• Homebuilt
  • Asus
  • Intel i7
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 4, 2010 4:37:46 AM

Hey guys,

I just upgraded my pc to an i7 920 and asus p6t motherboard, I got the parts and I couldn't get it to post. So I sent them back assuming that they were faulty. The company I bought the parts from (megaware computers) tested the parts and got them to post, the guy there said that he removed the battery on the motherboard and replaced it an it worked from then on, so he shippe them back and I've just put it all back together and I cannot get it to post anything, tried removing parts one at a time and anything else I can think of... Nothing.. So very frustrated can you guys please help me??

Thank you in advance

Jamie

More about : intel 920 asus p6t refuses post

February 4, 2010 6:36:16 AM

Hey thanks for the link, just tried a complete bare bones start, nothing but the CPU fan and psu connected. Still won't post. I think it might be the psu, it is a 750 watt Titan brand psu, think it's a bit dodgy. Any other pointers as This is my first build and I don't know that much... Thanks guys
m
l
Related resources
February 4, 2010 7:04:51 AM

Sounds like the problem I had with the Asus P5K Intel Core 2 socket motherboard. Both the motherboard I bought from Fry's and the replacement one Asus sent me would only get part way through the POST and then freeze up. This happened even when the graphics card was the only peripheral installed. Intel makes the only truly stable motherboards out there for Intel processors.
m
l
February 4, 2010 9:03:57 AM

Yeah Im taking the psu back tomorrow to see what the deal is, the psu is a Titan brand psu, bought it for $90 AUD and heard around that a good quality psu costs at least $150, all I had connected was the psu CPU and CPU fan, knowing 100% that the mobo and CPU are fine because I sent it back to get tested and it's good. So it can only be the psu, and recomendations on a psu, need at least 700 watts and would lik a modular cable system but it's not totally necessary.

Thanks guys

Jamie
m
l
February 4, 2010 1:09:48 PM

I'm a fan of Antec and Thermaltake when it comes to cases and powersupplies.
Out of the combined 4 (2 of each brand) none of them have died on me, and are still kicking away.

Look into the Thermaltake Toughpower. I believe they have a 700w modular PSU that is pretty stable.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 89 V Motherboard
February 4, 2010 2:17:33 PM

Have you performed EVERY step in the checklist linked above? #2 on the checklist is by far the most common mistake. RAM issues are also pretty common. Pay extra attention to steps 6 - 8 in the checklist to rule out the RAM as the issue.
m
l
February 4, 2010 6:56:10 PM

Shortstuff, I have tried booting with the 4 pin and 8 pin power cables plugged in, neither way makes it boot, I have tried both sticks of ram ( one at a time ) in each ram slot that the mobo has, and tried it without ram at all, still nothing... This morning I tried to boot again and CPU fan spun, power cut off, then about 2 seconds later it kicked in again. I can't think of anything else but the psu...

Thanks for the help guys
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 89 V Motherboard
February 4, 2010 7:05:09 PM

I'd like to know the COMPLETE system specs. The symptoms you describe are often caused by RAM issues. The system tries to boot with incorrect BIOS settings, fails, and tries again with "safe" values. That causes the on, off, on again behavior you describe. I'm interested in what exact RAM kit you have. The maximum RAM voltage you can use for i7 chips is 1.65v.
m
l
February 4, 2010 7:15:57 PM

Ok

CPU core i7 920
Mobo asus p6t (not deluxe or se)
Psu Titan 750 watt
Ram corsair xms3 1600mhz 4gb (2x2gb) 9-9-9-24 1.65v
graphics card gigabyte 8600 gt ( from previous biuld )

hope this helps with the problem guys and thanks again

jamie
m
l
February 4, 2010 7:22:55 PM

Are you installing the ram in accordance with the P6T manual. It requires the ram to be in specific slots depending on the number of sticks being used. This threw me off when I did a build with a p6t.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 89 V Motherboard
February 4, 2010 7:23:57 PM

Using dual channel RAM on an i7 920 system is less than ideal since the CPU supports triple channel RAM, but I don't think that's your problem.

Do you have a system speaker plugged into the motherboard so you can hear the BIOS error beeps? We'll just be taking stabs in the dark without one.

Have you tried breadboarding the system where you build it with the motherboard outside the case on a non-conductive surface to rule out a short?
February 4, 2010 7:33:54 PM

Yeah the system speaker is plugged in for sure, and I can't see it being a ram issue simply because I don't have any plugged in right now and still get nothing, have not breadboarded just yet, will give it a go right now. Thanks for the advice with the dual channel ram, I didn't know it worked that way, I was low on cash after the mobo and CPU and planned on adding more ram later...

Thanks
m
l
February 4, 2010 7:47:29 PM

Yeah scud storm, the two ram stick I have go in the two red ram slots closest to the CPU (2nd and 4th) correct?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 89 V Motherboard
February 4, 2010 7:53:53 PM

Yes, when using dual channel RAM you put it in slots A1 and B1 according to pages 2-11 - 2-17 in the manual. Slots A1 and B1 are the first two orange slots.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 4, 2010 7:58:54 PM

The ram goes in the orange slots. And the board supports 1333 default and higher speeds overclocked.

Your problem is the ram.

RMA the ram, buy some triple channel ram either 3G or 6G whatever you can afford, make sure the ram you buy is on the Asus QVL list for ram, and run it like it is supposed to run and it will boot.

Your running dual channel to fast ram in a triple channel mobo, of course you got problems. The store used the right ram and it worked, no surprise there.
m
l
February 4, 2010 8:01:52 PM

I just breadboarded shortstuff and it posted 3 short beeps, this is with nothing plugged in at all, meaning ram problems yes? So I then put the ram sticks in and it posted one long and three short post beeps meaning no video... So plugged in the video card and got one post beep and the bios screen, my god thanks so much guys. Is there a plus rep system on toms? Now I just need to figure out why my case is shorting it out...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 89 V Motherboard
February 4, 2010 8:02:40 PM

daship said:
The ram goes in the orange slots. And the board supports 1333 default and higher speeds overclocked.

Your problem is the ram.

RMA the ram, buy some triple channel ram either 3G or 6G whatever you can afford, make sure the ram you buy is on the Asus QVL list for ram, and run it like it is supposed to run and it will boot.

Your running dual channel to fast ram in a triple channel mobo, of course you got problems. The store used the right ram and it worked, no surprise there.

Yes, the CPU supports triple channel RAM, but you can still use anywhere from one to six sticks of RAM. The system will work with dual channel RAM, it just won't have quite as high of performance as triple channel RAM would.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 89 V Motherboard
February 4, 2010 8:10:47 PM

jamibark_au said:
I just breadboarded shortstuff and it posted 3 short beeps, this is with nothing plugged in at all, meaning ram problems yes? So I then put the ram sticks in and it posted one long and three short post beeps meaning no video... So plugged in the video card and got one post beep and the bios screen, my god thanks so much guys. Is there a plus rep system on toms? Now I just need to figure out why my case is shorting it out...

Nice! That's great news. :) 

The first thing to look for is extra standoffs under the motherboard. Each standoff should have a matching hole in the motherboard. Remove any standoffs that don't line up with a hole in the motherboard. You did use standoffs, right?

The next thing is to make sure none of the little metal tabs on the rear IO plate are shorting out in any of the USB or NIC slots. Sometimes they bend a little as you install the motherboard and get stuck where they shouldn't be.
m
l
February 4, 2010 8:17:21 PM

I just looked in the qvl in the manual for the motherboard and it says that it supports up to 2000mhz ram... There is a line in there that I don't understand fully, the book states that "due to intel spec definition, X.M.P. DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only" what does this mean?

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 89 V Motherboard
February 4, 2010 8:21:43 PM

It sounds like if you're using DDR3 1600 RAM that it will be down-clocked if you use 12GB of RAM (fill all the RAM slots).
m
l
February 4, 2010 8:27:23 PM

Yeah I just used the standoffs from the old motherboard and there was one in the wrong place shorting things out, thank you so much for your help guys, I'm going to return the ram and get some triple channel ram. So just to clarify will 1600 MHz ram be ok or should I get 1333 MHz?
m
l
February 4, 2010 8:30:34 PM

Yeah I just used the standoffs from the old motherboard and there was one in the wrong place shorting things out, thank you so much for your help guys, I'm going to return the ram and get some triple channel ram. So just to clarify will 1600 MHz ram be ok or should I get 1333 MHz?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 89 V Motherboard
February 4, 2010 8:40:59 PM

Good to hear you got things figured out!

1600MHz RAM will work fine if you're only using three sticks of RAM. Are you using a 64-bit OS? If not, you might as well just get 3GB since the OS can't fully use 4GB anyway. If you're using a 64-bit OS, you should get 6GB. Here's a very nice 6GB CAS 7 DDR3 1600 RAM kit that runs at 1.5v:

G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI - Retail $179.99
m
l
February 4, 2010 9:07:39 PM

Thanks so much guys... My pc just booted to bois and everything is going well until I get the error loading operating system message, I have two separate hard drives one running vista ( my girlfriends hard drive ) and I'm running wondows 7 rc 7100 on the other one for better gaming performance, I tried making either one of them boot first in the bios but get the same message, they are both detected and seem to be ok, is this a new hardware configuration error and should I run a repair from a disc?
m
l
February 4, 2010 9:47:54 PM

Best answer selected by Jamibark_au.
m
l
February 4, 2010 10:01:44 PM

Well thankfully the release client of 7 decided to boot for me and I'm transferring all the important stuff from vista over and doing a clean install, thanks again for all your advice guys, you really helped me out... Sorry I was such a noob about things but this was the first time I've ever replaces anything more than ram and gpu before. Thanks again.
m
l
!