Ssd advice for new build

savoy7

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
hello guys,

I need to decide on the capacity of an ssd for a new home built trading computer.

...had a cpuple of things to clarify.

firstly how much capacity would i need as the computer will be use just for day trading.

right now I use just 12 gb on my "C" partition and my "D" is empty.

I want to use windows 7. Will a 60 gb ssd suffice for my needs as in day trading, the data is on your brokers server and nothing is downloaded to the drive?

The 12 gb that i mentioned above includes - windows xp pro sp3, trading platform, dot net framework and other essentials like winzip and the adobe stuff....nothing else.

Should i go with a 60 gb or would you recommend an 80 gb which is more expensive?

btw...I am aware that an ssd will just load the trading program faster and wont make it any faster as its a stand alone application that pulls data directly from the brokers servers...its just that I need a quieter pc.

just one more question....can i have just one "C" partition and install windows 7, trading software, winzip and adobe together?...would that create any stability issues.....I am not interested in recovery...if it crashes I can install it again. As i said, I have no data on my pc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanx,

savoy7

A 60GB solid state drive is more than sufficient for your stated needs.

The current general rule of thumb is purchase the largest capacity ssd you can afford. The larger capacity ssd's tend to perform a little bit better than the smaller capacity ssd's. That's why the manufacturers send out their largest capacity ssd's for technical reviews.

Yes, you can have one large C drive and load Windows and your software applications on it. That's exactly what I did. No problem.

BTW - If you can manage it you might want to consider upgrading to Microsoft Windows 7. The OEM versions will do just fine. Work well with ssd's. Older versions don't always play nice or support all ssd features. Win 7 Pro 64 OEM will use up somewhere between 20GB and 21GB when the OS and all the downloads, patches, and security fixes are installed.