Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Asus (P6X58D-E) SATAII and SATAIII bios settings

Last response: in Motherboards
September 9, 2010 9:34:13 AM

I am installing a Crucial 128GB SSD (for the Win7 OS, program files and frequently used data files) on one of the two Marvel 9128 SATAIII controller ports. The three HDDs (used for archive data storage and backups) will be on the SATAII controller together with a SATA optical drive. If I put all the settings to auto and the bios does not sort it out correctly my understanding is that it would be correct to configure each of these five drives independently and I would make the SSD an AHCI on SATAIII, the optical drive on the first port of the SATAII controller an IDE drive. Regarding the three SATAII HDDs I believe I could configure them as either IDE or AHCI on ports 2,3 and 4.
I am a amateur and would welcome confirmation my understanding is correct and any views, comments or suggestions – Thank you, anyquist

Best solution

a c 235 V Motherboard
September 9, 2010 12:01:00 PM

My recommendation would be just set all the SATA controller ports to AHCI. It will not effect the optical drives or SATA II hards, along with being a most for the most part on a SSD, and you don't have to worry about having some setup as this type of controller, some on this type of controller... etc.
Related resources
September 9, 2010 6:37:09 PM

tecmo34 said:
My recommendation would be just set all the SATA controller ports to AHCI. It will not effect the optical drives or SATA II hards, along with being a most for the most part on a SSD, and you don't have to worry about having some setup as this type of controller, some on this type of controller... etc.

Thank you for your interest and advice. The link to your new build is invaluable.
m
l
September 9, 2010 6:37:24 PM

Best answer selected by anyquist.
m
l
!