Some sort of bottleneck?

G

I bought this PC pre-built a few years ago. Today, whilst confused by my especially poor performance in Skyrim, I decided to have a look at overclocking(again). I did some tests and, granted I'm a newbie at this, but this is confusing to me.

Graphics card: NVIDIA GT320

According to NVIDIA Inspector, my default clock speeds are 540/790/1302(core/memory/shader). Whether I leave these at the default or overclock, when I play in any game or run something like Kombustor they always sit at 405/324/810, with GPU usage around 99/100%. The temperature never goes avove 76c in Kombustor(which I assume is more continuously intensive than any game). The voltage is at '0.900 V'. The fan jumps up as necessary when running Kombustor. The speeds go down as expected when idle.

My assumption is that it's some sort of bottleneck, but as I said I'm no expert with this stuff. What's the problem? Cheers.

scorpinock2

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
post the rest of your pc specs, but thats an older and lower end gpu so that would probably be the bottleneck. That may even be an integrated card, that particular card can either be dedicated or integrated.

G

What program should I use for the specific specs?

The primary concern though is that the clock speeds are under those of default. Always. Unless I'm misunderstanding what Inspector is telling me.

You could use cpuz to get your system specs, at least for the cpu and the memory. You can also get the info from your OS and that is in system properties. That's a pretty low end gpu, don't expect much from overclocking it. You can try gpuz to watch your clocks of the gpu too. You may be better off getting a new gpu.

G

Yeah, I'm getting a new PC in around a year, but I'm stuck with this one until then and wanted to see if I could squeeze anything extra out of it. Again, the clock speeds being under those of 'default' is confusing me. MSI Afterburner gives me the same supposed speeds, but even under a stress test they never actually go above the numbers I posted above. Regardless, here's the CPU & memory, and the GPU for the sake of it.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q8300 @ 2.50GHz.
Memory: 4GB, DDR3, Dual Channel @ 531.3MHz.
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 320, 1GB memory, clocks (supposedly...) @ 540/1302/790(core/shaders/memory).

G

Looking at the performance level it seems that the clock speeds I get stuck at are those for the 2D Desktop.

Edit: Okay, now I'm confused. Suddenly, after a restart and a good night of sleep Afterburner is telling me that the clock speeds are where they should be, however that's whilst not running any 3D apps. Hmm.

G

That was quick. Apparently it jumps up to the correct speeds when running Chrome, but not when running Skyrim..?

TRENDING THREADS