Sign in with
Your question

2 sataII ssd in raid 0 or 1 sata III ssd?

Last response: in Storage
February 5, 2012 2:45:58 PM

I have a P67 mobo (Asus P8P67 WS Revolution) running a corei7 K with 4 sata II and 4 Sata III ports (2 Marvell 2 Intel). I'm currently running a single 60gig OCZ Vrtx 2 ssd as my OS drive. Im looking into adding another ssd but not sure whether to get another Vertex 2 for Raid 0 or go for the newest Vertex 3 that can take advantage of sataIII. My goal is to get data transfer rates as fast as possible. Any sugs?
a c 302 G Storage
February 5, 2012 5:07:44 PM

The current general rule of thumb is purchase the largest capacity ssd you can afford. The larger capacity ssd's tend to perform a little bit better then the smaller capacity ssd's. That's why the manufacturers send out their larger capacity ssd's for technical reviews.

If you have SATA 3 6Gb/s capabilities, then you can skip a RAID0 array unless you are doing some sort of highly specialized professional or scientific work. If you are a gamer, then it won't make any difference in performance.

What do you with your pc?
m
l
February 6, 2012 1:59:02 AM

Thanks for the advice! Yes I primarily game with my pc, and just dabble with 3D studio max on occasion. So that answers my question. Ill be going for the Vertex 3! Thanks
m
l
February 6, 2012 4:46:32 AM

I have just gone from two ocz vertex drives I a larger corsair m4 and the old vertex drives were faster. They got a windows score of 7.7 while my new drive only gets 7.2

Don't know how accurate a benchmark that is but they did seem a little quicker
m
l
!