Mike here. So I almost have all the components for my build:

Antec 1200
Antec CP-850
MSI 790FX GD70
Phenom 965 Black
OCZ Black Edition 1600 2x2GB
Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit
GPU...?

Now I'm wondering about connecting to the internet, and I'm not sure what to do here.

I like the "less wires the better" approach, so I'd like it if the new PC was Wifi, but I'm blank in this area.

I have Comcast, a cable modem that leads to a wireless router, and an ethernet cable that plugs into my old PC currently.

For the new PC, how would I make it WiFi? Is Wifi going to offer "less" performance than a hard wire?

What do I do here?

Thanks everyone.

Mike

hopkiller

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
It also depends on what kind of wireless router you have. If you have anything less then a N router and you want to play games, or stream media, you are better off going Ethernet. Also if you are doing a lot of file sharing or downloads, your best bet is Ethernet, unless you have a N+ router, which would be OK. If you are close to your modem and router just use Ethernet, and don't bother with wireless.

mirzai_m

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010

Thanks for the reply. I'll be gaming (I'm not "haaaardcore", but I like MMO's and some FPS) and then general use. Is the difference something that would show up only as a minute numerical disparity in a diagnostic program or do you think there would be a "real world" performance lag that would disappoint an average guy like me? I know Wifi technology has evolved considerably, but I don't want it to suck either. Thanks again.

mirzai_m

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010

Good advice, thank you very much.

I wouldn't use wireless if you have the option of a wire. The ping on wireless can get pretty bad. You also risk dropped connections. Yes, there is certainly a "real world" difference, especially when gaming online. Wireless N has come a long way, but it's still not as good as a wire.

donovands

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Desktops generally use wired connections unless distance to modem/routers is very large. The main benefit of wireless is that it lets laptops roam. Performance-wise you want wired.