How To Test CPU

php_wizardry

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I have built a machine awhile back, but have had problems with it lately. I have sent the motherboard back in for a replacement. Come to find out, 1 of my ram sticks were bad, which didn't show up on the memtest before I sent the board back in. Now, it just doesn't act right. I am just wondering, how can I test my cpu, which is a phenom ii x3 720 to see if there is something wrong with it? Thanks in advance.

php_wizardry

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Thanks for the reply...here is a screenshot of cpuz and hwmonitor....not sure what the 90 degrees celcius is too...but i have seen this on the board before the replacement one....and on the core speed, it sometimes drops to 800 mhz...so if you see something wrong here or have some advice, please give :) Thanks in advance...

pic1.gif

php_wizardry

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

Sorry, didn't reply to your post, but the message is for you above...or anyone else that can help...

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009

What's probably happening is that AMD Cool 'n' Quiet is turned on. It's throttling the clock speed of your CPU.

If you want to toggle CnC, then go into your BIOS and disable it.

Cheers.

php_wizardry

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

I have already disabled the cool and quite...starting to worry that I have fried my cpu...everytime i take it up to 3.2, it gives me BSoD...even with more voltage, which it shouldn't need....any other ideas?

php_wizardry

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

I don't have the other board no more. I had to send it back in...I just updated the bios with 2 different versions and still does the same thing :( so it isn't the bios...I also took out some ram from another machine and placed it in here just to make sure, but it still crashes...all I am doing to OC it, is disabling the cool and quite, moving the speed of the cpu to 3.2, up the voltage just a lil bit... when i get to windows, it appears fine, then run prime95, then it crashes before it gets to test 2

php_wizardry

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Ok I have taken out the phenom ii x3 720 and slapped in a athlon 64 x2 4200+. I had the phenom ii x3 720 at stock settings in the bios and even booting up to windows caused a bsod. And when I tried to run prime 95 it would also crash. Now, with the athlon in here, im currently running prime95 and on the web. Nothing so far shows any glitches. Does this mean that the phenom is dead...or to the point I need to send it in to amd for replacement? I really think the phenom is donedy....please, if anyone knows what else I can do to fix the issue, please let me know. Thanks in advance for the help.

php_wizardry

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

umm....well the thing is andy, when i first built this computer, it ran just fine without touching bios. And after about 2 months when I started fooling with it (overclocking), things started to go down hill. Even with ALL Default settings, it crashes. I really do believe its the cpu. I have replaced the motherboard, hdd, ram. Tried a diff psu and unhooked all the accessories. I even slapped in the athlon and it ran fine. So I have to say its the cpu imo. Anyone else got any other ideas?

php_wizardry

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

Unfortunately, no. Right now, I have my Athlon 64 x2 4200+ in it and its running just fine. I havn't experienced any crashes or anything like that. So, with that said, does this mean my phenom ii is dead? I know they are both different and require different settings, but I have tried everything I know to fix this. Maybe something else that I don't know. Is there a program I can run, outside windows, like a bootable cd to test the phenom to make sure it is dead? Its not windows either, as I tried to boot up a livecd of linux and it would just freeze up. Any ideas would be great, as I have just ran out of them. Thanks in advance.

php_wizardry

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

Hey there. Well, I sent the phenom ii off for a replacement and have gotten it back. I have now gotten the ram to work correctly. However, I can't seem to get the phenom ii x3 720 to overclock at all...its stock at 2.8 and can't even get a 3.0 out of it...I up the voltage on it, turned off cool and quite and i dunno...this machine has turned into a pos on me...and i dunno why :(

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
TBH, you should probably start a new thread in order to get the best help, as this is a slightly different issue, and I know pretty much nothing about AMD overclocking.

Sorry I can't help you.

Cheers.