Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Too much stress on water pump?

Last response: in Overclocking
October 19, 2012 3:05:17 AM

I have a Swiftech MCP355, and want to travel through a 2x140mm rad, two 580 waterblocks, 4x120mm rad, and about 5 ft of tubing. Yes I know this sounds like overkill cooling... but the question is, can the pump handle it?

My other option is 355 -> 2x140 -> two 580 waterblocks -> 1x140 -> 5 ft. But this will leave my CPU to the 4x120, and THAT is overkill for sure

Thanks

More about : stress water pump

a c 324 K Overclocking
October 19, 2012 1:27:14 PM

Either way, you are overkill on radiator, but that's fine.

And yes, your pump should be fine to run that, however, are you running the CPU in that loop, or is that cooled via something else? You mention the CPU on the 4x120 in the last sentence...but no mention in the original loop idea.

If you are going to do one loop, you should be fine. If you ran 2 loops, run the CPU with the 2x140 and the 580's with the 4x120. Or you can get a secondary pump and run both pumps in serial on a single loop which would be the best option.
Score
October 19, 2012 1:55:44 PM

Sorry for lack of detail on the other loop.

Here is what I would like to do for the entire system:

Loop 1: short loop: reservoir/pump --> CPU --> 1x140mm rad --> reservoir/pump

Loop 2: long loop: reservoir/pump --> 2x140mm rad --> GPU1 --> GPU2 --> 4x120 rad --> reservoir/pump

I am just afraid the Swiftech MCP355 will struggle pushing water through two gpus and two large rads.. thats alot of water and friction in the loop.

Ive been running my two 580s through the 4x120 for two years (yes i cleaned it out a year ago), and ive been a little disappointed in the 4x120 alone. In that time ive been running the CPU on the 2x140, and the air through that rad is always much cooler than 4x120. So.. when I upgrade the cpu this winter, i figured I may as well buy a 1x140mm for the cpu, and add the 2x140 to the GPU loop.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 324 K Overclocking
October 19, 2012 2:03:09 PM

Shouldn't bee too much for a DDC pump to push through all that; they have good head pressure. Why do you feel the 4x120 isn't cooling your 580's? And BTW, traditional radiators are some of the lowest restrictive components in a loop besides straight tubing in almost every instance.

Is anything being overclocked?

Have you calculated your total loop TDP? Your two 580's will be pulling in right around 500w (244x2 = 488 @ stock speeds) and depending on CPU...likely around 95-125w @ stock speeds. Your current rads are more than enough to handle this load...even a bit more when overclocked.
October 19, 2012 2:35:44 PM

Yea, the CPU ive been using is i7-990x @ 4.5 Ghz. FREE upgrade plan with who I got it from.. so going to an i7-3970x this winter, b/c why not?

and the GPUs I overclock slightly when Im playing a graphic intense game. Im usually running at 2560x1440. and overclock around 850/2100? temps get around 58C after an hour at max load.. which is good

BUT..

If I overclock any higher, the temps remain at ~58C but i'll begin to get artifacts at that temp.

I realize added cooling might not help, but I'll be prepared for a gpu upgrade anyway when the time comes.
Score
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 19, 2012 2:54:31 PM

I wouldn't think you should be seeing temps like that...those seem high by about 10C at full load...maybe even 15C. And you should in no way be artifacting at those temps, so this leads me to believe something else is going on either with the blocks or how they are mounted.

Did you mount the GPU blocks? Are they parallel or serial config in the loop?
Score
October 19, 2012 3:49:14 PM

I installed one GPU block, and a friend did the other. Also, both GPUs run at the same temp +- 2C... so I would expect they are installed correctly. Blocks are from Koolance. ... and they have had extreme use over the past 2 years.

They were around 54C max load when new.

They are in serial config.

I wouldnt be suprised if something else is going on... If I had to guess, based on your previous post, its the tubing reducing flow. In order to keep everything neat in the front, I ran a large section of tubing behind the motherboard.

My Current GPU loop looks like this:

res/pump(high in case) --> 2 ft tubing(flowing down, below pump) --> GPU 1 --> 2 inch tubing(up) --> GPU 2 --> 1.5 ft tubing(up) --> 4x120 rad --> 2.5 ft tubing(going first down below res, then back up to res)

thats ~7 ft tubing in one loop.

I was trying to avoid tubing pinch by not having any sharp turning in the tubing, prolly should have just bought a couple 90 degree fittings.

Thanks for your help on this
Score
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 19, 2012 3:56:57 PM

Tubing reduces flow by such a minimal amount per linear foot, its not really worth mentioning.

I have over 9 feet of tubing in my loop, 1 CPU block, 2 GPU blocks, 2 3x120 radiators and a single MCP655 (D5) pump, which has higher flow and about the same head pressure as your MCP355 (DDC) pump. I've also had over 10 feet with several 90 degree bends and still didn't see temps over 45-47C on my older cards. A 4x120 is plenty to cool 2x580's even when overclocked.

I would just expect to see lower load temps from your GPUs; are they universal blocks or full-cover? Do your radiators need to have the dust cleaned out from where the fans have blown through? You'd be surprised how much difference dust build up can make, and it acts like an insulator.
Score
October 19, 2012 4:17:57 PM

The 4x120 is pull config. I blow it out through the radiator and through the fans regularly but I cant see whats going on between the fans and the radiator. I would expect theres some dust stuck in there, but not a ton.

Again, the temps climbed over 50C when new, when there was no dust.

It might just be my room, you may have your PC in a cooler room, or right next to an air vent. My room gets very hot when ive been gaming for an hour+ with the door closed. It might get over 80F.. i should check with a thermometer one day. Small room, and my friend has a PC with one 7870

The blocks are full cover
Score
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 19, 2012 5:54:07 PM

My office gets fairly warm over the course of a couple hours, so it's possible that you might see these temps, but I'd think you should still see temps closer to what you saw when the loop was new. You might want to pull the fans and make sure they are allowing airflow through the rad to the fans.

My advice would be to run 2 pumps in a single loop with all components...no real need to run dual loops. If you were planning to buy another pump anyway, you really already have that budgeted and a single, large loop would cool better in theory as long as your flow rates are good (0.75-1.5gpm+ or so) and your radiators can handle the heat load of your components...which they should.
Score
October 19, 2012 7:01:06 PM

Thanks.

Yes, I already have two pumps running dual loop. Both pumps in a single loop would make more cooling sense. However, what is the probability that one pump will run slightly slower/faster than the other? Even though they are the same model, I could see slightly difference resistances between the loops, or pumps recieving slightly different power. And what would be the effect?

Anyway, I might remove the possiblity of the problem being the cards or waterblocks... because I now have a friend inquring to buy the cards with the stock air coolers. If I sell them, I may upgrade to the new EVGA 680 4gb hydrocopper.

The extra 5 GB video ram id gain for 2560x1440 and lower operating power might be worth the ~$1000 difference in the long run. Hell, with those on three radiators, I could almost turn off my fans when not gaming and cool passively.

Plus, id have an extra friend with a computer capable of playing games, and covering my back during online firefights ;p
Score
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 21, 2012 3:07:18 AM

You'd be fine running the pumps in serial if you decided to do so...if you were overly concerned about minor differences in flow, just space them with components between them in the loop and this would offset anything like this.

Personally, I would run them one after another in serial or with a dual pump top, but that's just me.
Score
October 24, 2012 3:49:26 PM

Best answer selected by guzami77.
Score
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 24, 2012 3:50:39 PM

This topic has been closed by Rubix_1011
Score
!