Blue Screens after fresh Windows 7 install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkdead14

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Let me start by saying thanks to anyone who offers any kind of advice.

A few days ago my computer started blue screening. It started slow, a BAD_POOL_CALLER every once in awhile. It wasn't too bad, but then my computer became unusable due to constant blue screens. I decided to reformated and start from scratch. This has fixed the problem many times in the past. To make a long story short it it took nearly ten tries to get windows installed. It seemed that anytime the computer ran for more than ten minutes everything froze. This was true while installing windows, and when I tried diskpart clean all. The clean fuction was particularly strange as when I typed "List disk" my SanDisk 120GB SSD showed up as disk 0, but after ten minutes of "clean all" an error message woulld appear. At that point if I did "List Disk" again the SanDisk no longer appeared on the list. Anyway I finally got windows installed when I started using a USB drive. The only reason I think that worked was because it was so much faster. Anyway I got the computer up and running, updated every driver possible but I'm still experiencing this problem. I've even flashed the newest bios to my motherboard with no result.

The freezing usually happens after about ten minutes. Everything locks up, but the mouse moves perfectly. After about two or three minutes of being frozen the blue screen appears. The blue screen sometimes reads BAD_POOL_CALLER, sometimes it's KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR, and other times it doesn't give a reason, just a number such as 0x000000F4 or 0x0000007A. The blue screen itself never goes away, it seems to get stuck on "collecting crash dump data" or whatever. It seems that it never actually collects the data. I'm using a program called BlueScreenView and no crash logs appear. I'm suspecting the SSD is failing but I'd like to have some insite from you guys. Thanks again.

Edit: Guess I should throw in some system specs....
MSI P67A-G43 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
SanDisk Ultra SDSSDH-120G-G25 2.5" 120GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P3-1469-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express
650W Corsair Power Supply

Also I've tried switching the RAM around.... to no avail.

Solution
Then I would next check the ssd with Crystal Disk Info to see if it indicates any problems.

If it doesn't show any problems, I would do a secure erase with Parted Magic and then do a clean reinstall. Parted Magic also has some disk tests that might be useful and HERE is a discussion of using it from a usb drive.

Linkdead14

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
I downloaded memtest86 from http://memtest86.com/. Burned the ISO file using power iso and booted from the CD. I've ran the program three times now and each time it gets to pass: 1% Test 25% then says "Unexpected Interrupt - Halting CPU". The program goes no further after that message. If there is any other data I can give you from the program let me know.

Edit: Hold on, it gave me an option to run an older version and I'm doing os now.... This one seems to be working.

RealBeast

Titan

You should run version 4.2 from memtest.org that I linked -- it is the only "new" version available.

Linkdead14

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

Hey Peacher thanks for the input.

It always freezes, 100% of the time about 5-10 minutes into powering up. If it let it idle it takes about ten minutes. If I start using the computer it takes a lot less times. Sometimes it's even instant; but always after freezing for 1 minute or so it blue screens and freezes on the blue screen. I never get a crash dump.
I've tried resetting the bios, yes.

Linkdead14

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Best answer selected by Linkdead14.
n
nI cleaned the drive with Part Magic and re-installed without a problem. Now I'm back up and running. Two hours so far and no sign of freezing or blue screens *knock on wood*. Thanks for the assistance!
n
nI'm thinking maybe encrypting the SSD with truecrypt was the problem. When I first did it I didn't understand the mechanics of a solid state hard drive, how tying up 100% of the drive hurt performance. After I learned I re-formated and re-installed windows without truecrypt but I guess it didn't truly reset the drive (but Parted Magic along with the fresh install did). What'd ya think Realbeast?

Status
Not open for further replies.