Sign in with
Your question

Loss of Video Drivers

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 28, 2010 9:38:57 PM

I have have to repair my OS and reinstall my NVIDIA drivers each time I crash my system. I have been adjusting my DRAM timings for the past couple of days. The process is very time consuming. Am I doing something wrong or wrong order?

CM HAF 932
MSI NF750-G55
AMD Phenom II x2 550 BE (No OC)
Corsair Dominato GT 1333 for Phenom II's BEMP
EVGA GTX 260

Installed Windows 7 64-bit
Installed Drivers CD
Installed Windows updates
Updated Drivers
Adjusted BIOS for SLI Conf.

1. Adjust timings
2. System crashes
3. No reboot into BIOS(Blank Screen)
4. Turn off power
5. Unplug power
6. Remove GPU
7. Clear CMOS
8. Plug power cord back in
9. Turn on Computer
10. Must run Windows repair option
11. System boots back up
12. Turn off computer
13. Install GPU
14. Adjust BIOS for SLI
14. Repeat

More about : loss video drivers

a b Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
January 29, 2010 10:27:08 AM

Some points:

1. Until your RAM timings are fixed, stick with a single graphics card.
2. *Use Acronis True Image to make an exact image of your C-Drive. More at bottom.
3. **Test ram with Memtest. If there are problems you can find them before even starting the Operating System. In fact, you could even unhook your hard drive(s) completely.

Other:
1. Are you trying to overclock or is there an issue getting your RAM to work at default speeds?
2. You may have a bad RAM stick. If you have four modules, try just two and run Memtest overnight. If you have two, try just one.
3. For now, do what it takes to install Windows and get up and running stably (glitches in RAM could introduce errors in your installation. Underclock your RAM if necessary for stability). Then, make an image with Acronis to a second hard drive (or a second partition on the same hard drive but that's less reliable.)
4. Use updates from the Internet. They are newer. The only one you may need from the CD is the main motherboard chipset driver.

With a little more information I could help more. For now, try this. If you are overclocking your RAM, don't. It likely wouldn't make any difference.

*Acronis True Image:
1. Install the program.
2. Make an Image of Windows + drivers. (I have four images. One basic, a second with more programs, a third with everything tweaked, and a fourth which I periodically delete and replace to stay up to date. I also backup my e-mail and other data manually though I tend to keep my files like Office Documents on the second partition and copy to the second hard drive. it's less work to restore to C-Drive if my important files are on D-Drive.) I have a folder on my second hard drive (a 1TB WD Green). It has five sub-folders. The first four are for each of my Images and the fifth is for an Outlook image which the latest Acronis True Image can update every day automatically!

I use HIGH compression and DVD-R sizes (4.3GB). Note: to span to DVD you must select your DVD-drive as the source during backup. You can copy files to DVD's later but these would need to be copied BACK to a hard drive folder to RESTORE properly.

Make sure you create a boot disc for Acronis True Image. I have a backup on DVD made after installing Windows and Acronis True Image (nothing else). I added Acronis True Image and Acronis Disc Director Suite 10 (a separate program which I use to partition; Windows can partition at boot but not later).

**Memtest. This finds 99% or more of errors with your RAM setup. It might not find errors that are caused by your Power Supply being under a higher load (in Windows). There may be other rare reasons why errors aren't detected. Major errors would be detected within minutes or seconds.

http://www.memtest.org/ (get Version 4)

You may need to change the BOOT ORDER in your BIOS. I have mine set to:
1) floppy (or USB. other choices may be available.)
2) CD/DVD
3) hard drive

Summary:
1. Install Windows if possible then backup to second partition, second hard drive (better) and/or a DVD.
2. If default settings for RAM work, just use them for a while to ensure system stability. In fact, if they work fine just leave them alone completely as overclocking on your setup should make no difference
3. If you must change RAM settings (timings and voltage) change them then reboot into Memtest
4. Try changing only one setting at a time such as just the voltage (increasing timings but not the voltage is a common reason for failure. Same as for the CPU).
5. Check for BIOS update.
6. Learn how to properly backup and RESTORE. Not just Windows but also pictures. Know what to do in any situation such as a bad hard drive or stolen computer (leave your backup hard drive in an area difficult to steal from and consider butting backup disc of pictures etc in a postal box).
!