Sign in with
Your question

Trying to DOWNGRADE Toshiba laptop from Vista to XP

Last response: in Windows XP
September 16, 2012 4:15:23 AM

So I have an old Toshiba A105 S2236 laptop which came standard with Vista. Even after upgrading the RAM to the max of 2 GB, the computer is still too slow. Since there's nothing on there I want to keep, and it's not my primary computer, I decided to install XP Pro on there.

So after inserting the CD-ROM, the first choice to "Install Windows XP" was dim, and not highlighted. Ok, so it won't let me do a backwards install. I then went into BIOS and rebooted from the CD, and everything was ok until it froze on the blue screen with light letters: "Setup is Starting Windows". I tried several times, and got stuck on the same result.

I began searching for a solution on the net, and found that 172 million people had the same problem. While some of them found solutions, they varied from "unplug all peripherals" to "disable video card" to "upgrade BIOS" to "Use a different CD".

So I went into BIOS, disabled Legacy USB, Wireless LAN, etc. Still nothing.

Then I thought, well what the heck... just do a reformat and try it again. But I said to myself, "Self, you know Windows is a PiTA... why don't you do a factory restore from the hidden partition on the hard drive to make SURE that if you reformat C:, you have a backup plan. Well, after searching for hours on how to do a restore, the two main solutions didn't work for me (holding down "0" or tapping "F*" while booting.

So while everything still works, I can neither install Windows XP, or do a factory restore of Vista. I know a downgrade can be done, because the 'net is full of people who did it, but couldn't find drivers. I can't even get that far!

Any help is much appreciated.

And no, "Buy a new laptop" is not a feasible solution at this time.
September 16, 2012 9:28:29 AM

The Toshiba firmware may prevent this from loading.
Several brands are intentionally made to prevent XP from being installed.
Just because you can downgrade other computers does not mean a Toshiba will downgrade.
September 16, 2012 2:26:52 PM

Thanks for the reply.

What I meant was, I saw that other people on the Net have downgraded their Toshiba A105 laptops to XP and the only problem they had was they had to get drivers for the F-keys, media buttons, etc. So now I have all the links to get the XP drivers for these things, but I can't even get that far.
February 13, 2013 3:33:30 PM

Critical Mass said:
Thanks for the reply.

What I meant was, I saw that other people on the Net have downgraded their Toshiba A105 laptops to XP and the only problem they had was they had to get drivers for the F-keys, media buttons, etc. So now I have all the links to get the XP drivers for these things, but I can't even get that far.

Hi,
I am having the same problem trying to downgrade a Toshiba satellite A100-02M from Vista to XP. Some people suggest using XP slipstreamed with SP2, but even producing such a bootable CD is not straightforward; some folks apparently use nlite.
As far as I can make out, it has to do with the laptop's HD which is apparently SATA. Did you solve the problem? if so, I should be grateful for a suggestion.
qubusqubus[at]gmail.com
!