A very bad , bad sector

XAKEP

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Hi guys !

You know how it is right you have haqrd drive for a year or so while warranty is on and everything is peachy, then warranty is gone and BOOM you're screwed , because your hard drive is a goner. Well here is what is going on. My complete movie library is on External WD hdd and today I got another 3D title want to get on hard drive and just to make sure everything is okay I looked at SMART and .... damn. Basically my question is is there something can be done to minimize spread and degradation of sectors and beside RAID1 anything I can do to minimize data loss ? Look at image and may be you have some other toughs.
hdd.jpg

Thanks !

P.S.

Now I am looking at this thing myself and according to power on counter drive has been operational for over 30000 hours that represent about 3.4 years ....now that's not bad yet I remember this old Maxtor drives used to last forever .....

Rellocation events are not all that uncommon and they're not something to worry unduly about. It just means that the drive detected some errors when reading the data but was able to correct them - and it's moved the data to spare sector for safety.

If you're getting a LOT of reallocation events and the number keeps going up, then you have something more serious to worry about.

And if you have any "Pending sectors" that's bad news because it means the drive is unable to read the data from those sectors, period. The errors are severe enough that the drive can't fix the data using its error correcting codes - so that means the data in those sectors is effectively lost.