Mainframe componets

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
hello all.
got a simple question, I'm planning to buy a single server for my home and connect to it multiple bunches of inputs, each bunch has a screen, keyboard, mouse and speakers, what special hardware do I need to get?

thanks.

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

nope, I mean by instead of having 3 different computers (screen, keyboard, mouse and case with hw) I want to have one case with hw where I can connect a bunch (monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers) where every bunch is independent e.g. in one specific time, three different users can work on three different bunches and do different things

You can connect each keyboard and mouse to a USB port and each monitor to a video card (you may require two or more video cards). VMware server might work if you assign specific devices to a VM, but using thin clients normally is the way to go. Other members can certainly suggest different solutions, but I presume that it's for office applications and not for gaming.

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

I'm not looking for software solutions, I have a software solution (linux), question is do I need anymore hardware?
also, if I get a for example 6 core cpu, I can use it for gaming (not hardcore thought)
for example, getting a pci usb hub of 4 and (for mouse, keyboard and usb port) and a display card for each terminal. I will need thought a powerful psu.
does anyone know/can guess what level of noise I might expect?

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

multiple reasons including multiple oss, multiple computers, money and girlfriend...

mathmo

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
it made sense to do this years ago when computers were very expensive, but now they are dirt cheap why would you want to go through the hassle of this?

you want to have it service 3 separate users from what I've read, so rather than buying one high powered computer for $2000 (just picking a number for a sake of the example) that can handle all three at once, instead get it like this:

user one does a bit of gaming: $1k machine built up from newegg
user two watches movies, heavy web browsing, uses office apps: $700 sourced from newegg
user three just checks her emails and her favorite news websites: $300 ex-lease computer from your preferred friendly local IT shop

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

thats 2k for 3 comps, my gf won't accept it... don't bother to ask even why, also, I'm not from the us, so newegg is out of the question. computers where I live are expensive, getting a 2K mainframe more money worth.
1.1k for the rest and about 900 for the cpu+mb