Is the marvell sata controller faster or the intel controller?

Nick_Bond

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Hello,
Im building a new Z68 system and Im confused wether to connect my drives to the Marvel or Intel controllers...
I have a WD caviar black 2tb HDD and 3 corsair force GT ssds (60Gb). I want to use one of the SSDs for the smart responce technology and I want to use the other two as my boot drives in RAID 0. My Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z68x-ud4 B3. I know in order to use the smart responce technology I have to plug the HDD and one of the SSDs to the Intel controller (Sata3), but I dont know if the marvell controller on the motherboard supports RAID 0???? I also wanted to know if the intel Sata 3 is any faser than the Marvell one????

The Intel SATA controller is faster than the Marvell SATA Controller.

Connect your HDDs to the Intel 3Gb/s ports SATA2_2 & SATA2_3.
2 HDDs in RAID-0 cannot spin fast enough to saturate the 3Gb/s ports, so you don't have to worry about any loss in performance connecting the drives there.

Next create your RAID-0 array, install Windows and then install your motherboard drivers.
Next install Intel's latest RST drivers: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20624&keyword=%22rst%22&lang=eng

After you have done all of that connect your SSD to the Intel 6Gb/s port SATA3_0 or SATA3_1.

You can then boot into Windows and run SRT to cache the SSD to your HDD RAID array.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you had multiple HDDs that you wanted in RAID. I now see you have multiple SSDs.
You can disregard my directions above.

See my next post for correct instructions

The Intel SATA controller is faster than the Marvell SATA controller.

The purpose of Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology) is to give "SSD-like" performance to a HDD with an Operating System on it by caching it with a SSD. It’s not for caching a SSD with a SSD. You will already have SSDs in RAID with an O/S on it so there's no need for "SSD-like" performance and you will gain no performance benefits by using it that way.

Connect 2 of your SSDs to the Intel 6Gb/s ports SATA3_0 & SATA3_1.
Next create your RAID-0 array, install Windows, and install your motherboard drivers.
Next install Intel’s latest RST drivers: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20624&keyword=%22rst%22&lang=eng

After you have done all of that you can then connect your HDD to one of the Intel 3Gb/s ports (SATA2_2 thru SATA2_5) and then you can connect your remaining SSD in AHCI mode to one of the Marvell 6Gb/s ports (GSATA3_6 or GSATA3_7).

TRENDING THREADS