Ie, my solution there
was to do a whole lot of loud running around, which just didn't feel
right. But the first part was pretty good. Knocking out Burricks can
be quite fun.

I liked the RTC, but there were fewer zombies also. Lots of places to
explore and hide which is always good. The haunts and apparitions
didn't bother me, since it is easier to hide from or kill them. I
actually killed the first transparent ghost I ever saw (apparition?)
with only my blackjack; I basically panicked and started swinging over
and over, keeping it off balance until it went down.

--
Darin Johnson
Laziness is the father of invention

> i can't believe everyone hated the Bonehoard, undead was exciting and
added
> much to the spooky atmosphere. Same with RTC.

Problem is, I didn't buy into the Thief concept for "excitement." I bought
it for it's promise of stealth and systematic infiltration. The more
"exciting" a mission is, the more I consider Garrett to have failed to act
as the invisible master thief he is.

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

>Thief I could have done without Bonehoard
> and the upsidedown manor. I would rather it had left magic/undead out
> entirely.

How can you conceivably believe this?? You would strip away about 70%
of the game.

>Could have skipped the
> whole theme of the Nature God in the first series

Sure, thus removing any semblance of storyline from the game. The mind
boggles.

rms

"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> >Thief I could have done without Bonehoard
> > and the upsidedown manor. I would rather it had left magic/undead out
> > entirely.
>
> How can you conceivably believe this?? You would strip away about 70%
> of the game.

Hey, we came up with the same percentages :)

I think the idea was to replace that 70% with missions that actually have
Garrett thieving. That is the name of the game, after all - "Thief", not
"Garrett Jones and the Crypt of Doom."

You can still weave a storyline around this. Not every game storyline has to
be about saving the world from some megabadass. You already have an
unconventional protagonist in Garrett and world-saving isn't really the role
I see him playing in the first place.

"Sam...er?" <samasin@sammer.com> wrote in

> I know this is kind of a general question that everyone's answered
> once in a while but which of the 2 are better games?
>
> I have only played a little bit of Thief II but I think hands down,
> Thief I owns it. You can't beat the creepy atmosphere and who needs
> "mechanists" anyways.
>
> Do you think that Thief is one of the best games ever? If so, then
> why?

I think Thief Gold had the better atmosphere.
I really liked the Bonehoard, Cragescleft and Lost City missions.

Thief II is the _only_ game that has caused me motion sickness!!!
And I've played most of the first person games worth playing since the days
of Dungeon Master, Doom and Ultima Underworld.

So I had to stop playing Thief II.

Tim

"Sam...er?" <samasin@sammer.com> wrote in message
> I know this is kind of a general question that everyone's answered once in
> while but which of the 2 are better games?
>
> I have only played a little bit of Thief II but I think hands down, Thief
> owns it. You can't beat the creepy atmosphere and who needs "mechanists"
> anyways.
>
> Do you think that Thief is one of the best games ever? If so, then why?

I prefer Thief I only because of its superior voice acting. Not all of the
voice acting in Thief II is poor, of course, but so many of them sound like
moonlighting programmers, which completely destroys the mood at times. If it
wasn't for that I would prefer Thief II, more thieving and less tomb
raiding.

"Sam...er?" <samasin@sammer.com> wrote in message
> I know this is kind of a general question that everyone's answered once in
> while but which of the 2 are better games?

You do realize that you've presented a question which cannot really be
answered, don't you? It would've been better to ask: "Which one do you
prefer: Thief: TDP or Thief II: TMA, and why?"

It all comes down to personal tastes and preferences, and it's really
pointless to try and find a "winner" here. To me, the only winner is Thief
as an experience, and that includes Thief: TDP, Thief II: TMA, all the
amazing Fan Missions and all the amazing, crazy taffers who make up the
community of Thief fans.

In case you're interested, I prefer Thief II: TMA because it involves more
actual thievery, going against humans in real buildings, and less
supernatural elements -- and I even like the storyline in Thief II better.
I also think that the Mechanists were a great addition to the world of
Thief, and Karrass was an unpredictable and a believable, interesting
villain. It doesn't mean that I don't love Thief TDP(Gold), though.

- Mika L

"Mika Latokartano" <mika.latokartano@REMOVETHIS.kolumbus.fi.invalid> wrote
in message news:c75ago$7ke$1@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi...

> "Sam...er?" <samasin@sammer.com> wrote in message
> > I know this is kind of a general question that everyone's answered once
in
> > while but which of the 2 are better games?

I went into Metal Age straight after paying System Shock 2 which was a
mistake... it felt like the same game and not a bit like TG.

Looking back though it's hard to separate them.

>You do realize that you've presented a question which cannot really be
>answered, don't you? It would've been better to ask: "Which one do you
>prefer: Thief: TDP or Thief II: TMA, and why?"

I prefer Thief 2 because there are a lot more fan missions for it, it has
a wider array of thiefy tools, and it looks better.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/