butor20022

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Ok so I have the following Motherboard that i want to test:

http://www.jetwaycomputer.com/download/Manual/J7F2/7F2.pdf

I have a power supply and can connect the 20-pin connector to the motherboard (there is actually a 24-pin block on the mobo)

Question 1:
Should I connect the 4-pin cable from the powersupply to the remaining 4 spot on the 24-pin block on the mobo ? it doesnt say so on the manual

Question 2:
with just the 20-pin cable plugged in, I get a steady green LED light on the mobo indicating that it receives the 5 VSB. But the CPU fan doesnt start and the mobo doesnt beep

In the installation procedure, they talk about a power switch:

"This 2-pin connector connects to the case-mounted power switch to power ON/OFF the system"

Is that require to make the mobo post ? if so, how can I simulate it asuming I have just the mobo (no case with an ON/off switch)

tecmo34

Administrator
1) The 4-pin ATX plug needs to be plugged into the 4-pin next to the CPU. (Assuming you PSU only has a 20-pin ATX.

2) See above... You need the 4-pin plugged into the motherboard by the CPU.

As for booting outside the case, you will still need a CPU/HSF, graphics (on-board or dedicated) and RAM to boot (hard drive be nice?). I would Google "Breadboarding" to get a better idea on what is required to do it.

xaira

Distinguished
you do not need all 24 pins to make a board work, i have used pretty high powered boards with just 20 pins, on page 17 it shows you which are the power pins, the power pins are connected to the power button of a case via wires, to power up the board simply short circuit the 2 pins and the board should power up

butor20022

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009