Why Im always losing my connection?

CinimoD

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
Recently I installed a WiFi network at home. I have a desktop in the basement and a laptop at the second floor. My router is a Linksys 802.11B BEFW11S4 version 4 with the latest firmware installed. My laptop has a PCMCIA Intel PRO/Wireless 2011B card with the latest drivers.

My problem is that when I open my laptop and go on the internet my desktop and/or laptop lose connection. (Not very long, only 30-60 seconds and then the connection works again by itself, I don't have to touch anything... it just comes and goes..). However, when my desktop is the only one running I don't have any problem. (no lost of connection)

Do you have any idea what might be the problem?

Thank you in advance!

Flagg7771234

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2004
I have seen this same problem. I thought it was due to the lap top going into hibernation mode and breaking the connection. Once the laptop woke it needed to make a new connection thus requireing user intervention.

This is normal, and I'll bet it is tied in with the laptop and it's "power save modes" or the security on the router requesting a connection. I have also seen this on a 2002 ppc from toshiba.

kevin

Flagg CNE MCSE CCNA
YAHOO IM @ flagg7771234