Hydro Series H80 claims it never needs to be refilled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
I'm kind of skeptical of this claim. Is it true or not?
To answer this directly, this is true...you should not or hope to never need to fill it. If you do, you have a leak and all that coolant ended up somewhere inside your case.

YattaRX8

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Yeah, I've been trying to talk my friend out of buying it. His CPU has been running kind of hot lately, but it's been almost a year since his other friend last applied thermal paste for him, and who knows if it was applied correctly or not...

To answer this directly, this is true...you should not or hope to never need to fill it. If you do, you have a leak and all that coolant ended up somewhere inside your case.

I guess my problem with the claim is I assumed they were using distilled water like most do in regular water cooled systems, so I was wondering how they dealt with evaporation. Of course they would be using a coolant other than water; I'm embarrassed for thinking otherwise.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
In a closed loop, evaporation doesn't occur- the loop is 'closed'. If your friend's CPU is running hotter than it has, there could be a few things:

- Did he overclock it? If so, expect higher temps
- Is there dust build up in the CPU cooler and/or fans?
- Is the cooler mounted correctly on the CPU; has anything come loose?
- Has ambient room temp changed dramatically; like moving from a basement room to higher room in a house?
- Is his gear in the same case as before? Has case airflow been impacted by dust/dirt, etc?

YattaRX8

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012

themoreyouknow.jpg. Is it because the liquid is never exposed to air?

- Did he overclock it? If so, expect higher temps
not overclocked

- Is there dust build up in the CPU cooler and/or fans?
He cleaned a bunch of dust out a few days ago and said it got a degree or two cooler

- Is the cooler mounted correctly on the CPU; has anything come loose?
Dunno, I haven't looked at it. I'll probably go over there and tear it apart when I get in the mood

- Has ambient room temp changed dramatically; like moving from a basement room to higher room in a house?
Negative

- Is his gear in the same case as before? Has case airflow been impacted by dust/dirt, etc?
Nothing changed here

I should mention that his CPU temperature is still in the safe range; it's just very high in the safe range.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Closed loop means no contact with external air- there might be 'air' to some degree inside the unit, but this isn't the same...it's still a sealed unit. In fact, I'm willing to bet that 99.99% of all watercooling loops or liquid coolers do have air inside the loop...it's nearly impossible to remove all traces of air...and it's perfectly acceptable to have some in your reservoir.

How hot is "hot"?
Agree- in Celsius. Also, what were the load temps before?

Status
Not open for further replies.