Dude i'm flooring my dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Googlybear

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
i have a 256gb SSD (Samsung MZ5PA256HMDR) coming in the mail this week to upgrade my dell 435T 920 computer. i am wondering if the dell BIOS will have any problems with it, or will it recognize the drive without consequence?

tips, suggestions and links are welcome. i'll be using win7 64 bit.

any and all responses are appreciated.

Solution
You'll need to go into the system BIOS and change from IDE mode to AHCI mode. In addition, you'll have to make sure your ssd is designated as the primary/boot drive. Save and continue boot-up sequence. Once the system has booted you'll be able to install Windows on the ssd. Should not be a problem.
You'll need to go into the system BIOS and change from IDE mode to AHCI mode. In addition, you'll have to make sure your ssd is designated as the primary/boot drive. Save and continue boot-up sequence. Once the system has booted you'll be able to install Windows on the ssd. Should not be a problem.

Solution

Googlybear

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
thanks for the response. if i may ask another question please, obviously writing and rewriting to an ssd can cost performance over time, according to some things i have read. my question concerns tools like ccleaner. will the use of this cleaning tool be abrasive to the ssd? currently i use ccleaner twice a day. startup and a couple hours before shutdown. does that wear out the ssd somehow?

Good question.

Performance degradation is not the problem it was a few short years ago. With modern ssd's the combination of the Microsoft Windows TRIM function and the ssd's own garbage collection work very well together.

You might find this article about long term performance interesting:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1618/1/

Googlybear

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
excellent link. thank you, JohnnyLucky.

allow me to offer a link i found in the meantime. it looks pretty useful and i intend to utilize the suggestions within. http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/

if there's anything fishy there let me know. otherwise, thanks again and keep a grinnin!

Status
Not open for further replies.